planned induction/c-section for non-medical reasons?

kiasuten

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of women are talking about their planned inductions/planned c-sections and I'm wondering: Are any of these planned for non-medical reasons?

I've heard of women planning their induction/c-section so they can tell their job exactly when they'll be on leave. Has anyone heard of this? How common would you say it is? Are doctors really willing to induce before EDD (I know 37 weeks is when baby is considered full-term, but they'll come when they're ready, right?)

Please and thanks for any responses.

Here in the USA, it really depends on your doctor but my experience is they WILL NOT induce before 39 weeks for non-medical reasons and even for medical reasons they really try to get as close to 39 weeks as possible. I was induced with my 3rd child (for medical reasons ) at 38+5 (I think) because she was getting way too big. Most docs in the US won't induce you just because you request it.....just my experience though.

I'll be induced around 39 weeks as I live far from a hospital and have my babies very fast. Hopefully its soon enough, Im nervous about having my baby in the front seat of the car! Ive been induced with all my babies. The first was at 40 weeks because he was big and I am pretty tiny. He came very fast so the following 2 were inductions at 39 weeks. I find they induce alot of people here but not really early.

Here in the USA, it really depends on your doctor but my experience is they WILL NOT induce before 39 weeks for non-medical reasons and even for medical reasons they really try to get as close to 39 weeks as possible. I was induced with my 3rd child (for medical reasons ) at 38+5 (I think) because she was getting way too big. Most docs in the US won't induce you just because you request it.....just my experience though.

That's not true.... I have heard a lot of people getting induced at 37 and 38 weeks.. My Doctor isn't letting me go past 37 weeks.. but they wont let you go less than that because at 37 weeks is considered full term. I have heard others are the same. For medical reasons.... I really think it depends on what Doctor you have. My sister got induced at 39 with both of my nieces. She knew exactly when she having them. weeks for non-medical reason. I really think it depends on what Doctor you have.You can always ask all they can say is no...

I will ask my doctor and see what she says. I just don't want to be alone for my labor, and if I go past my due date, FOB will be leaving the state and won't be getting me until a week after the baby eventually arrives.

I hope she cuts me a break. Thanks, ladies! :)

With my 1st daughter the doctor wanted to induce at my 38 week appointment...turned out she was breech so had a c-section. My 2nd daughter was emergency c-section (though planned VBAC).

I think doctors are too willing to take a baby early many times...I feel that more often than not our bodies and our babies bodies know when they are supposed to come. IMO anyway :)

My doctor said he wouldn't induce until after 39 weeks unless it's for medical reasons. (There is a lady in my child birth class who REALLY wants to have her baby early!)

I live in the U.S. and although I have heard people say they have heard that the U.S. induces a lot earlier for non-medical reasons I have NEVER heard of anyone personally doing it, nor does any doctor at my hospital do it, but I have seen people do it on t.v. on shows like "a baby story" so I am sure that it happens. Also, every doctor, hospital, area is different. So I might not be able to get a planned induction in my home town, but if I drive a few hours away they would have no problem!

A planned c-section is different. Someone might have it if a vbac is not advised, the baby is too big to fit out of the pelvis or other things.

I honestly can't think of any non-medical reasons to do it, except maybe if the husband is serving overseas and wants to see the baby before he ships off or something??? I have never heard of someone planning a c-section because they wanted to know when they should take maternity leave, BUT I have heard of people who have heard of people who did it, iykwim. :)

As far as going over a due date and leaving it up to your body, sometimes the placenta stops working and it is necessary to have the baby in order to save it. I think there are a few people on this site that lost a baby or almost lost a baby because the placenta stopped working, so, no, your body doesn't ALWAYS know what to do. But, I am sure those cases are rare.

Hopefully others have more info. :)

Most (can't say all) doctors around where I live will not induce before 39 weeks unless there is a medical reason. Even getting one to induce in the 39-40 week can be very difficult if you don't have a medical reason. I really think it depends on the area you live in.

