Picky eaters and underweight toddlers: support and ideas thread

My kids are terrible eaters. My 5 year old has finally made it to 30 lbs. He was 25 lbs last winter. Now that he is in school all day I am struggling to find foods to send with him. There is a lot of pressure from teachers and other moms to pack the healthiest foods possible, but infortunately Q won't eat most things. His little sister is starting to follow. She won't eat at meal times recently and just wants to snack constantly. Its so frustrating.

Hi Phantom! What sort of things will Q eat at all? What are the school rules about food like where you are - is it just no sweeties, no juice?
I am thinking about school lunch packs a lot these days as I don't want to be sending an endless stream of sandwiches!

mines having a lot of epic meltdowns as of late due to being tired and hungry. she rarely eats at meals. I'm fine with her grazing on snacks throughout the day but even then we have a lot of days where I offer her a snack and she doesn't want it, then when weve left the house to go somewhere she has a huge tantrum bc she hasn't eaten anything. I try and keep something on me like crackers etc its just really frustrating when I'm offering snacks all day and then the minute we go out its a giant meltdown for food. other days she barely eats a thing. we have been really busy outside all day in the pool, at the park etc and then by the aft shes so precious I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.

also she will like a food for a few days and then not touch it, we are on a budget I can only buy so many choices in a week and I never know what shes going to eat.

she is also a huge food mooch when she sees other ppl eating at the park etc she will wriggle in there and will eat absolutely anything someone else gives her even if its something she wont eat when I offer it. I'm wondering if its more of a control thing but ive never pushed food on her, i give her small portions of a few choices on the plate etc. i keep things like yogurt, fruit, granola bars, baby carrots things she can get for herself in her arms reach.

i find it annoying as the kids we spend the most time with will eat anything at any time. then the parents are all chuffed like 'well i did baby led weaning and gave my kids what we eat, including spicy foods etc. and that's why they are such good eaters.' and I'm like 'yah, i did that too. and today my kid only ate half a toast and a handful of goldfish crackers.'

I've had to come and post on here. I've always stalked it. Rio is a dreadful eater and is so skinny. Today I invited him into the kitchen to help prepare a meal, usually I ask him to stay out of the way. He helped prepare a vegetable curry with things he would never eat (mushrooms, onions, peppers) and because he had helped he sat and ate a huge bowl full! He requested pasta with it instead of rice but I accepted that and we cooked some pasta shapes too. I'm in shock he's eaten a whole meal lol. Think I'll have an extra pair of hands in the kitchen every day from now on!

Yay kirsty that's great! :)

Today we had Sunday dinner at my aunts house. He ate a tiny amount of beef with no bother. The carrots and mash were another story!! He wanted mint sauce on the mash even though I said he wouldnt like it (too acidic). Well I was right he didn't like it :haha: I eventually got him to have a few bites of carrot after 45 minutes.of hiding under the table, kicking the wall and generally being very irritable. He then started gagging after the 3rd bite so that was the end of that.

I got him weighed yesterday and he's exactly 3 stone and 116cm which according to the NHS bmi calculator he's 10th centile. He has gained some weight since January so I'm really pleased.

yeah, she does the grocery shop with me every time, helps me prepare meals. doesn't make a difference!

sorry I'm a bit bitter this morning. we've gotten up at 6 am and she had a 20 minute meltdown because I said we cant go to the park yet. now its had a cup of yogurt its completely fine. I do realize shes 3 and tantrums are pretty standard but I know the frequency and duration are completely due to the fact she wont friggin eat ! its so frustrating right now :(

:hugs: It is so frustrating somedays when they won't eat.

Ds hardly ate at all during our trip and was so irritable at times. Of course I would offer food and he almost always refused. He ate a bit better yesterday so hopefully now that we are home he will pick it back up.

Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me out here... my 3 year old won't eat any greens what so ever, I've tried making smoothies with them and followed the "toddler friendly" recipes to the letter but her can tell straight away and says yuk! He will not eat any food that contains sauces, such as cottage pie, casseroles, stews, pastas, spag bogs etc... So I can't even hide it in any sauce! His favourite foods are peanut butter sandwiches and humous by the spoon. I have discoverd lately that he likes carrot cake so I made my own and I felt great that he loved it and consumed abut half a carrot (at last) but I'm worried about the sugar so it's not something I want to give him often. I have also tried parsnips beetroot chopped up like fries in the oven but he won't touch it just says its yucky vegetables mummy :-( he does eat s lot of fruit, probably too much fruit, he also nests toast and cereals and chicken nuggets occasionally but it's hit and miss.

mines having a lot of epic meltdowns as of late due to being tired and hungry. she rarely eats at meals. I'm fine with her grazing on snacks throughout the day but even then we have a lot of days where I offer her a snack and she doesn't want it, then when weve left the house to go somewhere she has a huge tantrum bc she hasn't eaten anything. I try and keep something on me like crackers etc its just really frustrating when I'm offering snacks all day and then the minute we go out its a giant meltdown for food. other days she barely eats a thing. we have been really busy outside all day in the pool, at the park etc and then by the aft shes so precious I feel like I'm walking on eggshells.

also she will like a food for a few days and then not touch it, we are on a budget I can only buy so many choices in a week and I never know what shes going to eat.

she is also a huge food mooch when she sees other ppl eating at the park etc she will wriggle in there and will eat absolutely anything someone else gives her even if its something she wont eat when I offer it. I'm wondering if its more of a control thing but ive never pushed food on her, i give her small portions of a few choices on the plate etc. i keep things like yogurt, fruit, granola bars, baby carrots things she can get for herself in her arms reach.

i find it annoying as the kids we spend the most time with will eat anything at any time. then the parents are all chuffed like 'well i did baby led weaning and gave my kids what we eat, including spicy foods etc. and that's why they are such good eaters.' and I'm like 'yah, i did that too. and today my kid only ate half a toast and a handful of goldfish crackers.'

