PCOS TTC/Weight frustration, opinions?

clapper

Reaction score
Hello, a little background about myself and our journey. In may 2014 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have none since I hit puberty that something wasn't right because I have never gotten my period regularly and no matter how much I exercised I was still overweight. I have always been active competing in track and field at an all state level, soccer, field hockey and down hill skiing. I was married in June 2014 and we have since been TTC. Even when I was in great shape I was still over 200lb. In August I went to see a RE for help. I was put on metformin (2000mg once a day) and told to come back in 6 months. I asked if I should be charting my BBT but she told me not to waste my time. She also said to try and loose 20lbs if I could but if not, its not the end of the world and we could still continue in 6months. Despite her recommendation not to do it, I did and after a couple of months on the metformin I have been having regular cycles (30-34days) with temperature shifts followed by a 14day LP. Since this doctor was 1.5hrs away, I decided to get a second opinion closer to home in October. This woman never mentioned my weight but did take blood and confirmed I was ovulating. This doctor told me if I wasn't pregnant in 3 months (around this time) to go back to see her and we would continue on with clomid. Yesterday I went back to see the doctor that told me to loose 20lbs if I could and she told me she would not give me clomid or help me any further until I loose at least 10lbs. I was heartbroken. She told me whats another few months, I am 23 afterall. This was what kind of pushed me over the edge. Yes, I am young but that shouldn't prevent you from helping me.

Sorry for the long rambling, but which doctor do you think I should go with? I am working on loosing weight no matter which doctor I go with. I am currently ~275lb but very athletic and active. Honest opinions please.

I might be completely missing the point here, but why are your Drs talking about prescribing clomid if you're ovulating? Losing weight can help the clomid to work better, at higher weights, it's not as effective.. & as you're only allowed to try so many rounds of clomid (I think 5), your dr wants you to have the best chance possible.

I have been diagnosed with PCOS & wasn't having periods at all, I lost 20lbs & the periods started up, along with ovulation. Last cycle, I had a chemical pregnancy & gained a little weight & suddenly my ovulation has stopped! :( GL hun x

They are going to prescribe clomid to better egg quality and size. I might be ovulating by my follicle size could be small or not as mature. I am sorry to hear about your chemical :( I have read that sometimes it will screw up a few cycles but then they will return to normal.

Is there a way to find out the quality of your eggs? Thank you for your kind words, it was really painful losing it like that :(

Back to your original question, which Dr do you feel most comfortable with? Sounds like they're both going to advise the same treatment really.. I'd definitely advise losing weight, but sounds like you're on that :) x

I can't even imagine. Baby dust to you! Hopefully your sticky bean is soon to come. They could track a cycle with ultrasounds to see. But I think that is the only way. Thanks for your honest opinion :) I appreciate it!

Indeed losing the weight (at least 20lbs) will aid your chances of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy. I understand the desire to have a child and feeling the need to get it done ASAP but surely you want the best outcome. I'm also on the same feat to lose weight to assist with conceiving and PCOS. Thus far, I've lost 10 pounds since December 27th and wish to lose more so that I can have that bundle of joy. I think Doc #1 might be striving to ensure you're your healthiest self before, during, and after; so cheer up (as hard as it may seem) and strive for the 10lb loss and return for the Clomid.

kind regards & best of luck.

Thanks :) Good luck to you and your weight loss/ttc journey! Hopefully we both will be successful in a short time. I guess it just feels like this journey only keeps getting longer and longer, someday I will see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->