PCOS and hypothyrodism?

vanessa24

Reaction score
Hello ladies, I have pcos and hypothyroidism but can't see the doctor until the 21st when I'm 8 weeks. I take levothyroxin and metformin so I was wondering whether i should continue to take them or not? I've heard metformin can help prevent mc in women with pcos but I'm not sure. Can these meds harm my baby?

I can't vouch for the metformin, but as someone who is thyroidless and on my second pregnancy, I can tell you to NEVER stop taking the levothyroxine! Not unless a doctor ever tells you to, with good reason. Be sure to keep all your appointments with your endo, too. Your meds may need to be adjusted over the course of your pregnancy.
Oh, and Congrats!

I am 7 weeks and have pcos and hypothyroid too, STAY ON YOUR MEDS! thyroid one is totally safe class a and metformin is b which is fine too :) I quit takin my thyroid one and Dr wasn't happy lol back on ot now though....Congrats to you!!

So you have seen the doctor already? Were you able to see a hearbeat? What are the chances of mc with Pcos? lol Sorry for the 20 questions and I understand if you don't have the answers I'm just really freaking out! lol

Yes saw the Dr.....I have had two perfect babies with pcos and this time seems to be going well...I had to see Dr for unrelated issues(possible Tubal) which showed low progesterone so now I am on supplements....I have heard that sometimea pcos can cause that but with my other two I never had an issue so not sure if that os related.....you might ask your Dr to check your progesterobe just to be sure....is this your first?

Oh and saw fetal pole and yolk sac but Dr said wouldn't be able to hear heartbeat til next sono this week or next....can't wait!!! ( was 5w6d at last sono)

Yes this is my first and I was always told it would be difficult to get pregnant so this is a miracle for me. I'm really excited but so nervous and scared of the possibility of having a mc. I really hope everything goes well with you and you get to hear your baby's heartbeat next time :). Thanks for all your advice, its nice to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through...

You bet....and thanks me too.....try not to stress!!! And I agree pcos babys are miracles beyond the norm! Keep me posted

Oh and what is the fetal pole and yolk sac? Sorry to sound so ignorant but I really am new to this lol...

hey huni levothyroxine is fine keep taking it thats what im on just had my 12 week scan and baby healthy xxx

I have PCOS and was advised that the only time I should stop the metformin is while breastfeeding. I am to continue taking it throughout my pregnancy. I'm not sure what the percentage of mc is for women with PCOS, but I do know it is decreased by taking metformin, so keep on truckin'! Congrats!

Keep taking your levothyroxine, in fact your doc should have already increased your dosage. If not, you might wanna call your endocrinologist/md (whoever prescribes it). My doc increased my dosage immediately to make sure it stayed under control.

I agree you need to stay on your levothyroxin as it would actually be worse for the baby if your thyroid was all out of whack! I can't say about the other but I would call your doctor office and ask them what is best. It's never a good idea to just stop taking medications!

They just checked my thyroid levels when I went in but they didn't need to increase my dose.

Hi,
I have hypothyroidism and PCOS too. I would make sure that when you go they do a blood test to check your TSH (thryoid). I didn't have to take meds prior to gettiing pregnant b/c my levels were borderline, but my thryoid level really increased once I became pregnant to 5.6 so I'm taking the synthroid now and the doctor's have advised me to stay on it. They said that your levels change when your pregnant. I don't know about the metformin but I believe I"ve heard of people staying on it througout the first trimester. Maybe you can call and just ask these questions to a nurse prior to your appointment.Are they aware of your situation?

I just had a transvaginal ultrasound scan on Saturday and they said I was 6 weeks 5 days on Sat. We were able to see and hear the heartbeat. :)

Thank you ladies! You have all made me feel so much better and I will continue with my meds until I see a doctor but I think I will try calling them tomorrow just to make sure. This will be my first visit with this doctor so she has no idea about my issues but I'm not sure if they will take me any sooner because of it. Congrats on your u/s Frankie! I can't wait for mine! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->