• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Pins and Needles in my hand

suzanne108

Reaction score
Every single morning I wake up with pins and needles in my left hand and I feel like its the size of a house. Its always my left hand no matter which side I'm lying on.

Just thought I'd check it was normal??!!

Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome?

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/fingerpainandnumbness/

I wake up some mornings with pins and needles in my hand too.Never really thought anything off it.xxx

Hiya

I've had this for the last couple of weeks, in both hands, but worse in my right. When I wake up my fingers are stiff and painful to move, but once I wiggle them a bit, they stop aching and the pins and needles start! The fingertips on my right hand are numb on and off throughout the day. I asked the midwife and she said it was probably a bit of carpal tunnel syndrome / fluid build up, and to keep wiggling my fingers as much as poss. But nothing to worry about, unless you notice other swelling xx

I have carpel tunnel and it sounds exactly what I have.
tll your midwife and you will be given splints to sleep in to ease it.

Also what I have found its run Ice cold water and dunk your hands in it for a few minutes it really helps.
xxx

I'll mention it to the MW on Fri when I see her just so she's aware! Hopefully it'll go away when baby arrives!

Its not too bad....I wiggle my fingers around when I wake up and it goes after a couple of mins...just seems to be getting worse over the last few days. Thanks! :flower:

Could it be carpal tunnel syndrome?

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/antenatalhealth/physicalhealth/fingerpainandnumbness/

I've just been to the physio today and thats exactly what I was told it was. I was given splints to wear at night and to wear during the day if it doesn't get better. i also read that it tends to disappear after pregnancy.

Yup, sounds like Carpal Tunnel. It's horrible - I had to go and buy a wrist splint today mine's got so bad, I get woken up all hours of the night with pins and needles and agonising finger joint pain - I'm hoping the splint works as nothing else has, inc painkillers and physio - fingers crossed!

Hi

I have had this for the last 6 weeks and it has gradually got worse. I am 38+3 now and its driving me crazy. Its Carpal tunnel in my case caused by fluid build up. I have splints for both wrists and they worked in the beginning but now they don't. I sleep until about 2-3am then wake with pin and needles, pain in my wrists and arms. I have tried hanging my arms out of the bed and lifting them above my head, nothing works. I just have to get up an walk around for a bit until it goes, then I manage to get a little more sleep before I have to get up again and do the same. I have permanent numbness in the tips of my fingers and they are like farmers hands when I get up in the morning. It takes about an hour to get my hands working again. Its a struggle to dress the kids in the morning and my fingers are hurting typing this.

I have had it in previous pregnancies and it has disappeared a few days after birth but this is the worst I have had it. Apparantly drinking lots of water helps and doing physio exercise, have tried the physio, didnt really work and spend enough time running to the loo without drinking anymore!

It is usually the hand you write with that it the worst. Thats how mine started but now the other hand is worse.

I hope that it doesn't get any worse for you, it can be very painful and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Would be worth mentioning to your midwife just to check there aren't any other symptoms as swelling can be sign of pre-eclampsia but you need all the other symptoms to go with it for it to be that.

Oh dear, I'm scared now!! :wacko:

I do have signs of PE so been told to keep an eye out for swelling, but I only get it when I wake up then after a couple of minutes its gone. I'm deffo gonna mention it to the MW, I'm scared now that its gonna get really bad! xx

Sorry, didnt mean to scare you.

I think if its pre-eclampsia the swelling would be there all the time and you would have protein in urine, high bp, headaches, visual distrurbance and pain under your ribs. It could be just carpal tunnel/repetitive strain type thing.

If you only have a couple of weeks to go then it probably wont get any worse as you won't put that much more weight on. I think more weight makes the problem worse and it usually disappears a few days after baby born.

Honestly please try dunking your hands in ice cold water. Its helped me! X

Ohhhh don't worry about scaring me....its not hard I worry for nothing :hugs:

MrsQ - do I need to do it whilst I'm getting the pins and needles, or can I just do it anytime? x

i have got carpal tunnel i have had it for about 3 weeks now.

I do it when i have the pins and needles! Try as cold as you can bear. Let me know if it helps. X

Oh my DAYS! I slept in my wrist splint last night and had my first pain-free and decent nights sleep in WEEKS! Best £16 odd I've ever spent - I'm so happy!!! I can highly recommend if anyone has very painful Carpal Tunnel. I was really cynical, I can't believe I had a pain free night! I just need a bladder solution and I might sleep straight through for the first time in 8 months! Tee hee

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"