Photographer- pro or student?

toffee87

Reaction score
Have you booked/used a student photographer? I'm contemplating one, purely for moneys sake x

My friend is doing our wedding photos, as a wedding gift. She takes great pictures but isn't exactly a "pro" iykwim. I have no doubt at all thought that she's going to be amazing at our wedding. :mrgreen:

I'm sure you could always look through a portfolio of a student to see what type of work they do?

A student photographer (if you really look) will bring the benefits of contemporary work which is much sought after atm.
They really know their stuff however there are two things you need to consider.

1) Photography is one thing- wedding photography is another.
Wedding photography is an art within itself and the student will really need to research on this to make sure they are within the loop. There are so many important factors within a wedding and photos that should not be forgotten. Make sure they are aware of what YOU want (inc the style and specific photos- build a portfolio of your fav wedding pictures to show him/her) and also the attitude they have. Weddings are stressful and emotional and they need to be aware of the day and what it means to you- so they'll need to build a client rapor with you to truly respect the day.

2) Reliability. They are not 'wedding photographers' and they are not running a professional buisness and you need to be cautious of this. If you feel like you need to draw up a contract to have peace of mind then thats up to you but they are not 'bound' to provide you a service and you should be aware that if they are ill or unable to attend on the day there is no back up.

On the whole, student photographers are fresh and keen to build their portfolio, they know what will look fantastic- just make sure you understand each other and that you are certain they will be reliable on the day!

That's my main worry reliability. I think I'll be safe and have a pro x

im deffo going for a student, might ask for a couple just to be on teh safe side, i want TONS of pictures x

if its peace of mine your worried about then I think a pro would be better. Students are a daring choice but I have to say- Ive seen some fab work done by friends and students! x

Im getting a friend, she will have done a few weddings by mine but im confident she has the eye for what i LOVE!

She took my avatar! :cloud9:

ETA: this was before the keep calm sign :rofl:

Students won't have a back up camera, or insurance to pay you back should all your wedding photos be lost due to any reason. It's not worth the risk I don't think x

We contemplated a student but after having a look online at some websites and getting a fab deal we have gone with a pro x

i had a pro.his overly priced and i was atcually disapointed with the pictures.and 5 months on im still waiting for our wedding album and the chance to order pictures!who ever you have make sure you ask to see recent work of theirs,and how long their turn around it x

I was going to hire a student but she was very unreliable.. she kept saying i will email you or cal you tomm.. then we can meet but she would forget..then i asked her if we could meet a certain day and she said she would have to see if she had to work, and so this went on for about a month and we never met, so i just decided to hire someone profession. Some students also dont have contracts or require a deposit so you arnt guarenteed anything. i would go with a professional..its a day to remember and you want to look at your photos in the furture and see your wedding come alive all over again!

ive decided to get a professional after all, ive gotten a very good deal of jacs husband so im very happy :thumbup:

I'm asking my Brother and Dad to be the photographers at our wedding. I've seen the photos they take and they are very professional. Plus I know they'd be over the moon that I asked them :D

I want pro but wouldn't turn down a student. OH's brother is student and he's done a couple of weddings, he was dirt cheap and was there all day and his photos are fantastic.

Im gonna ask Oh's mum if she wouldnt mind doing them, she might get on my nerves but she is a very good photographer xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->