Pelvic Girdle Pain

starstarstar

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I've been getting really bad pain/discomfort in my lower back for the past few weeks (I'm almost 16 weeks). Long story short - after being told by my doctor that PGP doesn't happen until the end of the pregnancy my midwife told me that he was wrong and it can happen at any time. I've been signed of work for a week and my midwife has told me that a support belt might help. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have seen quite a few but really wanted to get other peoples advice who have been in the same situation. Just to let you know the pain is always in my lower back and gets worse when I do anything especially walking or sitting at my desk at work for a long time. Has anyone bought a decent support belt or have any other advice?

Thank you!

Hi there,

I just had my first physio appt on Monday for PGP. She realigned my hips - one had slipped upwards- and gave me a talk about posture, gave me some exercises to do etc. Top tips included:

Sleep on side with pillow between legs
Do your pelvic floor exercises lots, including when doing things like turning over in bed which HURTS!
Small steps
Keep legs together as much as possible (some irony there given what got us in this position in the first place!)
Posture - don't lean back, stand up straight, chest out, you should feel your weight through the centre of your feet & not through your heels.

I wouldn't buy a support belt, your MW should refer you to a physio (or sometimes you self-refer) & they will tell you if one would be suitable.

Xxxx

Also don't cross your legs & don't carry a heavy bag on one shoulder - should be even loads. Get in the car with two feet - sit in & swing your legs into the car together! Will add if I think of more! X

What Kirsten said really.

I've been having physio for spd and PGP for a few weeks now and it's agony. My left hip is misaligned which causes so much pain. I get it in my lower back, hips, pubic bone. To be honest none of the exercises I have been given help at all. The physio makes it feel slightly better for a couple of days then its worse than ever.

Today I went and can hardly bear any weight on my left leg, I've been told if it doesn't improve by my next appointment in a week then I will be given crutches!

Try to limit the amount you walk and when you do walk go at a slower pace. When getting in and out of the car and when getting up always keep your legs together, sleep with a pillow under your bump and between your knees. Sit on a birthing ball/exercise ball whenever you can at home as it gives you the ideal posture.

Ultimately though there isn't anything that will make it go away, it's something that is generally here to stay until you've given birth and will most likely get progressively worse.

I really feel for you as I know how painful it is.

I'd ask your gp or midwife to refer you to a physio, they will then do a thorough check over you and try to find out exactly what's causing the pain, once they know that thru can advise you what the best course of action is whether it be exercises, support belt etc.

Good luck and hope you get things sorted!

X

Kirsten - that's excellent advice and exactly what my physio said to do! I'm lucky in that my pelvis is alined, so no treatment needed, my pgp comes from the weight of the baby and my weak core muscles. I've been doing the exercises for only three days and already it hurts less to get out of bed. The physio told me to get a support belt, but she made me try several different ones to see which felt best, so I'm not sure if the one that felt best to me would be the best for you.

Can you ask your GP or a different GP at your practice to refer you for physio?

Thank you so much for replying! It's great to get advice from people who have actually been through it rather than my GP who didn't even think it was possible to get it this early! I feel terrible being off work so early with this especially as it doesn't seem like it will get much better. Luckily work have been great about it. Any of you had time off from work with it? If it doesn't get any better I will ask to be referred to a physio. My midwife didn't even mention it when i told her yesterday which surprised me she just said its one of those things you can unfortunately get during pregnancy. I think I will see how it goes and then just specifically ask to be referred x

I'm currently off work with it. It's my second day poff with it and I won't be going into work tomorrow either. My physio has said she'll happily write a letter to my employer explaining more about the condition if they were sceptical but so far they've been great.

As I doa desk job I've been able to just about bear it up until now but because it's got so bad I can't put weight on my left leg I just couldn't go in. I feelbad but I know at the end of the day work is just work. They only care to a certain point.

I fully intend to be back in work next week providing I can walk on my leg again.

Try the tips that kristen suggested for now and see if it helps. If not then definitely asked to be referred!

X

Just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread, and thanks to everyone who has commented with advice!
I'm 24 weeks and have been having lower back pain since perhaps 3 weeks ago. I just assumed it was all part of being pregnant and that there wasn't much I could do. Going to try all of the suggestions on here instead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->