Pets!

You won't, lol. It's not as hard as it sounds, it's just a lot of work.

Mommy dogs lick their puppies to stimulate them to go...if they aren't doing this on their own yet, you need to simulate it with a warm, wet washcloth. But, if these babies are 4 weeks, they should be close to doing it on their own and close to being introduced to food. Unless there was some type of developmental delay.

What?? Indigo has to lick the puppy to stimulate it to go pee

I WANT PICTURES!! :haha:

Where would I put them? Do I have to do night-feedings? How much do they poop / pee at that age?

See Eva...you're a natural at stimulating pee...will send them right over....

Where would I put them? Do I have to do night-feedings? How much do they poop / pee at that age?

Where does the rescue keep them now? I would probably pen them in your kitchen and use a baby monitor for the first few nights. You will probably have to do one, maybe two night feedings for the first week. But, if they are getting ready to wean them in a week, most of that is done.

They poo and pee as much as any puppy, but have no control at all. You will be changing paper a lot.

I can't believe Mr. Indigo is considering this?

Where does the rescue keep them now? I would probably pen them in your kitchen and use a baby monitor for the first few nights. You will probably have to do one, maybe two night feedings for the first week. But, if they are getting ready to wean them in a week, most of that is done.

They poo and pee as much as any puppy, but have no control at all. You will be changing paper a lot.

I wouldn't give him a chance to say no...........:thumbup:

It's common knowledge I make people piss themselves, so puppies wouldn't be that hard :haha:

I haven't answered the rescuer or told DH yet....

You might find one you really like in the litter too!

Awwww puppies, i want to see pictures!!!! When i rescued Kirby they said he was 7 weeks, the vet said he was more like 5 weeks, and he was eating kibble a day after i brought him home. Awwwww your so good for saving these puppies!!!

Wow Indigo your a star for considering those puppies:thumbup: alot of work but I'm sure its very rewarding in the end. You might find a new puppy in the litter:thumbup:

Ok fist please could I place my order for a titanic titty tarp :rofl:

Next Eva I agree those that are easily offended are stalkers and have gone :)

Indigo you must foster the pups! You won't kill them and at 4 weeks you'll probably get away with one night feed if you really fill them up before you go to bed. Dmom is right about the stimulating them to make them pee and poo but they start to do it themselves for 4-5 weeks onwards. I have hand reared pups and kittens from new borns and it is hard work but so rewarding and somehow I never felt tired till the pups or kittens left me and then I spelt for 24 hours solid :)

I'm sort of a medium size - could I have a "Boobie Blanket"???

and - if you have tiny cute puppies in the house you dh may just wanted to keep one (or all) once he sees how absolutely gorgeous they are!!!! (why did I not think of this????)

Have any of you fostered really young puppies? That need to be bottle- fed? There is a rescuer that is desperate....I don't have the experience....There are 5 babies....4 weeks old....

I often foster puppies. Because I work from home I have the time to give to them, and lots of experience rearing pups too.
Youngest we've had here (other than litters we've bred ourselves) was Great Dane puppies from 1 day old ....that was extremely tough going, but very rewarding. By comparison 4 wk-old ups will be a walk in the park ...well, not quite, but a lot easier.
(**their mother came out of a Dublin pound, in a desperately awful condition, and 3 days later dropped a litter of 10 pups, much to the rescues surprise - the vet's recommendation was to take 2 pups off her completely, once they'd had their colostrum, and give supplementary bottles to the remaining 8 to take the stress off her body in producing milk...hence I got the call one evening to come and collect two tiny pups.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/moneygalljrts/Inca/Bottlefeedingday1.jpg

I weaned the GD pups at 3½ weeks....on a ready-brek porridge made with Lactol. Hand-reared pups can generally be weaned earlier, and will often be easier as they are already used to taking their food from you.

You'll definitely need a puppy pen to confine them in. Once they were up and moving we moved their puppy pen into the sitting room (lining it underneath with tarpaulin and newspaper) so they could be with us and all our dogs all day long rather than being confined to bedroom or kitchen.

If you haven't fostered before make sure you clearly understand who is responsible for paying for what. It can get expensive very quickly, especially with young pups. And don't forget...letting them go to their new homes, *will* be heart-breaking, but also *very* rewarding. So, when the time comes, constantly remind yourself they they are only ready and able to go to their new homes because of all the hard work *you* have put in to rearing them.

Good luck with your decision. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->