Pharmacy Related Question...

zombina

Ducky <3
Reaction score
Ok so I work in a pharmacy and I am often sent to our other shop where they make up blister packs for patients and so I am expected to make these up which involves me handling all the drugs on and off all day.

I also have to count out certain cytotoxic drugs which pregnant people are supposed to keep away from - work has just said to pop these out and use tweezers for handling them.

I am not happy with the constant touching of all these tablets - I was wondering if anybody knows if I am ok with it or if I should be staying away from them? I was considering going to my Doctor to ask his opinion but thought I 'd see what you guys think first :) xx

I'd check with the head pharmacist where you work or with your doctor. Are they drugs that you can handle counting while wearing gloves? Or are there more serious implications? If there are serious side effects (and especially if there are other techs who work with you), there may be ways for the pharmacist to have someone else handle the cytotoxic drugs.

I know that when I worked as a pharmacy tech (in high school), I had certain drugs that I couldn't count - some of my drug allergies are triggered just by touching the drugs. The pharmacist on duty was aware of my drug allergies and accommodated me well - either another tech or the pharmacist would handle the prep of those drugs.

I'd check with the head pharmacist where you work or with your doctor. Are they drugs that you can handle counting while wearing gloves? Or are there more serious implications? If there are serious side effects (and especially if there are other techs who work with you), there may be ways for the pharmacist to have someone else handle the cytotoxic drugs.

I know that when I worked as a pharmacy tech (in high school), I had certain drugs that I couldn't count - some of my drug allergies are triggered just by touching the drugs. The pharmacist on duty was aware of my drug allergies and accommodated me well - either another tech or the pharmacist would handle the prep of those drugs.

I could wear gloves but they won't order any in especially for that! I just don't like being around the drugs out of their packaging as I do not know what effects they could have on my unborn baby.

I think they should have done a risk assessment when I told them I was pregnant as there is so much stuff that I don't think I should be doing really!

Am thinking of cutting my hours there anyway because 9 hours without sitting down is taking its toll on me now!! :(

I am pretty sure that by law they are required to do a risk assessment, although it seems that many companies think they are exempt from this rule! I am sure you and the baby are fine honey but I think that you need to push for the risk assessment even if its just for your own piece of mind. Good luck xx

I am pretty sure that by law they are required to do a risk assessment, although it seems that many companies think they are exempt from this rule! I am sure you and the baby are fine honey but I think that you need to push for the risk assessment even if its just for your own piece of mind. Good luck xx

In the uk it is a legal requirement for there to be a risk assessment for all roles and it should include risks to new and expectant mothers, if not they need to re-do it. And any employee has a right to see a risk assessment related to their role but certain they have to show a pregnant mother as soon as they've done it.

OP- Phone your HR dept (assuming you have one) maybe and ask if one has been done. N.B. The company need to have been officially informed of your being pregnant first (written confirmation).

I too am a pharmacy tech, the cytotoxic drugs are a definite no-no. I usually blister pack using tweezers and if I am the only tech in ( small village pharmacy) I wear gloves when pouring methadone. My boss has been fantastic and will not let me near anything remotely dangerous. I also make sure I wash my hands like a surgeon throughout the day. So far so good but I understand your concerns. I just last week cut my hours for the same reason...constantly on my feet and I am still sick every day despite being on diclectin. I hope it works out ok for you, let us know how you get on.

I too am a pharmacy tech, the cytotoxic drugs are a definite no-no. I usually blister pack using tweezers and if I am the only tech in ( small village pharmacy) I wear gloves when pouring methadone. My boss has been fantastic and will not let me near anything remotely dangerous. I also make sure I wash my hands like a surgeon throughout the day. So far so good but I understand your concerns. I just last week cut my hours for the same reason...constantly on my feet and I am still sick every day despite being on diclectin. I hope it works out ok for you, let us know how you get on.

So do you just not go near the cytotoxics at all then??

I will try and bring it up with my boss this week! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"