Picking a new OB?

aidensxmomma

4 on Earth, Many in Heaven
Reaction score
My OH and I are moving in two weeks and I have to get a new OB. So how do I pick one? And how hard will it be to go to a new OB at that late in pregnancy (I'll be 36 weeks when we move)? Also, would it be unreasonable for me to ask for a tour of the OB unit at the hospital since I've never been there before?

I'm sorry if this seems dumb, I just haven't had to go through all this before so I don't have a clue on what to do or where to start. :shrug: When I was pregnant with my first, my mom picked my OB and I like him so I never changed doctors and went to him during my second pregnancy (and this one so far). So it's all new to me. :wacko:

Do you know anyone who lives where you're moving that you could ask for advice on who is a good OB? That's kind of what I did (a friend of a friend) and I looked at the hospital's website and looked at their OBs, and just kind of guessed who looked like a good one (yeah, maybe not the best, but it matched with what the friend of the friend suggested, and so far, it's worked well). I would also call as soon as you can and tell them how far along you are and most likely they'll try to squeeze you in.
ETA: By "looked like a good one" I mean, I looked at their credentials and what they were interested in. Not just looking at the picture. lol
And it would be totally okay to ask for a tour of the OB unit. Lots of people do it. I'm sure they'd be happy for you to tour it, so that you have some idea where you're going. :)
Good luck with the moving. I moved at 20 weeks and that was hard enough! :flower:

Do you know anyone who lives where you're moving that you could ask for advice on who is a good OB? That's kind of what I did (a friend of a friend) and I looked at the hospital's website and looked at their OBs, and just kind of guessed who looked like a good one (yeah, maybe not the best, but it matched with what the friend of the friend suggested, and so far, it's worked well). I would also call as soon as you can and tell them how far along you are and most likely they'll try to squeeze you in.
ETA: By "looked like a good one" I mean, I looked at their credentials and what they were interested in. Not just looking at the picture. lol
And it would be totally okay to ask for a tour of the OB unit. Lots of people do it. I'm sure they'd be happy for you to tour it, so that you have some idea where you're going. :)
Good luck with the moving. I moved at 20 weeks and that was hard enough! :flower:

Unfortunately, the only person I know who lives in that town is my dad and I'm pretty sure he's never had to see an OB. :haha:

Thank you for the advice, though. :flower:

I switched at 20 weeks and it was the best thing I ever did!

Your insurance company probably has a list of doctors in the new town and I would start there. I googled every doctor's name who delivered babies at the hospital I wanted to deliver at. Then I found one who was a man who had delivered several of my friends and their children. I just prefer a man because of personal reasons. You can definitely take a tour of the hospital and I totally recommend it! They will take you through L&D and show you what happens when you are admitted and what room you will be in and show you the nursery. They will also tell you what they provide for you and baby during labor and after. This would be a good time to ask the nurses who their favorite doctors are. No one knows better than the nurses! If you want a natural birth ask them who is the most supportive of a natural birth. If you want to be induced ask them who does more inductions, etc. Its ALWAYS good to get to know these ladies before you go into labor because it will give you peace of mind.

Good luck and I hope you find a doctor you are happy with. Don't settle!

I have to find a new one too, mine is moving and his last day is Dec. 15.

I switched at 20 weeks and it was the best thing I ever did!

Your insurance company probably has a list of doctors in the new town and I would start there. I googled every doctor's name who delivered babies at the hospital I wanted to deliver at. Then I found one who was a man who had delivered several of my friends and their children. I just prefer a man because of personal reasons. You can definitely take a tour of the hospital and I totally recommend it! They will take you through L&D and show you what happens when you are admitted and what room you will be in and show you the nursery. They will also tell you what they provide for you and baby during labor and after. This would be a good time to ask the nurses who their favorite doctors are. No one knows better than the nurses! If you want a natural birth ask them who is the most supportive of a natural birth. If you want to be induced ask them who does more inductions, etc. Its ALWAYS good to get to know these ladies before you go into labor because it will give you peace of mind.

Good luck and I hope you find a doctor you are happy with. Don't settle!
Asking the nurses who is a good doctor is a really good idea. :thumbup: My mom is a nurse and she wouldn't let us go see doctors that other nurses didn't like, because that usually means they're kind of jerky to the nurses and if they're not nice to the nurses, they probably don't have the greatest bedside manner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->