physical disability awareness

Alias

Mum to two
Reaction score
A question for those who have lo with physical disabilities. My DD had what is hopefully a short term physical disability, hip displaysia. She is 14 months and has spent the last 3 months in a body cast from waist to ankle. Up until now she has not seemed to notice that she is restricted and different from her peers. But in the last week or two I think she is starting to notice. Around the same time she moved rooms in creche, she is now the youngest instead of 3/4 months older.

So my question is, how old was your LO when they noticed their disability?

DS2 didn't really notice till he was 3. But he has development delay as well as the cerebral palsy so possibly he just never gave it much thought.

Sam doesn't show that he's noticed (his most obvious disability is that he has an amputated leg for which he wears a prosthetic. This is straight without a knee joint so he walks with quite a limp).

I'm guessing it may be a little while yet before he realises that he only has one full leg and one which stops above the knee - I'm sure having a little brother will make him realise at some point when he compares his own body to him.

Now he is nearly three he is questioning what it means to have poorly legs/bladder/bowel and asking if other people do or if they have poorly other things. So now I think is when he is noticing.

Thanks guys. Ellie is definitely frustrated because she can't (has never) crawl or walk, but obviously doesn't understand why. She's also been doing funny things like she found shoes and really wanted them on her feet, but since we almost never put shoes on her at the moment, I think she's noticed them on other babies feet in the creche. It's cute but heartbreaking. We've got only 3 1/2 more weeks in the body cast, she'll be 15 months when she comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->