Pineapple and labour!

SarTheBear

Phoebe Bear's Mummy! xx
Reaction score
Hi All, Just a quick question,

Does anyone know what it is in pineapple that is supposed to help bring on labour?
I am nearly 9 days overdue and currently ramming pineapple down my throat keeping my fingers crossed that it'll encourage the baby bear to come out but, i have no idea why it is that i am eating it!

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Hope everyone is well!

Sar xx :flower:

Eating pineapple

Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain which is thought to help to soften the cervix and so bring on labour.

Is it safe?
There is no evidence to say whether it is safe or not. Each pineapple contains only very small amounts of bromelain so you would need to eat as many as seven to have any effect. The most likely side-effect of eating large amounts of pineapple would be a severe case of the runs.

Does it work?
Some cultures swear by it but there is a lack of research into whether it really works. Regardless of this, eating large quantities of pineapple is likely to stimulate the gut and bowel and, as with castor oil, could kick-start the uterus into action by that means.

How do I try it?
The pineapple must be fresh: bromelain is destroyed by the process of canning or juicing.

Serioulsy though, 7 pineapples? I have eaten a curry and half a fresh pineapple this evening. My friend who had her baby 6 weeks early did say her only craving through her pregnancy was pineapple though so maybe there is something in it!

ha ha ahhh you must be sooo impatient now!!...

I think it is just that it makes your bowel move abit you know the same effect like if you eat loooooads of fruit dont quote me on it though hun...

I went three days over with my second and the day before I went into labour I drank 2 full cartons of pure pineapple juice I woke early hours of that morning with contractions, Not sure if it was coincidence though xx

Ahh bless i know how frustrating it is pineapple didnt work for me but a sweep did :p

Oh god! 7 pineapples? That's ridiculous! I feel royally sick of the taste of pineapple already and I've only eaten two (fairly large) pots of fresh pineapple so far! Not sure i can stomach anymore! I might give up!!
PLEASE GET OUT NOW BUBBA!! I'll give you kisses!! xx

How about this? Might be worth a try, less burdensome than eating another 6 pineapples perhaps?

Nipple stimulation

Nipple stimulation is the gentle rubbing or rolling of the nipple to encourage the start of contractions. The theory is that oxytocin, a hormone that causes contractions, is released in the body when the breasts are stimulated.

Is it safe?
A review of studies found that contractions after nipple stimulation did not over-stimulate the uterus, which could be dangerous for the baby (Kavanagh et al 2005). There is a lack of research on the safety of this technique in high-risk pregnancy, so currently it is only recommended in normal pregnancies.

Does it work?
The review mentioned above showed a significant benefit from nipple stimulation in women whose cervix had already started to soften, thin and open ready for labour. 37 per cent women who had tried it went into labour within 72 hours as compared to just 6 per cent of those who had not.

How do I try it?
The idea is to simulate the suckling of a baby so you need to massage the whole areola (the dark area around the nipple), not just tweak the nipple. Place your palm over the areola and move in a circular motion, applying a firm but gentle pressure. This may need to be continued for some time. The usual recommendation is to stimulate the breasts for an hour, three times a day, spending 15 minutes continually stimulating one breast and then alternating to the other breast for 15 minutes until the hour is up.

I have got a sweep booked for tomorrow so, fingers crossed that works for us! Not sure i am ready for someone to be looking at my lady parts yet but, if it gets stuff going, i don't care!!!
Thanks for your replies ladies!!
Sarah xx

Ha ha ha, i just had a vision of me sitting there ''stimulating'' my nipples for an hour only to be walked in on and having to explain!! Actually had me laughing out loud!!
Will have a go but, not sure i have the patience to do it for 3 x 1hour!!
xx

I know, it is a pretty serious undertaking! That's like, half the day spent rubbing your nipples!

apparently its also supposed to get the bowels moving for a clear out, which also sends signals the get things started. Worked 4 me, i went into labour 8 hrs later! xx

I had an an internal examination and an attempted sweep this morning. I let my mum stay in the room with me :haha: I mean where she was sitting im sure she saw plenty :haha: I have got to the point where i just dont care anymore though! :haha:

I read about the 7 pineapples last night....i wouldnt even get that far! And I like pinapple!! Might buy some pure pinapple juice tomorrow give it a try.

LOL at the nipple stimulation...guess we'd try anything though im sure after three hours in one day the main thing you'd get is one hell of a sore arm/hand/wrist :haha:

Not sure is am dedicated enough for that! But then, don't think i can be as loyal as i would need to be to the pineapple either!?!? Oh, god, might just give up altogether and wait it out, she has to come out some time with or without my help!! x

I did try it all to be fair,Lavender oil, Currys, Long Walks(well waddles), break neck speed over speed humps (Joking) even a poor attempt at sex my OH face dropped when I said we were doing it, I mean how attractive a hormonal hump back/front whale demanding him get upstairs to finish what he started and did it work NOPE! ha ha thats when I tried the pineapple juice, I held my nose for the last carton because I had, had enough but like I say early hours that morning my contractions started so could have been something.....xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->