Planning to temp while ttc or not?

Earthylove

Reaction score
I've been debating with myself on whether or not to keep temping when we start ttc in August or if I should stop that month and just see what happens. I've been temping for nearly a few years now to avoid getting pregnant so I feel like I have a pretty good idea of when I'm ovulating and when I'm about to start my period. On the one hand I want to keep temping so I'll know exactly when I ovulated that cycle and if my temps are staying high or if they're starting to drop before AF arrives.. But on the other hand, I don't want to be real uptight about it, freaking out about every temperature change and worrying about my temp dropping.

What do you guys think? Do you plan to temp during ttc or will you just bd and see what happens? And why?

Thanks!!

I don't plan on temping, at least not in the beginning. I think temping and charting will have me stressing and symptom spotting like crazy, and all that anxiety is not going to be good for TTC. We will just bd as often as possible (because that sounds like fun) and see what happens. If we don't fall after a few months perhaps we will look into it further then.

I think you've gotta do whatever feels right for you.

No temping here either! Partly because I know I'll keep forgetting which will make it pointless and I'll get stressed at myself and partly because I think I get over pain and its exactly every 27/28 days so I'll stick with that for a while :thumbup:

I think I'm going to keep temping. I've only just come off hormonal contraception, I don't think 3 and a half months will be enough for my cycle to be super predictable. OH does not have a terribly high sex drive so I think we will have better chances if I just gently encourage bd 2 or 3 times around O. bd-ing constantly is just not gonna happen for us. Once O is confirmed I can leave him be :)

Thanks for the replies, ladies :) it's really interesting to see everyone's preference and reasons. I guess it really depends on one's own person situation, huh.

Flossie- yeah that's what I'm worried about, I feel like I will be stressing out and symptom spotting and all that rather than just having a good time. I think you have a good point, after a few months with no bfp, I could start temping again..

Jtr- I hear what you're saying! No reason to make things more stressful and complicated than they need to be! Haha.. And I think it helps when you already have an idea of when you ovulate and expect AF to show up.

Sakura- Yeah I've found temping to be very helpful in figuring out what my cycles are like. I think you're right about it being helpful for you to know what days to target for BD'ing. Best of luck to you! :)

I did the first month of trying with DD, and it just made the whole process feel like a chore. The next month we just enjoyed each other when we wanted, and I got pregnant. :) So going straight to NTNP this time to see if we have the same luck again!

No temping here either. As some of the other ladies said it would stress me out and I would easily forget. We used NFP for 6 years when I fell pregnant this last time. DH and I are okay with however long it takes, or if it doesn't happen at all though.

I'm conflicted because I just started temping, and I like knowing what my body is doing at all times. I also like the ease of being able to predict ovulation. But, I'm not TTC for 7+ months, and I feel like by then it may be nice to just let go and see what happens. I'm such a planner though so I think if we feel confident enough that we want to get pregnant right away during that time, I'll still temp to try to capitalize on the right timing. But, like I said, I keep going back and forth about it so that thought may change in the next few months!

I definitely plan on temping!

Although I won't officially be TTC until June, I've already started temping so that I can get the hang of it. DH and I have a small window of opportunity so I'd like to maximize our chances. If we don't get pregnant in the next few months, we'll have to wait a whole 1.5 years to start trying again. We want 2-3 and would prefer to not have any more kids after a certain age if we can help it....so charting and strategic BDing it is for now!

Like teevee and Needlesticker, timing is part of my rationale as well. I'll see how I feel once we start TTC, but I'm not planning to TTC continuously once we get started. I get such little maternity leave over here, I am trying to time conception so that I can maximise time off by combining with school holidays. There are some months that are better than others, so I plan to TTC kind of 'on and off'. Temping will help a lot with the strategic BD-ing, I think.

Knowing exactly what's going on with my body is great, and so far it has reduced my stress. I think temping will also keep me from POAS during the TWW.

Wow, so many great responses, so much to consider! I'm also trying to time ttc to coincide with school holidays as I plan to start working at a school when I finish my degree. I'm hoping that if I BD every other day or so after AF has left, that should cover things pretty well.. I hope.. But one thing I think I'll miss if I do decide not to temp while ttc is having a pregnancy chart and being able to say yes, I ovulated on this day, therefore conception likely took place on this day, my temps stayed elevated for this long and pregnancy was confirmed on this day. Is it just me? I know it's totally unnecessary but still would be cool! Lol. Like some others have already said, I also really like knowing exactly what my body is doing, so I think that's part of it.

On the flip side that's also why I don't think I should temp. I'm afraid I'll obsess and stress myself out! If I don't know exactly when I ovulated, then I can't google "5 DPO symptoms" and obsess over what's going on with my body. I really want to be relaxed about this. :wacko:

I don't know that you need to temp for that, I've been charting without temping and I think I have been able to see where I've ovulated pretty well just from CM and symptoms alone. YMMV

I already started temping again! I just want the best chance to conceive each month possible. I figure a few months temping before will give me a good idea of my cycle. I did that with both of my other kids and we conceived quickly so I'm hoping that will happen again.

LOVE temping!! :haha: For me being an Ex-LTTC'er I want to have that little bit of insight into what's going on and to ensure I'm not missing the precious 36 hours. But if your TTC for the first time it might be worth just seeing what happens and having (very) regular :sex: Good luck for when the time comes xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->