PCOS and OPKS???

Jamie Sue

Reaction score
Just got my first order of OPKS. I have PCOS and conceived my youngest with crazy cycles and trying for 2.5 years. I am still nursing my 19 month old with no plans to wean, so medication isn't really an option. If my cycles are running crazy long 40-60 days, when should I start testing? Anyone out there have luck using OPKS with PCOS?

Honestly, I have PCOS and I am medicated but OPKs are just never very accurate for me. :( I get like 3 or 4 positives a month.

BUT, if your cycles are 40+ days then I would suggest starting maybe on CD20? Maybe a few days earlier if you are worried about missing it.

For me personally, I just temp and use that to help confirm O since the OPKs don't help me out.

I temped for my last baby but my sleep schedule is so awful (I'm still waking up multiple times a night with my daughter) I'm worried about my temps being all over the place :p

I have PCOS and I would get a + OPK 90% of the time, regardless of whether I was or not. Don't trust them to help you pinpoint! I think there's something to do with hormone levels in PCOSers which messes with them :(

I have the same problem with long cycles and OPKs not being reliable for me.

I cut sugar last cycle and all of a sudden my body behaved itself.
True positive OPK, and EWCM stretched 4"!!!!!

I would still attempt charting again! It's really the best way for those of us with PCOS to confirm O. I think it's still worth trying even if you have some restless sleep.

I would still attempt charting again! It's really the best way for those of us with PCOS to confirm O. I think it's still worth trying even if you have some restless sleep.

Agreed.

Well back to charting I go. I only got 1 positive OPK this month plus had stretchy CM but then AF hit 4DPO... which with PCOS is possible but royaly sucky. Now to just wait for the witch to leave. Here's to next month! :wine:

Well, since you've just begun a new cycle, perhaps you'd like to join us in this thread...
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/ttc-groups/2301481-hoping-first-babies-2016-a.html

:)

I have pcos and have been using opks. I always get a positive and ewcm. But my RE told me that's not reliable for women with PCOS.

I read recently why. In a 'normal' body, when one follicle matures it releases higher levels of estrogen and that signals the brain to release LH to trigger ovulation. In PCOS multiple follicles start to develop and one never becomes the dominant, the multiple follicles release estrogen and the level can increase to the point that the brain thinks there is a mature follicle and releases LH.

Sorry to be a downer. I just found it fascinating to find out why I could have still had the symptoms and not have been ovulating (or ovulating irregularly).

If I were you, maybe try for a few months using the opks, but knowing you have PCOS I wouldn't spend too much time before talking to a doctor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->