Please can someone Explain to me about ovulation

Bellaloo12

Mum of 5
Reaction score
I am confusing myself. I am just looking for someone to explain that does the length of your period and cycle depend on when you ovulate and when are you most fertile? I have downloaded a cycles app andnit says i am fertile from the day my period finishes up to two days after ov Is that right?

What a great question...I'm really not sure and I confused myself also.

My periods are between 5-7 days and I feel like I always tend to ovulate near the end of my cycle... I have no idea if it has any effect

Hmm its so odd. I have confused myself so much i always thought you were fertile like 14 days after your period? i know everyone is different but i think roughly thats the case x

Hi girls!!

There are two phases in your menstrual cycle: the follicular phase (before O) and the luteal phase (after O). If you are trying to AVOID pregnancy, we generally say that you're not safe (ie you might be fertile) until 2 days after O (2 days for good measure, as the egg stays alive for 24 hours after O). Realistically, you become more and more fertile as O approaches. This is because your cervix secretes fertile cervical fluid that will help sperm stay alive and reach the egg. Sperm can live for days in your body (it CAN stay alive for up to 10 days, but realistically it doesn't usually live past 5 days unless both partners are super fertile!). The length of your cycle should not affect your fertility. That said, the length of your luteal phase IS an indicator of fertility. Your luteal phase (after O) should be at least 10 days, and the more days the merrier! This is true because the fertilized egg needs time to implant, which can take anywhere from 5-12 days (average between 7-9 days) before your body kicks in menstruation. I hope this helps! :flower:

I should add that the only way to confirm ovulation without an ultrasound is through temping and charting your cycle . Also, periods of 5 days or longer are usually better than short light periods as it is sign that your uterine lining is being shed properly and a fresh one will form! ;)

^^everything she said ;)

And I wanted to add, I've read that generally (without supplements/medications) your Luteal Phase (after O) stays the same, but the days before O can vary. So by charting, you will be able to tell your LP length, but may not be able to predict ovulation if your o dates fluctuate.

So once you figure out your LP you should be able to count backwards from each period and tell which day you ovulated on...does that make sense??

I ovulate anywhere between cycle days 13 thru 16 but I always have a 13/14 day luteal phase. Luckily I have a pretty textbook BBT chart & I can confirm these things with OPK and temping.

Hope I helped! :)

Wow, very interesting about counting backwards from period to calculate ovulation.

If I remember right I've always had a short LP. Thank you!

Wow i didnt realise that thanks ladies. So if i wanted to figure out my luteal phase how do i do it exactly? Doni count back from the first day of my period backwards to my previous cycle about 10 days is that what you mean? Sorry 😖 for questions lol x

If you want to know how long your luteal phase is, then you need to chart! You can download a free app (or log on to the internet) called fertility friend, and make an account. First thing every morning and at the same time (I set my alarm for 6 am as that's the earliest I have to wake up.) take your temperature. (I keep my thermometer under my pillow case.). Log your temp in your fertility friend account, and you'll be able to see when you ovulate, and thus how long of a luteal phase you have. You can click on the chart in my signature to check out my last month's chart. You can know that O takes place when there is a significant and sustained temp shift. Ovulation occurs on the day of the last "low" temp. Fertility friend also has free informational videos! Xxx

I use fertility friend too!
Just take your temp first thing every morning at the same time - before drinking, peeing, talking, etc... You can either graph it yourself or put in in FF (which will graph it for you). Before o you will see lower temps, and after it will be higher, due to progesterone (called a thermal shift).
As Tasha said, Ovulation day is the last day of low temps (fertility friend will put a red vertical line on that day so you know.) Then, when your period starts, you can count how many days from O to AF to know your luteal phase.

If you have no thermal shift, that means no ovulation (if you are charting correctly).

My chart is in my siggy - this cycle just started for me, but scroll down to see last cycle & you will see a clear thermal shift & temps dropping on AF day 1. And with a BFP, temps will stay up.

Thanks ladies i am so intrigued now so is the luteal phase the time you cant get pregnant x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->