Perineal massage / stretching?? Does it work?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by ChocolateC, Oct 13, 2013.

1. ChocolateC

ChocolateC Well-Known Member

ladies,
    I've been trying the perineal massage that I learned about in my prenatal education class, and, um, I don't really enjoy it. I've read about how to do it right and it's basically stretching and massaging the lower part of the vagina so it's looser and more elastic for labor. I've been wondering if it really works, though! Have you heard about it working? Does it really make you less likely to tear or get an episiotomy?

I figure it can't hurt to try, but if it doesn't even make a difference when I'm actually in labor, then why bother...

2. kayleigh_jane

kayleigh_jane Well-Known Member

I don't want to dishearten you but it didn't work for me. I did it religiously every day from 34 weeks as I REALLY didn't want to tear and I still ended up needing an episiotomy :(

That being said, some people swear by it and there is some research to say it does decrease the risk of tearing or needing to be cut.

Good luck! x

3. tamsiewho

tamsiewho Well-Known Member

I've read lots of stories about it being amazing and people not tearing...I'm about to start now at 34 weeks so we shall see, I'm happy to give anything a go!

4. Creative

Creative Well-Known Member

5. mdjoy

mdjoy Well-Known Member

i didnt do it myself but with my 1 st the nurse did it in labor. i had four stitches with him, my 2 nd nobody did it..i tore bad..this lil gal they did it and stretch n sweeps in labor as i wasnt dilating n was being induced and i didnt tear at all...so it worked for me..but to add to that the nurses stretched my cervix as well asthe outside with both my 1 st and this baby so that may of helped also

6. PuddlePuppy

PuddlePuppy Due 31st Dec!

I did it with my LO, from about 34 weeks and I still tore... you obviously don't know whether it would of been worse without it...

7. ChocolateC

ChocolateC Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical because the skin is so elastic there, it seems like you'd really have to stretch it a LOT before it stayed loose, and 10 minutes a day might not do the trick. Of course if I end up needing a C-section then it'll all be for nothing, too.
    My DH is scared of it!