Hi, I was just wondering have you tried not giving her snacks when out so she is hungry for a proper meal when you return home? I don't know how old your dd is and level of understanding but you could say something like " you was offered a snack/meal just before we left, now we have to wait until meal time" or whatever is age appropriate. Sometimes when they think they can just grab a snack whenever they feel like it, or know that if they scream then 2 seconds later I'll get crackers- they see no point in sitting down to have a proper meal because A) they never actually get that hungry when always grazing/snacking B) Having to sit down and be still for 20 mins so I can eat sounds boring c) why sit still for that long when I can just go to the cupboard and have a granola bar every hour if I want. I have had to stop snacks all together in my house only a fruit smoothie at 2pm is allowed and super before bed.

Here is our routine:
Wake up at 6.30 breastmilk for 2 year old and a glass of milk for 3 year old.

Breakfast 9-9.30am

Lunch 12.30pm

Smoothie 2pm

Tea: 3.30-4pm

Super 6.30

Bed 7.7.30

If they don't eat their tea at 4pm due to the smoothie I put foil over it then I offer it after their bath for supper at 6.30 they usually wolf it down unless their ill or too tired then they will have milk or juice depending.

I have problems with my 3 year with "real food" and vegetables so sometimes his actual meal will be a small handful of his favourite snacks.

I'm so glad there is this thread!

My 2 1/2 year old is so picky! Sometimes I wonder how she is alive.
She won't eat any vegetables aside from cucumber SOMETIMES. She used to LOVE carrots but now she won't even taste it :dohh:
The only meat she eats is hotdog, sandwich meat, ham and bacon. That is IT. Of course I limit those meats since I know its not the healthiest.

She will eat cheese, most fruits and then bread products ie crackers, bread, rice and cereal.

I'm so shocked!! Thomas actually ate a hot dinner at home yesterday!! He had sausage (which he loves), mash with gravy and half a Yorkshire pudding!! He did try a pea but said he didn't like it. I'm shocked!!

I have a very fussy and skinny child. He isn't a toddler though. He started reception this month and never eats his pack lunch :( he basically goes hungry from 8-3:30pm

Anyone else have this issue?

Oh and to add. He not a fan of vegetables and will only have brocollis. Breakfast time is always a battle and he takes agesss to finish any meal. His also cmpa so that added with the fussy eating isn't helpful. His been difficult with food ever since he was baby and we began weaning

Oh dear that is difficult. I don't suppose he would prefer his school meals? Maybe ask one of the assistants or teachers to sit with him and encourage him?

babyjan i remember yoouuuuu! our LO's were similar back then about something i cant remember but my LO has the same eating like yours! school lunch is such a stress actually his whole eating is such a stress

I could really do with following this thread!

My 4 y/o hasn't eaten well since he was 1 year old. He got really badly constipated for a year and in that year his eating went downhill and hasn't improved since.

He currently survives off cheese sandwhichs, peanut butter and jam sandwiches, cereal/porrige, fruit, sausages, pizza, turkey dinosaurs, fish fingers, macaroni cheese and sometimes chicken or chips.

He utterly refuses to try new things, last year I got a tiny dot of a chicken and potato pie on his tongue and he gagged and gagged.

Dietician was pretty useless, I feel it's deeper than fussiness but no one takes it seriously. He sees a Nephrologist who also keeps up with his general wellbeing so I'm going to beg him to have it looked into properly when we next see him in November.

I am at my wits end with it.

Edit - He isn't underweight but he is very skinny. His ribs poke through and he has a very defined shape due to a lack of fat, it is starting to worry my mum so I'm going to mention it to the GP.

This weekend was so frustrating with DS!! Friday I had him try some of my soup. Well he refused but a little got on his lip. He gagged and gagged. It was ridiculous, I really thought he was going to throw up.

Then he refused to eat all weekend, even his regular go tos like chicken or fruit he refused. He hardly ate anything but drank a ton of juice. My mom thinks I should take the juice away but some days that's all he will take. It is so frustrating.

babyjan i remember yoouuuuu! our LO's were similar back then about something i cant remember but my LO has the same eating like yours! school lunch is such a stress actually his whole eating is such a stress

Omg hi veganmama! I remember you too and how our boys were similar when it came to eating etc. So sorry things are still tough :hugs: how's everything else otherwise?

Angel- he has pack lunch because he has cmpa I just feel better knowing his eaten food from home. I've spoke to the assistants who are there with the children at lunch time and they said they'll help and encourage but so far nothing changed. :(

Hi ladies, One of the biggest problems at mealtimes I have is keeping my 2 and 3 year old on their chairs. I emperthise with them that it's boring at this age sitting down to eat but i don't want to keep nagging then to sit up, come out from under the table etc.. Because it then ends up being a power struggle. I've stopped all snacks so they are hungry enough to sit down but they just eat enough to take "the edge off" then start messing about. An hour later they are hungry and looking through cupboards and fridge to try and sneak a snack on the go... Yet refuse to sit down at the table and eat. Any advice ladies??? There too big for their high chairs otherwise old use them!
Why do toddlers have so much energy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"