PCOS -excessive hair growth-dealing with it while ttc and during pregnancy

ltrip84

Mom and pregnant
Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I have PCOS and have been ttc for about a year and a half now. I am currently going to a RE and am taking metformin, actos, and this is my second month on Femara.

This has been in the back of my head ever since I have started ttc... The hair growth from PCOS is so embarrassing and I am wondering how I am going to deal with it. I will even be embarrassed to get an ultrasound once pregnant because I have been shaving my stomach (happy trail and around belly button) since I was about 16. I have thick coarse dark brown hair (almost black) and it is noticeable under the skin even when it is clean shaven. I have tried the epilator but I get ingrown hairs :growlmad:

I have also been concerned about staying in the hospital for any length of time and being able to shave/tweeze my chin. I'm not sure if OH has noticed or not, but he hasn't said anything. I have been hiding from him that I shave or tweeze my face every morning since we have been together!

I know this all sounds petty and I want a baby more than I worry about what other people think about me being hairy.

Has anyone else dealing with this or has dealt with this problem? Any pointers/suggestions/consolations?

One word...electrolysis! It works and it's permanent. I didn't have much of a problem on my stomach, but definitely on the face, which is worse! I feel for you, but don't think you're hiding anything from your hubs. :)

I'm not gonna lie and tell you it doesn't hurt, but if you take an ibuprofen before it helps. Good luck! :hugs:

Itrip, does the Metformin make you sick? I was on it for the beginning of my pregnancy with DD and I felt fine and then I started it again since ttc #2, but I had to stop because I was so nauseous and throwing up from it! I don't know why I'm having such a reaction this time. :( What's your dosage?

Itrip, does the Metformin make you sick? I was on it for the beginning of my pregnancy with DD and I felt fine and then I started it again since ttc #2, but I had to stop because I was so nauseous and throwing up from it! I don't know why I'm having such a reaction this time. :( What's your dosage?

I did the electrolysis a few times and laser once. The laser didn't work -she thinks it's because my chin hair is kind of red (weird, I'm not even a red head, but my dad had a red beard.lol). My biggest problem was that she was only open till 5 to do it and I work in banking (9-5) and she was about 40 minutes away. Plus, I hate having to let it grow out enough to get it done. It's embarrassing. Now I'm getting coarse hairs on my neck and a few here and there on my cheeks. So high maintenance.

How many sessions did you have to have to get it taken care of?

The metformin-- Right now I'm taking 850mg 2x a day. It seems that it is better on my stomach if I take one with breakfast and one with dinner since they are spread out. I did have vomiting a few times when taking one with lunch and one with dinner. I still have diarrhea almost every day, maybe every other day, but it's always in the morning before I go to work so I can deal with that. I have been taking it since March and I feel like I'm just now getting used to it. It seemed that the times I had vomiting, I was really thirsty those evenings for some reason and trying to avoid soda, I drank a lot of fruit juice. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

What was your dosage when you were taking it? Also, did you start out small and work your way up?

Ltrip 84: I'm exactly the same, belly, chin some odd ones here and there, I was tested for pcos when I was 14 and it came back inconclusive I had a higher level of testosterone but they could not determine anything from it. My auntie has pcos too, but I haven't been back to the doctor to test again since. I have had my thyroid checked and that is all fine.

Anyway, I shave everyday but it never stops the kinda five o'clock shadow lol. My husband knows and it does make it a lot easier

Mine might know, and I don't know how he couldn't, but he's the type that (I would think) just come right out and ask "is that hair on your face?" or "are you shaving your face?" He knows I shave my arms--I do it just out of paranoia (sp?) because my hair is so thick and dark.

Having hair everywhere really makes me feel like less of a woman. That along with not being able to get pregnant yet. Have you ever been pregnant? I wonder if it will actually level out the testosterone a little.....

I did the electrolysis a few times and laser once. The laser didn't work -she thinks it's because my chin hair is kind of red (weird, I'm not even a red head, but my dad had a red beard.lol). My biggest problem was that she was only open till 5 to do it and I work in banking (9-5) and she was about 40 minutes away. Plus, I hate having to let it grow out enough to get it done. It's embarrassing. Now I'm getting coarse hairs on my neck and a few here and there on my cheeks. So high maintenance.

How many sessions did you have to have to get it taken care of?

The metformin-- Right now I'm taking 850mg 2x a day. It seems that it is better on my stomach if I take one with breakfast and one with dinner since they are spread out. I did have vomiting a few times when taking one with lunch and one with dinner. I still have diarrhea almost every day, maybe every other day, but it's always in the morning before I go to work so I can deal with that. I have been taking it since March and I feel like I'm just now getting used to it. It seemed that the times I had vomiting, I was really thirsty those evenings for some reason and trying to avoid soda, I drank a lot of fruit juice. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

What was your dosage when you were taking it? Also, did you start out small and work your way up?

I did electrolysis for a few YEARS every other week for 1/2 hour each time. And that was just my face, nothing else! It takes patience and yes, you do have to let it grow out but not a lot! It's the only permanent way to do it.

As far as the metformin, I was on the same dose as you and didn't need to work up to it either. I never got sick the first time I took it, but now it's awful. I'm wondering if I can get away with just taking it once a day. If I do get pregnant, I will definitely start it up again regardless but ask my ob about lowering the dosage.

