PCOS and Clomid

Nettienoo

Reaction score
Im 33, married and have been tlc for 3 years. Currently on Cycle 1 of clomid. I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager due to irregular periods. The older I've come the less my periods have become. My husband and I decided to seek medical help when 18 months passed with no period.
We were both tested, hubby's tests all ok. My fallopian tubes were clear but they found several cysts on my ovaries.
I was given Norethiserone to bring on a bleed and then clomid to be taken days 2-7. I attended for progesterone bloods on day 21 however due to my consultant being off sick, no-one @the hospital will provide my test results. I find this so frustrating but have to wait for my consultant to return. :growlmad:

Anyway I'm now on day 36 on my cycle and showing no signs of AF. I've tested several times but BFN:nope:
However from days 22 onwards my breasts have been so sore and my nipples sensitive and erect more than usual. Sorry tmi.
From days 30 onwards I'm getting strong shooting pains and burning in my ovaries. More on my right ovary but definitely both. I'm scared the the clomid hasn't made me O and is agrivating my pcos. I've gained weight without trying and hair growth on my face is becoming out of control since about day 10.

A friend mentioned asking for metformin instead of clomid. My next appointment with hospital is in 2 days.
Shall I ask for metformin? What if they say no?

Feeling v confused and worried that clomid is doing more harm than good.

Has anyone out there had similare experience who can advise?
Thanks

Im 33, married and have been tlc for 3 years. Currently on Cycle 1 of clomid. I was diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager due to irregular periods. The older I've come the less my periods have become. My husband and I decided to seek medical help when 18 months passed with no period.
We were both tested, hubby's tests all ok. My fallopian tubes were clear but they found several cysts on my ovaries.
I was given Norethiserone to bring on a bleed and then clomid to be taken days 2-7. I attended for progesterone bloods on day 21 however due to my consultant being off sick, no-one @the hospital will provide my test results. I find this so frustrating but have to wait for my consultant to return. :growlmad:

Anyway I'm now on day 36 on my cycle and showing no signs of AF. I've tested several times but BFN:nope:
However from days 22 onwards my breasts have been so sore and my nipples sensitive and erect more than usual. Sorry tmi.
From days 30 onwards I'm getting strong shooting pains and burning in my ovaries. More on my right ovary but definitely both. I'm scared the the clomid hasn't made me O and is agrivating my pcos. I've gained weight without trying and hair growth on my face is becoming out of control since about day 10.

A friend mentioned asking for metformin instead of clomid. My next appointment with hospital is in 2 days.
Shall I ask for metformin? What if they say no?

Feeling v confused and worried that clomid is doing more harm than good.

Has anyone out there had similare experience who can advise?
Thanks

Hi,

I haven't had a similar experience, but I do have PCOS. When ttc I was initially put on Metformin, hoping that, that would regulate my cycles and possibly ovulation would occur however that did not happen. I did become regular but no ovulation and then we added Clomid into the mix, so maybe you can ask for Metformin and then take Clomid once your cycle starts?

I went down the Clomid road before doing IVF.

I was up to 300mg (and had ovarian drilling) before it made me ovulate for 3 cycles only. I knew I had ovulated as my boobs really hurt afterwards (progesterone rise). It was confirmed with the day 21 blood tests. Those 3 cycles I ovulated I had relatively normal length cycles for once in my life though. But clomid can do so much to your body and has horrid side effects. My OBGYN also had me on metformin 3 times a day even before starting the clomid. He said it can't hurt for anyone with PCOS. It made me so sick so I had to stop taking it though.

Hope you can get some answers at your next appointment... mention EVERYTHING to them.

Hi girls and thank you for your advice.
I'very noticed some very light pink spotting and some cramping has begun. I'm guessing AF is on her way which I'm pretty gutted about. On the positive side I'm getting a period so there's a possibility I've o'd for the first time in a long time.
I'm back at the hospital tomorrow so will discuss metformin and if it's for me.

Thank you again. It really helps to speak to others with similar experiences.

Fingers crossed our little surprise is just around the corner

I took metformin with clomid and both times I got a bfp on the first round of clomid.

