• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

PCOS and breast feeding..

Kota

Mum and Preg!
Reaction score
Hey ladies,
Just wondering if you could offer any advice, I've just now seen that ladies with PCOS can have issues with BF'ing due to a lack of milk production, While I'm only in 2nd tri, BF'ing was something that I intended on doing from the start and am now slightly concerned that this may not be possible.
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago and while I dont' think its very severe.. ie/ i had a reg 32 day cycle for the last 2-3 years and fell pregnant on the first month trying. I'm still worried what this may mean for BF'ing.

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences/advice they could give regarding this?

thanks

I have PCOS (slightly longer cycle than you and took 2 years to concieve) and breastfeed succesfully. I'm not familiar with the connection with PCOS and BF, never know there was one! I'm sure someone will be able to shed more light but there are things you can do to help your supply, eat well and drink plenty of water, lots and lots of skin to skin and fenegreek has helped alot of members here and rest. I used to just spend the first few weeks sat on the sofa with big bottles of water and OH fetching me food! In the first few weeks your LO will want to feed lots and you may worry they are not getting enough but that is normal newborn behaviour!

I didnt know there was a link either.
My milk started to dry up a little - but this may have been due to :
  • Alex being in neonatal for all this time
  • Me not expressing enough times(I couldnt bf her at the time)
  • ...or maybe, now you mention it, PCOS
But i tootled off to the doctors and fought for a drug called Domperidone, which helped immensly. Its an anti sickness drug but can help mothers with the level of milk.

Theres also herbal supplements you can take though, like Fenugreek, and Fennel tea(which is quite nice!) which can also help.

Then theres Brewers Yeast - absolutley disgusting stuff but worth it.

Thats all to say if you do have problems, but I doubt you will - but I'm just letting you know there is a Plan B out there !

I have PCOS and I was actually told when I was 14 that I would never be able to conceive. But I did, and I have been breastfeeding for the past 9 months successfully. I also donated milk for a while to my friends baby, so on top of my baby nursing through out the day, I was pumping anywhere from 8-12 oz for my friends baby daily.
You'll be fine. Whether or not you have enough milk has to do more with chance.

Thanks ladies!! It's nice to hear some positive things about it, it was just a random comment made in a 2nd tri thread that got me researching and there does seem to be a lot of info out there about it. However that does all say that you could be just as fine as not.
Not going to worry about it for the moment now though, however its great to know that should there be a supply issue that there is things that I can take to help that!!
Thanks again,

I too have PCOS and have sucessfully breastfed Max for the past 11weeks.

Fennel tea is very good if your supply needs a little boost.

Best of luck and congratulations xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"