Placenta Attachment on Ultrasound?

Orglethorp

Reaction score
Due to the physical nature of my job, my doctor said I may have to go on light duties early if my placenta is attached too low. I had my first scan today, 11+5, and although I can identify the placenta on this scan, I'm confused about the orientation of the image.

Generally at this point the fetus is mostly "upright," right? So the butt/feet are near the cervix? If that's the case, I'm worried this looks like part of the placenta is too low.

I don't get to see my doctor again until the 12th, but I have 8 shifts before then.

Attachments

• 17635093_10154171647331566_1985530159524664309_o.jpg
    17635093_10154171647331566_1985530159524664309_o.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 24
If you don't mind me asking, what's the job? Or less personal, what is the problem? Heavy lifting? Lots of bending? On your feet all day? Why wouldn't you be able to perform your job? Maybe I can help you with this, if not the ultrasound.

As for cervical positioning, was this an abdominal scan? I had a low lying placenta with my last baby, but it wasn't diagnosed until 20 weeks along because until then, it didn't matter. It caused spotting, but my doctor wasn't worried about my physically demanding lifestyle or heavy lifting.

Yes, it was an abdominal scan.

I work in the stock room at a local Walmart store. Lifting, climbing ladders, pulling freight on carts and manual pallet jacks. I team lift anything heavier than a small microwave anyway, and I don't handle anything on a ladder that I can't comfortably place up on top of the ladder from the ground (because if I can't have it wait for me at the top, I'm not getting it up the ladder!) There are obviously SO many other jobs I can do at Walmart that would be less demanding, but I'm worried I would lose my day shifts / full time status if I had to leave the back room too soon, so I don't want to do it any sooner than I have to.

I haven't had any spotting at all so far, but I do cramp a bit for the entire 2nd half of every shift. Nothing really painful, but enough to make me aware of my uterus as I walk.

Orglethorp my DH has a job very similar to yours and he comes home almost dead tired everyday so I give you much credit for being able to do all that while pregnant!

To answer your second question, your placenta actually looks high to me. It looks like it is located in the upper right corner of your uterus (since you said it was done abdominally) and not low at all. The ultrasound image is actually zoomed in so what you're seeing isn't as big as it looks. I think you're fine. At 11 weeks the baby isn't taking up my room in your uterus by now, it is literally only an inch or two in size, and is nowhere near your cervix. If they saw something on the scan that was concerning, you would probably have received a call by now from your doctor.

That's true, doc probably would have called me to come in earlier. Good point. *whew*

I agree. Placenta looks great and plenty high. I know I get crampy in the last half of my days, too. Tons of stretching going on from all the activity and lifting, too. It's all right. I get bad days now that I'm in mid-pregnancy when I HAVE to just sit down because the pulling is juts way too much, but hopefully you've got plenty of time to get to that point. Just listen to your body. I think you're gonna be given the green light, especially since you do take good care of yourself at work.

Not good with placenta stuff, but can you call them and ask? You don't necessarily need to go in, but just say you want clarity on the placenta. It should be noted in your medical record from the scan. You'd be surprised how much detail goes into your file but they don't tell you. You have a right to that info, but you have to ask. Any time I have a question, I just email my gyn and I get an answer within a day. Like last time I ranted about my measurements not being given to me so she sent me the whole record from my anatomy scan hehe within hours. Hope you get some clarity and can keep up at your job! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"