Perineal massage / stretching?? Does it work?

ChocolateC

Reaction score
ladies,
I've been trying the perineal massage that I learned about in my prenatal education class, and, um, I don't really enjoy it. I've read about how to do it right and it's basically stretching and massaging the lower part of the vagina so it's looser and more elastic for labor. I've been wondering if it really works, though! Have you heard about it working? Does it really make you less likely to tear or get an episiotomy?

I figure it can't hurt to try, but if it doesn't even make a difference when I'm actually in labor, then why bother...

I don't want to dishearten you but it didn't work for me. I did it religiously every day from 34 weeks as I REALLY didn't want to tear and I still ended up needing an episiotomy :(

That being said, some people swear by it and there is some research to say it does decrease the risk of tearing or needing to be cut.

Good luck! x

I've read lots of stories about it being amazing and people not tearing...I'm about to start now at 34 weeks so we shall see, I'm happy to give anything a go!

Here is another very recent thread on the subject
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/pregnancy-third-trimester/2029535-perineum-massage.html

i didnt do it myself but with my 1 st the nurse did it in labor. i had four stitches with him, my 2 nd nobody did it..i tore bad..this lil gal they did it and stretch n sweeps in labor as i wasnt dilating n was being induced and i didnt tear at all...so it worked for me..but to add to that the nurses stretched my cervix as well asthe outside with both my 1 st and this baby so that may of helped also

I did it with my LO, from about 34 weeks and I still tore... you obviously don't know whether it would of been worse without it...

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical because the skin is so elastic there, it seems like you'd really have to stretch it a LOT before it stayed loose, and 10 minutes a day might not do the trick. Of course if I end up needing a C-section then it'll all be for nothing, too.
My DH is scared of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->