• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

PCOS diet and weightloss?

branham22

Reaction score
DH and I have one son who we conceived naturally. After he was born, I went on the Depo birth control shot, gained 50lbs, and developed PCOS. I weigh about 260 lbs. When I got pregnant with ds I weighed 205 lbs. I have had a hard time losing the weight. DH and I were ATTC for 2 1/2 - 3 years with no luck and my cycles were pretty much non-existent. We are now NTNP. My cycles still aren't where they should be- they have been long, but a little more regular (around 42-50 days).

I talked to my doctor yesterday and she is putting me on a diet pill to help and said I need to watch/cut down my carbs in my diet. I know carbs are bad for pcos.

My question is, if I loose some weight, will my cycles become more regular and would it be easier to become pregnant? A lot or a little easier?

Yes, loosing weight should help. Your doc is probably putting you on metformin, that helps improve fertility in PCOS. I don't have that but I do have insulin resistance, which tends to go with PCOS and since I started metformin a few weeks ago I've lost about 5 kg. but you do have to change your diet as well. The best thing for PCOS is to reduce your overall carbs a bit, and go for low Glycemic Index carbs as much as possible. That helps even out your insulin response in conjunction with the metformin.

Once you get that under control and loose a bit of weight that should improve your cycles.

Good luck!

Thank you! No, its not metformin. Its an actual diet pill. I wonder if I could take both?

You should check on that with your doctor, some drugs don't mix well.

Metformin is usually the first drug of choice for women with PCOS, even those with normal A1C levels. My wife has pretty severe PCOS and is in a similar boat. She's currently taking both her metformin and a prescription diet pill and is losing quite a bit of weight. She's also avoiding refined/processed carbs and most sugar.

That's encouraging! :) Thank you for your input! I guess we will see and I will ask my doctor next month when I go back :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"