Pethidine experiences

louise85

Reaction score
Was just wondering what everyones experiences with pethidine have been?

I had it last time when I was about 6cms, I think and all it did was make me sick! :sick: It didn't make me sleepy and I don't even think it took the edge off the pain! (My memorys a bit hazy so I can't be 100%)

I'm thinking of not having it this time, want to just try gas and air, no epi either. Which everyone thinks I'm crazy!! :wacko:

xxx

im planning on just having gas and air too hun. I had pethadine last time but they didnt realise i was alredy fully dilated so it didnt get chance to kick in before my son was born. To be honest though it didnt make me feel any different. xx

It made me really sleepy and dizzy, it kinda took the edge off the pain but didnt take it away, I didnt like how it made me feel, even my speech felt slurred x

aww i dunno wether 2 have it this time as last tym i felt like i had drunk 20 pint of cider and was sick everywhere no it didn ease the pain with me x

I don't remember, I did get some sleep on it but I hadn't slept for 39hrs when I had it so don't think it was the pethadine. I don't remember alot tbh, I'm hoping not to have it this time but won't rule it out

I had diamorphine last time round (they don't give you pethedine up here) and I thought it was great! I had it at about 4cm, and I just disappeared into a wee world of my own for 4 hours, no pain or anything! By the time I started feeling pains again I was 7cm and went for the epiural.

BUT although I liked using it last time, I want to go more natural this time. I felt kinda 'nudged' into taking it, quite out of control....this time will be what I want, when and IF I want it!!!

Thanks for your replies ladies.

I don't think I'm gonna have it this time. The only reason I did last time was cuz the midwife said if you don't have it now you won't be able to have it, so I did!

I might just be kidding myself though!

xxx

They can give you an anti nausea medication to stop the sickness, so don't be put off because of the vomiting as there is alternatives.

i love pethidine it really works for me last time i took it at 6cm and it lasted until i gave birth.xxx

I had Pethidine and if anything, it heightened my pain, not made it better. I felt sick with it as well. I didn't even want it, I wanted an epidural but the MW's got their own way. I am not having Pethidine this time round.

I had Pethidine and wont be having it again. The combination of it with the gas and air made me feel very drunk and sick too and my memories of labour are very vague. My son slept for days afterwards too..I will be having an epi this time hopefully.

im planning on just having gas and air too hun. I had pethadine last time but they didnt realise i was alredy fully dilated so it didnt get chance to kick in before my son was born. To be honest though it didnt make me feel any different. xx

Ditto me! By the time it kicked in i had already delivered and was so out my nut i couldnt hold my son!

I shall try to leave it this time xxx

Pethidine made me sick and disorientated, and that just frightened me even more, which just caused more pain!. I was very off my face on it, and not in a good-feeling way... I lost great big chunks of my labour and I wasn't able to really participate in what was going on. I couldn't really co-operate weill with the MWs and all the stuff I'd planned to do, like staying mobile and upright etc. all just went out of the window, I was too smashed to care. All that just prolonged the process and made it harder. It didn't do much for the pain either. Never again. And I don't want an epi either. I'm open minded on G&A, but I've stipulated in my birth plan that I would like it to be available but PLEASE don't offer it! The longer I can manage without the better I think.... that also made me quite sick, within moments of taking the first few breaths, even tho I know I took it correctly.

i hated it!! i was constantly falling asleep with it df had to hold me up while having the epi it just made me of my head and i was not incontrol at all and it made me sick too had it in my 1st pregnancy havent had it since and wont again xx

I had pethedine when in labour with my son.

I went into hospital, my contractions were really painful & my waters had broken about 3 hours before, but I wasn't dilating, effecing & his head wasn't engaged at all. As I was quite distressed & they imagined me to be in for the long haul I had pethedine. It made me feel sick & I needed OH to hold a bowl coz I felt like I was going to puke but I never did & eventually I went really relaxed... it felt like I was really sleepy & wrapped up in a big fluffy blanket lol I could still feel the contractions & the pain and I wasnt properly asleep, but it didn't seem to register because I was so relaxed if that makes sense?

Anyway, somewhere between 2 & 3 hours after it being administered it REALLY started to hurt, I was examined and was 8cms so I was moved to delivery suite, pushed for 30 mins and he was here. He cried straight away & had no problems breathing or anything.

I honestly think if I didnt have it my labour wouldn't have been so easy & straight forward.

Its not for everyone though so it really depends on what you're like. If you're generally a sicky person or dont like feeling out of control I wouldn't take it.

x

Hi, I have no experience of my own, but from what I understand the trick with pethidine is having it at the right time. It stays in your system for around 4 hours (and the baby's), so if you have it late, when you've only got an hour or so to go, you will most likely be out for the count when you deliver and it could dampen the amazing endorphin rush you get when you first see/hold your baby, and also can make the baby really sleepy (this happened to a friend of mine). However, if you are in the early stages and are exhausted etc it could help the hours pass and as Linzi said helped her along to 8cm without realising and it wore off in time for the final pushing.

Apparently you can ask for a half dose of pethidine if you want a bit of help with the pain but not to be totally knocked out. But they shouldn't push it on you and make you feel like you have no other choice.

Personally I don't want it, I hate feeling out of control and I want those precious moments to be really clear. I also get this feeling it would make me feel sick, so I'm gonna try my best to avoid it.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated :thumbup:

I never really thought about this before but now a few of you have mentioned it my memory of the labour is pretty hazy so maybe it was because of the pethidine :shrug:

My DD was also sleepy for a few days afterwards too.

xxx

Pethidine has also been linked to baby having difficulties breathing at birth. I suppose it might be due to the timing of the injection, but the major problem with this is that labour doesn't run on a fixed, predictable timetable. It can take you an hr to dilate 5cm, and then another hr to dilater anothe cm, or vice versa. A mw could check you for progress and think it's still worth giving you a shot.... only for your body to surprise them and for you to be fully dilated and effaced and ready to deliver much sooner than expected.

Also, LO still gets the full effect of pethidine, even when they are in transit. If it's horrible for so many women, why would anyone want to give it to an infant? I expect it makes them feel pretty manky too!

I LOVE pethadine :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I had it with my daughter and i had a lovely pain free couple of hours sleep, got some much needed rest in ready to push her out :thumbup:

I will be having it again definately:hugs:

i can remember gettin to the hospital in agony an the midwife asked if i wanted sumthin to take the edge of the pain in which i cried bac at her YES PLEASE lol she gave me the shot in me bum then i can remeber bein a lil bit calmer an relaxed tht i actually fell asleep for about 30mins they did advice tht i could slow labour or make labour go a a bit faster in my case i went from 1cm to 6 cms in 4 hours which was really quick with my 1st then the nxt thing i rember was pushin my lil girl into the world i defo would like it this time an have told my oh to tell them i only want the gas an air an petherdine xxxx

hope u can make ur mind up if u want it hun an good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->