Playing with food instead of eating

pk4

Reaction score
Hi my daughter has just turned one and I've noticed that when I feed her meals that have to be eaten with a spoon e.g. spag bol, soup etc she will eat it with no fuss. But when she eats finger oods e.g. fruit/veg pizza she plays with it and hardly eats any.
I'm just concerned that she's not eating enough compared to when I feed her with a spoon.
I know all children learn with their hands and mouth. Just wondered if anyone else is concerned or is there anything I can do. Or do I simply just let her carry on and am worrying for nothing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.s. not been on this site for long and have to say I'm loving it and am getting addicted to it lol! :flower:

is she any good with a folk?

could try giving her some cutlery, i started
when emily was around 12 months and now she
eats perfectly with them

worth a shot, she might eat more if she
has to work for it lol :flower:

I have given her the spoon sometimes but she waves it around and the food goes everywhere. Feeding her with the spoon is not a problem it's when she self feeds with her fingers :)

My son does this with some foods but not others. He eats cubes of fruit, toast and things like that fine but when he has something more new like (chilled) vegetable omelette he makes a mess so I end up feeding him most of it and letting his try himself with a bit. I think it is normal and just a novelty thing for them. :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry hun. It's all still pretty new at that age. I would just help her along by popping bits into her mouth for her. When DD was going through this stage i would also make meals that were half finger foods and half spoon fed stuff. Then you could spoon feed her inbetween her picking things up as she feels like it. :)

Thanks guys. The past couple of days she seems to eat half her food then she starts the spit it out and play with it. I've not changed meal portions and it's not with new foods. Just another phase I guess? :)

Phase I reckon. Ruby has never been spoonfed but she does play with her food and / or spit it out sometimes.

Connah still does this sometimes, expecially with finger foods. We find that if we give him a fork, even for things like pizza cut up into pieces, he eats alot better xx

I might try that then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"