Please help! Crying at the breast after feed

Future-Sailor

Reaction score
Hello all! My LO who is 4 months now sometimes cries at the breast after feeds. I just don't know what it is...after 20 minutes of feeding at both breasts she is still crying and comes off the boob whenever I try and put her back on. I eventually loose my patience and take her off and wind her until she calms down...

Just wondering if anyone know why she's doing that and if anyone has experienced something similar before? Should I offer a top up of EBM?

Thanks!

you said you wind her until she calms down?

Does she bring up a lot of wind?
I never burp my LO as he doesnt normally need it but from experience i know that when he gets really aggitated during feeds and upset and keeps crying its been because he needs burping..i always get so frustrated not knowing why he was crying then sit him up for a minute or two and he lets out a massive burp and is fine after that!

i wouldnt think she needs a top up personally as you said she calms down after you wind her? Maybe she just gets quite burpy and is in pain/uncomfortble during feeds?

x

We have this same problem - no idea why she does it! She also refuses quite a bit even if she hasn't fed in ages :shrug:

If the winding helps, it might be a forcefull let down or fore/hind milk imbalance causing extra wind?

Thanks girls for the reassurance! I'm relieved I'm not the only one with this issue. I guess if it was a matter of low milk supply and she was still hungry she would be crying after every feed and would not stop!

It could be down to wind, but could also be her way of telling you that she is full. If she is getting 20 mins on each side she may not be getting to the hind milk which would mean that she's getting lots of the watery fore milk which can lead to a fussier baby. Try feeding on one side till she comes off on her own - she'll get the full benefit of the hindmilk, then if you think she is stil hungry offer the other breast.

x

I have this problem, my hv came and saw me and lo feeding to establish why...

Turns out my flow is too slow and letdown not fast enough so LO is sometimes becoming frustrated and not feeling satisfied (hv did say that at different times of day your body produces different amounts of milk etc so can sometimes happen at certain times of the day and not at other times)....Its now come about that we are having to top up with formula when this happens after the feed to supplement and hes been fine since...

What i do now is just to make sure my supply doesn't drop as i am continuing to breast feed before giving a bottle at any point once baby is having bottle i express and then any expressed milk i can use instead of formula to top up at the next feed x

I have this problem, my hv came and saw me and lo feeding to establish why...

Turns out my flow is too slow and letdown not fast enough so LO is sometimes becoming frustrated and not feeling satisfied (hv did say that at different times of day your body produces different amounts of milk etc so can sometimes happen at certain times of the day and not at other times)....Its now come about that we are having to top up with formula when this happens after the feed to supplement and hes been fine since...

What i do now is just to make sure my supply doesn't drop as i am continuing to breast feed before giving a bottle at any point once baby is having bottle i express and then any expressed milk i can use instead of formula to top up at the next feed x

It normally happens in the middle of the day so what you are saying makes sense and I have had troubles with letdown recently so I'm on the fennel tea and Fenugreek to try and improve things. I always express when LO goes to bed as she STTN so I always have a bottle of EBM in the fridge for emergencies...however I am cautious about using it just in case it affects my supply. Thanks for your advice! I am suprised the HV was so helpful to you - I've asked my HV recently and she didn't know what to suggest :-S

BTW how old is your LO?

when daisy does this i wind her and then offer the other breast - seems to do the trick for us !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->