Please Help! Determining LMP--On the Pill with Irregularities

CountryBride

Expecting #2!
Reaction score
Hi all :) I was wondering if any of you have experience with this--or have any advice to offer:

I have always had irregular cycles--usually 25-35 days. I went on the pill years ago and for the most part it fixed that. Then when hubby and I decided to have our first baby we got pregnant the very next month. Post partum my periods have been different. I went on the minipill around 3 months--but it did not agree with me so at 6 months I switched back to the combo pill. It's now been 6 months and my periods have still not regulated. Sometimes they come right as expected (middle of placebo week), but many times they come a week or even week and a half before--and no I don't mean I spot a little--I mean I start bleeding the third (active pill) week and continue until I finish the placebos and start a new pack. It hasn't really mattered until now that we've decided to start trying again. So I stopped after my last pack.

The problem is--how do I determine my actual LMP? I started bleeding on Oct 2, the first day of the third (active pill) week. Spotting, then light, medium, heavy, then it tapered back off and I stopped bleeding on the 12th. I finished the placebo week, not that it mattered, and just didn't get another pack. I've googled it and heard people say that "early" periods on the pill aren't a thing--that it's just breakthrough bleeding. I should count the "period" I get on the placebo week...But I was under the impression that we don't actually get a "period" at all on the pill, just a withdrawal bleed. Also, if my bleeding during the week before is more than just breakthrough spotting--and appears to be a full, normal period, just earlier and longer--should I then count that as my LMP date?

I have some apps to track this stuff, but it doesn't really tell me what to consider my actual LMP date--I know it's only the difference of a few days--but I've been feeling sick & pregnant for over a week now. (Although it could just be me coming off the pill) I really hope I'm pregnant--but I want an accurate date for my LMP because last time my doctor misdiagnosed my due date--my baby came what was supposed to only be 3 weeks early--but according to the doctors at the hospital they believe she was much earlier--slick feet and all that. I don't want to have that happen again.

Any ideas?

The reason you need to know the first date of your LMP is to determine the start of your cycle. So even though neither your bleeding in week 3, nor your bleeding during the placebo week are a technical 'period' (in terms of losing lining and egg), I'd go with the placebo week, since this is when you stopped taking the pill and so you arguably started your 'natural' cycle.

It's also later, so you run less risk of having a too-early due date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->