Penicillin Allergy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Dream.A.Dream, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dream.A.Dream

Dream.A.Dream Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!

I'm allergic to penicillin, I know that when I go to the doctors it's on my record and comes up on screen so they know. However, I was thinking last night, do I need to let the midwife know/have it written somewhere in my notes just incase I need any antibiotics in labour? xx

2. katieeandbump

katieeandbump Well-Known Member

on my notes when i went for the 12 week scan they asked me what i was alergic too and that and what was already on the computor and a few pages in its got like the details of lmp and all things like that and underneath theres all my allergies so maybe ava nose through ur notes cz there should be a bit on it were it ses :) its only like a tiny little box u probs wont notice it but id think the midwives would look at that page as soon as u get there :) if its not there id just ask the midwife at ur next visit!! u still having ur bubs in arrowe hunny? went on the tour the other day and she said in a couple of weeks ther wont be any wards they are all individual rooms..some with on suites!! amazing huh?? watch my lil man will come just before this goes into action!! <3 xxx

3. JayDee

JayDee Sunshine and rainbow

I would write it on your birth plan just to make sure, although I'm not sure what antibiotics they would give you in labour. I'm surprised it's not in your notes as I'm sure I was asked about allergies at booking appointment.
    I'm not allergic to penicillin but DH is, so don't want to run the risk of having it incase it's been passed onto baby.

4. Dream.A.Dream

Yeah still at Arrowe. I've not had my tour yet, is it at 7pm on a Thurs I have to go can you remember? That's amazing about it all being single rooms, I really hope that's the case by the time I give birth because I've been debating paying for one if it's still wards xx

5. fairy1984

fairy1984 Well-Known Member

hi, i got a red band around my wrist as soon as i went into hospital for labour that said i was allergic to penecillin. so if you tell them as soon as you go in they should do this for you and then everyone knows :)

6. katieeandbump

katieeandbump Well-Known Member

its every monday at 7 at the antenatal clinic :) i went last monday and she said a couple of weeks but judging by the crappy builders u never know :p i hate the wards at the minute look really grotty! but i think if we have 2 have a csect tho we have to be in a little ward with a permanent midwife but im not sure hopefully not :) xxx

7. billybump

billybump mummy to my little man

I've got this written in my notes and my birth plan, plus my oh knows to mention it if I can't for whatever reason. :) hope I didn't make you worry earlier with my story.

8. sophxx

sophxx Well-Known Member

im allergic to it and its written on my notes but my mum and oh will be with me and they know i am to! x

9. Dream.A.Dream

Thanks, I might ask my midwife what she knows about it next time I see her :)

xx

10. claire99991

claire99991 Mum of 2....

yes it should be written in your notes, im allergic to it as well and its written in mine there is other antibiotics they can give you instead you will need a red wrist band as well xx

11. Strawberry78

Strawberry78 Mommy to Madison xxx

I'm allergic too, at my 12 week booking appointment, i had to let the MW know what i was allergic too and she wrote it on my notes. Speaking to the hospital MW too at an appointment, she said that I will also be given a bright red wrist band to wear when in hospital so they all know when i go.

12. Midnight_Fairy

Midnight_Fairy New baby J

I am allergic aswell. When I was in labour they gave me a red wrist band instead of the usual blue one. It stated my allergies. x