Planned second c section - what is it like?

Starlight32

Reaction score
We are just starting to TTC and I am very nervous about another section. I had to have a c section with my first after pushing for over 4 hours. She wouldn't pass my pelvic bone. I would not try vbac if we have another.

What's a planned c section like after having a previous one?

Personally we had a lovely experience, people think I am weird when I say that. As it was planned it wasn’t rushed and we were made to feel so special and given lots of time. I didn’t feel any pain and it was so calm and the surgeons and nurses were amazing. Told us when to get our camera ready what to take extra photos off. Do what feels right for you, I pushed to have my section and so glad I did now x

No personal experience with c-sections, but I know most first c-sections are emergency which makes them more traumatic.

Most second time c-section moms that i know have a much much easier recovery and have no complaints about electing to do it at all. Plus I do agree, the peace of mind, just going in and knowing you're having a baby that day, makes for a peaceful birth experience.

Agreed with above. I'm aiming for a VBaC this time after an emcs but have heard great things about elective sections. Better recovery and no stress. I think the fact it is a rush the first time is traumatic alone, planned sections are much calmer x

I just had my second c section. I wanted Vbac but it just wasn’t going to work out. My first section was awful but it was also an emergency. This one was planned and went so much better. Everything was great and the staff took my previous experience into consideration and really tried to make me feel as comfortable as possible. I can’t speak on recovery as my comparison is probably something most haven’t had to deal with. I am definitely up and moving but have to keep on pain meds. I feel it’s better in some aspects but I am still struggling. I heard generally your second recovery is easier.

I technically had a planned section but it went a bit odd. It was all planned for the Friday so had all my check ups, consultant went through everything and told us what was happening. But my waters broke on the Monday and I started having contractions so had to have my section quite quick, but the doctor said it was still an elective section. It was still calm though, I got to get changed and walk down, get the spinal in and get everything done (catheter and the other bits done) without stress or panic. It was a great experience compered to my first delivery (horrific!) and we went home the next day

We are just starting to TTC and I am very nervous about another section. I had to have a c section with my first after pushing for over 4 hours. She wouldn't pass my pelvic bone. I would not try vbac if we have another.

What's a planned c section like after having a previous one?

First off don't panic mama :hugs:

I'm having my third csec , second elcs in feb . My first was an emcs but even that wasn't bad . Then my elcs was so chilled out and organised! I stayed in the night before , rested well . When my time came the next day I walked to theatre , my mum sat with me whilst I had my spinal (which was painless) . Then 15min later baby was out. Mum held her whilst I was stitched up , then in recovery I had her put on me skin to skin. We were wheeled back to my room and baby stayed on my chest til I was able to sit up and move around . Which was 5 hr later .xxx . I'm looking forward to my next elcs , :hugs::hugs:

I had an elective section in May 2017 after a previous emergency csection in June 2015, the experience was so so different! I agonised over the decision for months because I felt really guilty about not having a vaginal birth the first time, but in the end I'm really glad I decided to do what was right for me and not worry about what other people thought.

Im not sure where you are but I'm in the UK and they scheduled the elective for exactly 39 weeks, I went in for a pre op assessment in the antenatal clinic at our hospital on the Friday and went in for the section on the Monday. They gave me some powder shake things to take before I went in and some antacid type tablets and some shower gel to use and a list of when to use it all, and I had to phone the morning of the csection to double check it was going ahead on time (no emergencies etc). It all went as planned and I got to hospital for about 8am and was put straight into a bed on the maternity ward, there were 2 scheduled for that day and I was told when I arrived that I'd be second, but did end up getting bumped to third as there was an emergency csection that had to go in my allotted theatre.

I got taken through to labour ward at about 1pm and had my little girl at 16.13, but was only waiting around so long as I'd already been taken through when the unplanned section happened. Otherwise I'd imagine there'd be less waiting.

It was all very relaxed, all the key staff - consultant, anaesthetist, midwife, couple of nurses came in to talk to me before hand and explained who they were and what their role would be. I was asked about my preferences - if I knew sex of baby and if not did I want hubby to tell me, if I wanted to be handed baby (if possible) or if I wanted to wait till I was out of theatre, if I wanted to do skin to skin in theatre or in room etc

I walked into theatre myself, sat on the bed and then the anaesthetist did a spinal (I'd had epidural topped up for emergency one), that was a bit uncomfortable - I didn't feel it so much when I was in labour the first time as there was so much going on with contractions, adrenaline etc. It wasn't really painful though, mainly just uncomfortable and some slight pain but I'm scared of needles and my spine is a bit sensitive. The needle itself didn't hurt, it was the pressure he applied with his hands feeling for the correct spot that I found painful lol x

It was all dead chilled out and everyone was chatting and having a bit of a laugh, really relaxed and asked if I wanted music and stuff too. When they started they told me what they were doing and it was all calm and relaxed, they got her cleaned up a lot faster and last time with my son it felt like an eternity before I got to see/hold him but this time they showed her to me straight away and she was barely out of my sight. They put scales on a trolley at the side of me so I got to watch them clean her up and weigh her etc and then they helped me to hold her.

I'd had sickness and nausea after my emergency section and this time they were prepared for it and gave me anti nausea medicine straight away and I felt better for that. With my first I was so tired from labour and the csection that I went almost straight to sleep after he had his first feed but this time I was awake and alert, so much better. Not sure if it's a concern for you but I also Breastfed with no problems, I was worried that I'd struggle and milk wouldn't come in if I didn't go into spontaneous labour first but we had no issues and I'm still breastfeeding at 6m.

Recovery wise... the first time I was in hospital for 5 days on maternity ward and then stayed in hospital an extra 4 days anyway as my son was poorly, when I got home I was still sore and struggling. I remember being in agony in the car going home etc. This time, I only had 2 nights in hospital and they were actually willing to discharge me after 1 but I opted to stay in one more night. I was up and mobile the following day and got a shower etc, which I definitely couldn't have managed first time round. I wasn't on painkillers for as long and I was more able to manage nappy changes and getting up to get her myself without having to buzz someone to pass her to me.

My biggest difficulty was that my son, just about to turn 2, didn't like me being in hospital and was upset that I couldn't carry him for a while when I got home but we both adapted fairly quickly and didn't have any jealousy issues or anything. He was actually very excited to be involved.

Good luck, feel free to message if you want to know anything else x

Thanks for all your responses. I'm pregnant now and told my OB at my appt that I want another c section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->