Also, as far as the hair growth, isn't there a topical prescription cream out there that helps slow it down? I think it's called Vaniqa. Might want to check it out. Just don't know if it's ok do use while prego. Too bad there isn't another electrologist in your area. I was seriously considering getting certified to do it. I'm already an esthetician/skin care therapist so I thought it would be a nice add on. Many women need it and I feel bad when I see them because I feel like saying...ELECTROLYSIS! You don't need to suffer! : )

I completely understand where you are coming from. If you do not have sensitive skin, ask your doctor for Vaniqua. It is not permanent, you have to apply daily. It helps thin out the hair and after a few weeks, but they come back when you stop using it. There are some pills that help. Spironlactone is one of them. Of course, I do not believe the pills are recommended while ttc. I used the Vaniqua and it helped, but it can get expensive and it has to be used constantly. Also, if you have sensitive skin, it will eat you alive!!! I have tweezers and a mirror everywhere I sit in the house. The wonderful world of PCOS!! Gotta love it!! I feel your pain!!!! Hubby jokingly refers to me as "cactus legs". lol

I have but only till 9 weeks (mc) it did slow the growth and I only needed to shave every 3 days.

I have tried spironolactone before and didn't see a difference. Maybe it wasn't a high enough dosage..? Anyways, from what I have read about vaniqa previously, if my memory serves me correctly, you shoudn't use it while pregnant or ttc. I had previously received retin-a from my derm for acne and have stopped using that while ttc also due to his recommendation (since it is absorbed in the skin).

I have moved to a new area since last trying electrolysis, so maybe I will check into it again and see if there is anyone that does it close to me. I kind of doubt it since I still have to drive back to my old area to see an RE. There aren't any around here.

Thank you ladies for your comments.

Mamamoe- I wish I could buy the electrolysis equipment on amazon or something for a decent price. lol. From what I have learned from having it before, it didn't seem that hard to do. I'm sure the equipment is expensive though.

jadoechols- That's funny. In my case, I'm cactus legs, cactus stomach, cactus arms, and cactus face. Or.... just call me cactus!! lol

I'm trying to figure out whether my hair growth is excessive or not but what is excessive?? I have dark hair and have a bit of a happy trail, I also have to have my upper lip waxed and have 1 random hair that grows on my chin! Lol

Is there a website that shows pics of what is excessive?? Xx

I second Sarah's question ^. I've not been diagnosed but have always wondered if it was a possibility based on some symptoms.

I would say excessive is something you do not feel comfortable with. But that is different from state to state..

I think I had a few dark hairs on my snail trail but couldn't see them anyway lol
It's normal for hair growth on the belly when pregnant anyway when I'd remember I'd get hubby to tweeze them

I have tried spironolactone before and didn't see a difference. Maybe it wasn't a high enough dosage..? Anyways, from what I have read about vaniqa previously, if my memory serves me correctly, you shoudn't use it while pregnant or ttc. I had previously received retin-a from my derm for acne and have stopped using that while ttc also due to his recommendation (since it is absorbed in the skin).

I have moved to a new area since last trying electrolysis, so maybe I will check into it again and see if there is anyone that does it close to me. I kind of doubt it since I still have to drive back to my old area to see an RE. There aren't any around here.

Thank you ladies for your comments.

Mamamoe- I wish I could buy the electrolysis equipment on amazon or something for a decent price. lol. From what I have learned from having it before, it didn't seem that hard to do. I'm sure the equipment is expensive though.

The equipment is pretty expensive, especially if you get something good. You really wouldn't be able to do your face yourself though. You really need to see your individual follicles through a magniscope and the needle needs to go in very precisely. You could probably do other parts of your body easier, but the face would be hard to do yourself. I wish there was something easier!

Since coming off the pill my hair situation has got a lot worse. I've always had quick growing leg hair and armpits. I've always had my lip waxed and either shaved/waxed/epilated my arms. When my husband and I started dating he commented on my arm hair and I laughed it off. I told him from the start I have PCOS although im not sure he understands. I've never openly told him I have to pluck hairs from my face/body although before our honeymoon a few weeks ago im sure he caught me epilating my face :s oh well. Men aren't daft and if they know theres problems I think they are more understanding, he's well aware my hormones are messed up!!

Im hoping pregnancy will slow down the hair growth as it will even the hormones (hopefully!!) ... that's if I ever get pregnant :(

I know how you feel kyrabeth- I started epilating/shaving my arms a couple of years ago and my OH was like "Why did you do that?!" and I told him it was because I'm so paranoid about my thick dark hair. Last winter, I decided to let it grow out since I would be wearing long sleeve shirts all of the time and he said "why did you quit shaving your arms?" I said " I dunno. You seemed surprised that I did it in the first place." He said "Well, it doesn't matter to me, but I agree that it's more noticeable since it's so dark." LOL.. If he comes in while I'm tweezing, I just pretend I'm working on my eyebrows. haha..

Do you have a special epilator for the face or do you just use a regular sized one? Also, do you have trouble with ingrown hairs?

Do you have a special epilator for the face or do you just use a regular sized one? Also, do you have trouble with ingrown hairs?

My brawn one has an attachment for the face, but I find it harder to use than the regular attachment so just use that. I've never noticed ingrowing hairs but I do seem to get spots in the same area so its difficult to know. I try and not do it all the time, normally i'll tweeze them out if I have the time but if I need it quick i'll use my epilator.

is your hair pretty thick or is it sparse? My problem would be letting it grow out enough to use the epilator. There is too much of it to try to tweeze it all. I have been using a combo of shaving every morning and some tweezing in hopes that I won't get a shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->