Period and milk supply- Is yours affected?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Misskitty, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Misskitty

Misskitty Well-Known Member

So i'm getting all the signs and think a period is imminent :growlmad:
    I've noticed that my supply seems lower today and i think i read somewhere that this can happen during your period.

So my question is does this happen to anyone else, and how long does the dip in supply usualy last?

2. Pookie 73

Pookie 73 Well-Known Member

I just had my first period a couple of weeks ago and I felt that it did affect my supply a bit. I stopped leaking for the first 3 days (unheard of since I started feeding) but DD didn't seem bothered and carried on as usual!!

3. lucy_x

lucy_x Mummy To Two Stunners

Mine has been "imminent" since 3 months.
    My supply dwindled again, I stopped leaking, Amari went off my milk for a day...
    And it still hasnt shown :dohh:
    Dont think its coming yet :winkwink: Its just playing to see if you notice :haha:

4. Kota

Kota Mum and Preg!

Mine has (finally) returned this week, and there has definitely been a change in something. whether its supply or how it taste, but P has been REALLY fussy for the last few days and almost attacking my boobs because he's not happy with what they're doing. :lol:

5. A3my

A3my I am so lucky!

I got mine back at 8 weeks PP (LO was sleeping though) :cry: my supply really dwindled and my son lost weight. I'm on domperidone now which has been amazing, but I'm an extreme case. My sister's LO is 4 months and she has just got her period back. She noticed a drop in supply for a couple of days beforehand but now her supply is back to normal :hugs:

6. summer rain

summer rain Mum of 5

I think with my eldest it did affect my supply; but my supply was already dwindling anyway (introduced solids too early and at too quick a rate), with my second eldest it didn't.

7. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

My supply dips when I get my period. I've been on Fenugreek since Bella was 2 months. I usually take 3 pills, 3 times a day but when I get a period I take 4 pills, 3 times a day.