yep, around here, your lucky if you can get a doctor to induce or do a planned c-section before your due date. I'm on baby #5 and #3 was an emergency induction b/c she didn't have enough amniotic fluid at 38wks4day. baby #5 is a planned c-section (not my choice) at 39 weeks, b/c he is huge, and I am tiny. My other 3 came on their own, and even though I was miserable with #2 (think 105+ temps outside with high humidity), my doctor said "she'll come when she's ready" and she did, eventually!!! LOL! Even Monday, the day I turned 37 weeks, I went to the hospital contracting, expecting them to at least keep me overnight, nope, they gave me IV fluids, a shot to stop the contractions, and then sent me home... Said I was "too early"

yep, around here, your lucky if you can get a doctor to induce or do a planned c-section before your due date. I'm on baby #5 and #3 was an emergency induction b/c she didn't have enough amniotic fluid at 38wks4day. baby #5 is a planned c-section (not my choice) at 39 weeks, b/c he is huge, and I am tiny. My other 3 came on their own, and even though I was miserable with #2 (think 105+ temps outside with high humidity), my doctor said "she'll come when she's ready" and she did, eventually!!! LOL! Even Monday, the day I turned 37 weeks, I went to the hospital contracting, expecting them to at least keep me overnight, nope, they gave me IV fluids, a shot to stop the contractions, and then sent me home... Said I was "too early"

Thats Crazy!!! Do you live in USA? My Doctor is def inducing me at 37 weeks if baby is ready its ready?

Going off what everyone else has said, my bestfriend's husband was deploying overseas and they still wouldn't induce her until she was 41+1 if they had to induce. She went into labor on her own the day of her induction anyway, but most doctors just won't induce unless they need to for medical reasons before 40 weeks. It's honestly better that way. Inductions CAN lead to very long and complicated labors.. not always, but they can.

That's not true.... I have heard a lot of people getting induced at 37 and 38 weeks.. My Doctor isn't letting me go past 37 weeks.. but they wont let you go less than that because at 37 weeks is considered full term. I have heard others are the same. For medical reasons.... I really think it depends on what Doctor you have. My sister got induced at 39 with both of my nieces. She knew exactly when she having them. weeks for non-medical reason. I really think it depends on what Doctor you have.You can always ask all they can say is no...

PLEASE read.....I said they won't induce before 39 weeks for NON MEDICAL reasons! Of course doctors induce before that time for medical reasons....when the risk of leaving the baby in out weights the risk of having the baby out. But you can't just demand an induction at 37 weeks.....unless you have a careless doctor and are paying cash (no insurance). In the last 3 years they have changed induction guidlelines here in the USA.....used to be docs would induce at 38 weeks for non medical reasons but the FACOG and AAP has now recommended 39 weeks for a minimum.

PLEASE read.....I said they won't induce before 39 weeks for NON MEDICAL reasons! Of course doctors induce before that time for medical reasons....when the risk of leaving the baby in out weights the risk of having the baby out. But you can't just demand an induction at 37 weeks.....unless you have a careless doctor and are paying cash (no insurance). In the last 3 years they have changed induction guidlelines here in the USA.....used to be docs would induce at 38 weeks for non medical reasons but the FACOG and AAP has now recommended 39 weeks for a minimum.

OHHHH I thought you were talking about for medical reason.... I can understand if you have no reason to get induced early they will not induce you.. My mistake

I'm getting either induced or having a C-Section on Tuesday when I will be 38+4, but it's due to medicsl reasons - I have polyhydramnios and baby is also large, soapart from that I am measurung weeks ahead fundal height wise, also it would be risky for me to labour naturally as theres the possibility of prolapsed cord and ruptured placenta.

I would have loved to have a natural birth etc, but it's just not possible due to these issues, so safety of baby and I ae more important

It honestly depends on what state your in and who your doc is here in the US. My state has one of them highest c-section rates in the country, and part of that is elective c-sections. also...look up tummy-tuck c-sections. It's starting to become a trend in certain parts of california...it's an elective c-section with a minor tummy tuck at the end so that women "don't have to work to get their old body back." Weird stuff huh?

So I guess the consensus is that I should wait it out unless there is a medical problem... and if for some reason I really can't, I'm not guaranteed to be induced before 39 weeks. It just depends on my doctor.

I'll ask when I see my doc on Monday. She'll probably tell me to just wait it out. For all I know, I'll be before 40 weeks anyway.

Thanks again!! And tummy-tuck c-sections? REALLY? That's kind of ridiculous.

Induction / section for medical reasons is fair enough but I'd definitely think twice for non medical reasons. My son was born by section at exactly 38 weeks due to placenta praevia so I never even had a contraction, despite having had the steroid injections and him being 38 weeks his lungs weren't ready and he spent a night in special care. It's rare and certainly wouldn't have happened if he would have been born naturally but it's certainly put me off early deliveries if I can avoid it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->