Placenta Previa

Foogirl

Baby Abby 11 weeks early
Reaction score
So, at 26 weeks, bimbled off to London last week to do some business, along with a cheeky easter break with my Husband in the middle of it. I had a little bleeding on my first day there and thought I would go to A&E just to be on the safe side. They sent me to maternity triage where 3 hours later (after an internal exam) I lost a massive amount of blood.

The stuck me in the labour ward after having given me steroid injections to boost my little one's lungs and I lay there all night, listening to women giving birth (nice!!)

Next morning they put me in the ante natal ward where I stayed for a week. I had another quite large bleed (but nowhere near the first) and then just spotted for a while. They wanted me clear of bleeding 24 hours before they sent me home.

I got home on Wednesday and I will see my own consultant here next Wednesday. I've decided to stay off work until I speak to them. The nice lady at Maternity Triage in Stirling gave me some do's and dont's over the phone.

I'm a bit confused really though. I was told at 20 weeks I had a low lying placenta and they would check again at 32. When I asked my midwife what it was about, she said "not a problem but if you bleed let us know" Should she have been more prescriptive about the risks? Should I not have taken the London trip?

So far the doctors have only spoken of the risks to me e.g blood loss but have not explained anything about risks to my baby - even though a quick search of the internet noted there may be risks to the baby.

I will ask the consultant questions next week, but has anyone else experienced this and how did it all go?

So far I have gathered I am likely to need a c-section and I am unlikely to go full term.

ooh - PS - those of you going to Guy's and St Thomas' are in for a treat. What a great place. I hope Stirling is as good!

Hi hun, didn't want to read and run...

I haven't got any answers to your questions I am afraid.

What an experience you have been through. Glad you and LO are okay though.

Take care

Tara
xx

Hey,

The only experience of placenta previa is my friend had it. But I dont really want to scare you...but this is roughly what I remember she had.

My friend had placenta previa and didnt find out until 31 weeks when she had a bleed. She was sent away when she stopped bleed and told to take it easy like bed rest I think?? She had a scan to confirm she had placetna previa though and it was decided she would need a c-section.
She then went on to bleed a little again so was admitted to the hospital until she was given a section on her due date. But I think it was so they could monitor her and if needed wisk her in for a section if she went into labour.

I know its scarey but I think the fact they now know and they can keep a good eye on you means you will be in good hands.

:hugs:

Emma.xx

Just to say 'sorry you had such an awful trip!' - poor you! - though I'm really glad Guys & St Thomas's looked after you properly.
I do know a bit about placenta previa, but not enough to be authoritative - I'll leave that to someone else who's had it. I don't think it should have stopped you going away, though - sounds just very unfortunate timing. xx

i had complete placenta previa and following 3 bleeds, the last one being an alwful lot i had an emergency c section at 34+5 and i dont want to scare you BUT it is a frightning thing to have and if you have complete previa you will have c section without a doubt!!
also you are unlikely to go full term, also as of 30 weeks+ you should be admitted to hospital so you can be monitered as you can hemhearage (sp). i was orginally booked in by my consultant to have a c section at 39 weeks....i was going for a second opinion as there is no way someone with placenta previa should be left to 39 weeks because as your uterus contracts your risk of a massive bleed increase, but i never got a chance to get a second opinion because before i knew it i had my little girl.
also you should be on bedrest and not be doing any lifting, not trying to scare you but i just want you to be aware of what i went through 7 weeks ago.
feel free to pm me if you have any questions xxx

Have you been diagnosed with previa or a low lying placenta? I've got a low lying placenta and have to be re-scanned at 34 weeks to see if it's moved. If it's just low lying you have an 80% chance that it will move, I think that chance is a lot less with previa though.

didn't want to read and run!
*hugs*

I was told at 20 weeks that I have a low lying placenta, and i have to go back at 34 weeks for a scan to check if m placenta has moved! all I really no is that I was told if I have any bleeding to contact labour ward...and if placenta not moved would def be a c-section

A soon as it was realised where my placenta had attached, I was told no sex as this will just cause more bleeding. I had a lot of bleeding in 1st tri and early second, and my placenta is just low now, not full PP. It is something that can get better on its own. Good luck :hugs:

didn't want to read and run!
*hugs*

I was told at 20 weeks that I have a low lying placenta, and i have to go back at 34 weeks for a scan to check if m placenta has moved! all I really no is that I was told if I have any bleeding to contact labour ward...and if placenta not moved would def be a c-section
I can only say, if there is any, no matter how small, please let them know!!

Have you been diagnosed with previa or a low lying placenta? I've got a low lying placenta and have to be re-scanned at 34 weeks to see if it's moved. If it's just low lying you have an 80% chance that it will move, I think that chance is a lot less with previa though.
In the beginning, it was low lying. But after last week's shennanigans,they have indicated it is still low, covering the cervix and is at the rear which means it is very unlikely it will move.

I'll take anything in my stride really.

Thanks to all for the advice. Don't worry about scaring me, I tend not to scare easy. Frankly, I wish the midwifes had been more willing to "scare" me as I'd have known of the risks and taken more care. I can't imagine hefting my case through London helped!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->