Metformin regulated my periods, and even though I had them every 29-30 days I still never ovulated. I was on metformin for 3 months before starting clomid. Also it helps charting, or taking opk

:cry:I have been trying for 5 years with a year break because of surgery, but i had an hsg done on october (blocked left tube) :growlmad:so i had my share of obstacles and also pcos but then doctor gave me clomid and the 1st dosage didnt work then i refilled for 2nd round of 50 mg but this time i accepted his advice of mixing with metformin.. i was suppose to take it 3 times but i got nervous of going into low blood sugar so i took it once or twice a day depending if i felt i needed it (not recommending to do this) .

I really started not caring because was stressing myself too much and was becoming very disappointed and actually had 2 alcoholic drinks and chai tea cause like i said , I just stopped caring. then 2 days before my period my underwear had tons of brown and period red flow and i was devastated but it only happen that day and then it was just light tan spotting and 5 days of missed period i took an answer brand test strip and a positive.(yesterday:happydance:)

...so what I am saying is that try clomid with metformin for a real chance at getting baby because if you have pcos ..there may be a slight chance you might have a bit of insulin resistance.

Well I went back to see my consultant on day 37 of cycle 1 of clomid. AF arrived on cd 39.
Based on bloods taken on day 21 my consultant thinks I hadn't ovulated on round 1 of clomid. Is it possible I ovulated late and that's why AF arrived cd 39.
The consultant wouldn't give me metformin. She wants to give clomid chance to work.

Here's hoping round 2 works. It's just difficult to to know when I'm O. Clomid has dried up CM, and it's also interfering with my cbfm.

Try using preseed, It's a fertility aid lubricant.

Also, have you tried temping? It would give you an idea quicker than waiting for labs if you ovulate.

I tried clomid for 3 rounds and all 3 did absolutely nothing. I have pcos and was deemed clomid resistant which sucks! I have also been taking metforim to try and help regulate me, which i have been taking but it makes me very nauseous.
fx clomid works for you

I tried clomid for 3 rounds and all 3 did absolutely nothing. I have pcos and was deemed clomid resistant which sucks! I have also been taking metforim to try and help regulate me, which i have been taking but it makes me very nauseous.
fx clomid works for you

Have you had ovarian drilling done for your PCOS? I was put on 50, 100 then 200mg clomid with no response while on metformin. My OBGYN said I was clomid resistant too. Last ditch attempt at clomid we did ovarian drilling. Only after my drilling and being bumped to 300mg I ovulated 3 cycles in a row. With hubby's low count and motility we didn't fall pregnant those times though and then 4th round my body didn't ovulate again so we went down the IVF road.

fx clomid works for you

Have you had ovarian drilling done for your PCOS? I was put on 50, 100 then 200mg clomid with no response while on metformin. My OBGYN said I was clomid resistant too. Last ditch attempt at clomid we did ovarian drilling. Only after my drilling and being bumped to 300mg I ovulated 3 cycles in a row. With hubby's low count and motility we didn't fall pregnant those times though and then 4th round my body didn't ovulate again so we went down the IVF road.

I had surgery a year ago to remove my endo and have a hgc and d&c.
I have asked my surgeon about ovarian drilling an he said in august last year " if your not pregnant by your next follow up appointment in march 2015" then we will look into ovarian drilling.. he also said to me that from the outside of my ovaries they don't look polycystic and refused listen and pretty much said i was lying about it... even after i said my well known fs said i have it and i have all notes and ultrasounds showing it.. all he was concerned about was if i was having aby pain from endo.

my partner and I are doing ivf in march soo I figure no point in doing the ovarian drilling unless ivf doesn't work maybe?

fx clomid works for you

I had surgery a year ago to remove my endo and have a hgc and d&c.
I have asked my surgeon about ovarian drilling an he said in august last year " if your not pregnant by your next follow up appointment in march 2015" then we will look into ovarian drilling.. he also said to me that from the outside of my ovaries they don't look polycystic and refused listen and pretty much said i was lying about it... even after i said my well known fs said i have it and i have all notes and ultrasounds showing it.. all he was concerned about was if i was having aby pain from endo.

my partner and I are doing ivf in march soo I figure no point in doing the ovarian drilling unless ivf doesn't work maybe?

If you are going down the road of IVF, then ovarian drilling would probably be a waste of time. My OBGYN said that it is something they do before IVF to help get people ovulating with PCOS. Fingers crossed IVF is successful for you. We are about to do another frozen transfer in early March. I had forgotten how much of an emotional rollercoaster it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->