Pillows for Newborns???

MissTanya

Due on 23rd March 2010
Reaction score
What is your opinion on Newborn's having pillows to prevent flat head?

Hubby and I are looking into the Sleepcurve Mattress (www.sleepcurve.com), I like the idea of them because not only do they help prevent flat head...but they also open the airways to help baby breathe better too (so maybe reduce the risk of SIDS).

While trying to research the sleepcurve mattress some more, I came accross a forum of people recommending the Goi Goi Pillow to prevent flat head. Going to their website (https://www.lillakuddisbabypillows.co.uk/) I've found:

"Baby pillows are recommended in Sweden to all newborn and young babies
to prevent and treat flattening of the head (plagiocephaly)."

Just wondering what people's opinion is and if anyone would be using a similar pillow for their newborn??? I personally prefer the mattress option...but they are so expensive!!

Ive never heard of a pillow for newborns, nor would i use one. The babies wont get flat head if you alternate what side they sleep on, and once their a bit older they will move their head themselves anyways.

im not going to be using a pillow - too many risks imo!

The sleepcurve Ive heard a lot of good about because its a "full body" thing not a "pillow" as such. I would not get a goi goi as they are "pillows".
If I were going to get one it would be the sleepcurve because of its design, Id go for a moses basket and crib one but I wouldnt buy a cot one because the curve is at the top of the mattress and you should place baby as close to the bottom as possible...some babies outgrow moses baskets and cribs by 8 weeks old and they still need to be placed with thier feet at the base of the cot...making the sleepcurve cot/cotbed mattress completely pointless.
Of course they are extremely expensive and if you get good quality mattresses for your cot, crib and carry cot in your pushchair then you shouldnt have any issues anyway....

hmmm I'd never even heard of babies developing flat head.. is that common?

only if theyre constantly lying on their back, you should spend a lot of time holding baby aswell and also tummy time when they can hold their head up.

im sorry but this 'flat head' is a load of crap imo....my mum has had 4 of us and all of us slept without pillows and we dont have flat heads, plus as someone said earlier babies will eventually move their heads, i think its just another way to elicit money out of people.

I have the sleepcurve as i bought it from the national baby show ages ago. It is actually made by some proffessor and is used in alot of hospitals now as it opens their airways automatically like you would if doing cpr.

wouldnt get a pillow tho.
x

im sorry but this 'flat head' is a load of crap imo....my mum has had 4 of us and all of us slept without pillows and we dont have flat heads, plus as someone said earlier babies will eventually move their heads, i think its just another way to elicit money out of people.

Don't agree and think you should check into it. Do a google search and see what you find...

we were told in NCT class babies will only get flat head if theyre left too long in one position, so just dont do it?! You should cuddle and play with your baby as much as possible and have tummy time soon as they can hold their head up, if you do that then they wont get it. Also just alternate what side they face each night to sleep. even if they do get a bit of flat hea it goes away, pillows are just dangerous

The sleepcurve Ive heard a lot of good about because its a "full body" thing not a "pillow" as such. I would not get a goi goi as they are "pillows".
If I were going to get one it would be the sleepcurve because of its design, Id go for a moses basket and crib one but I wouldnt buy a cot one because the curve is at the top of the mattress and you should place baby as close to the bottom as possible...some babies outgrow moses baskets and cribs by 8 weeks old and they still need to be placed with thier feet at the base of the cot...making the sleepcurve cot/cotbed mattress completely pointless.
Of course they are extremely expensive and if you get good quality mattresses for your cot, crib and carry cot in your pushchair then you shouldnt have any issues anyway....

You've made a VERY intersting point which I hadn't thought of!!!

I had just said to hubby it is too expensive to have to buy a sleepcurve for a moses and a cot...and suggested we just buy the cot mattress and put the newborn in there from the start. But....I never thought about not being able to place them with their feet at the bottom.

I have seen cot sleep dividers...I wonder if you could use one of those on top of the sleep curve mattress, to create a base/wall for bubs feet to be against????

flat head?! Never heard that one before...

personally i wouldnt spend the money on one of those mattresses (even though i can see the benefits) as its just not needed...millions of babies sleep without one of these mattresses and are completely fine healthy (round headed!) children!

Don't agree and think you should check into it. Do a google search and see what you find...

Yep as I suspected I searched and all the results I got back clearly state is is not safe to allow your baby to sleep with a pillow, your child will not get a flat head from sleeping without a pillow....its a ridiculous notion...I have never heard of anyone allowing their baby to sleep with a pillow...its not necessary.

flat head?! Never heard that one before...

personally i wouldnt spend the money on one of those mattresses (even though i can see the benefits) as its just not needed...millions of babies sleep without one of these mattresses and are completely fine healthy (round headed!) children!

Exactly!

I had one of these pillows ready with Lucy but never used it as I didnt need it. IMO if baby has plenty of tummy time and spends quite a bit of time in your arms they shouldnt need it. Ive only heard of a couple of babies getting flat head and they have been ones who have been in their cot/moses basket on their backs for the vast majority of the day xx

I had just said to hubby it is too expensive to have to buy a sleepcurve for a moses and a cot...and suggested we just buy the cot mattress and put the newborn in there from the start. But....I never thought about not being able to place them with their feet at the bottom.

I have seen cot sleep dividers...I wonder if you could use one of those on top of the sleep curve mattress, to create a base/wall for bubs feet to be against????

I supose you could get a cot divider and use that near the top end of the sleepcurve (which for those who are confused is a mattress topper, not a pillow :winkwink:) then you could just buy the suitable cot mattress topper and use that right from the word go.....It then doesnt work out horrendously expensive as at £90 for the cot one it should then last from birth til when you dont need it anymore....
the design, for those who are confused, isnt just done to help prevent flat head but also increase airflow, reducing the risk of SIDS.

NB on the divider front I heard the safebbay sleeper was one of the best ones and they retail around £25?

:dohh: Ok so this post is not actually about pillows....i got confused because the post is called pillows for newborns...

I supose you could get a cot divider and use that near the top end of the sleepcurve (which for those who are confused is a mattress topper, not a pillow :winkwink:) then you could just buy the suitable cot mattress topper and use that right from the word go.....It then doesnt work out horrendously expensive as at £90 for the cot one it should then last from birth til when you dont need it anymore....
the design, for those who are confused, isnt just done to help prevent flat head but also increase airflow, reducing the risk of SIDS.

THANK YOU Anothersquish!!!! :hugs: You're reply has been very helpful.

Indeed peoples...please remember the sleep curve is NOT a pillow.

I think alot of people may be missing my point. I never said I was worried about stopping flat head...I said I was interested in the sleepcurve mattress, which helps prevent flat head AND helps baby breath better.

The only reason I am asking about pillows...is because I found in my research that it was recommended for ALL newborns in Switzerland.

THANK YOU Anothersquish!!!! :hugs: You're reply has been very helpful.

Indeed peoples...please remember the sleep curve is NOT a pillow.

I think alot of people may be missing my point. I never said I was worried about stopping flat head...I said I was interested in the sleepcurve mattress, which helps prevent flat head AND helps baby breath better.

The only reason I am asking about pillows...is because I found in my research that it was recommended for ALL newborns in Switzerland.

ok thanks for clarifying....the name of the post is misleading thats y I went on about pillows lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->