Please help, failed hsg, so worried

Trying 2 cope

Reaction score
Hey ladies,
Please answer me if u can help. I'm just bck from my hsg, it failed because my cervix was open and the dye didn't stay in long enough to get to my tubes. At least I think that's what they said. I was so upset I didn't see the dye in the tubes. They said I have to go for a laporoskopy now but that's four months away. Surely it's a good indication the tubes are blocked? Did this happen to anyone one else? Am so scared about laporoscopy and any believe I'm no future on. Please help me feel better?

I haven't had a HSG but I have read that your tubes can go into spasm so the dye can't go through sometimes. I've had 2 laps and I was petrified but glad I had them coz they found endo and removed it. They also did the dye test while I was under and found that I had one blocked tube. I know four months seems a long way off but it will come round fast. Get yourself a ticker and count down. Also can you ring and say you'll take a cancellation?

Yeah I will do that. How come u had laps before hsg? I can't find anything on net about hsg failing but they seemed to think it wasnt that strange.

They saw I had a fibroid on a scan and so decided to do a lap to investigate.

Good luck trying to get an earlier one!

:hugs: Hey don't be hard on yourself. These things happen. I didn't want to R & R but just wanted to reassure you that you are certainly not a freak. If you want to speed things up, you could maybe enquire about doing the Lap privately. I have no idea how much it would cost though. I recently enquired about a private HSG and they quoted me 450 pounds.

:flower:

You're not a freak!:hugs::hugs::hugs: I havent had a lap but lots of women have and it helps find issues that would otherwise go unnoticed. Everything will be fine, I know four months is a long time while your ttc but you can still ttc on your own in the meantime. And I agree about maybe seeing about a cancelation. :hug::hug::hug:

Well girls a wee update- I rang my doctor the day after and told him what had happened. He said it wasn't fair I should wait and he would sort it. He's my fertility consultant and a surgeon and within an hour his assistant rand and booked me in for this Tuesday!!!! Four months turned in to 6 days with one phone call!
Still not thrilled about having it done but just so happy that he could do this for me. I'd investigated the private option on line and it would have been in the thousands.
Still can't find any evidence of others going through what I did but thank u all for posting. I'll let u know what happens on Tuesday. Xx

I had an HSG procedure yesterday morning. Did they not put a balloon in? Mine were starting to spasm and the dye was taking a while to go through so they put a balloon in which held the dye in my cervix and went through my tubes. Are they going to attempt another HSG procedure?

Nope. Just lap now. There was a balloon but honestly think the girl just didn't know what she was doing. Ur results were good?

yeah mine came back normal. It definitely sounds like it was her error. I have never heard of an HSG being bad unless the tubes were blocked. I am glad you are getting another one done sooner than later. Request someone else too, do not go with the same person. That procedure does not feel good enough to do multiple time.

I'm reviving this thread, partly because the same thing happened to me today, and partly because I'm eager to find out whether you had your lap, Trying2cope, and what it showed.

Basically I tried to have a HSG but the dye would not stay long enough to travel to my tubes. They tried and tried, and even inserted what they called 'a bigger tool' :dohh: but only managed to get an image of my uterus (which they said didn't show any anomalies).

Researching this, I've found that it's got to do with the technique. The doctor himself said I too had to go for a lap now, but wasn't too fast to diagnose blocked tubes. Instead he said that I may possibly have an insufficient cervix, indications of which showed up at the HSG, and that this may be the reason why the liquid kept running back out again.

Hey,
well my lap went well. No blockages at all. Only confirms my suspicion that this was error on their part. Especially seen as i had booked for it privately and i am still waiting for the bill.
Your experience sounds very similar to mine. The reaction from my FS and how quickly he sorted everything out for me makes me certain that this is caused by the people carrying out the HSG rather than blocked tubes. I was absolutely devestated after it and did quite a lot of digging but could find very little on failed HSG's. On here you can usually come across someone with a similar experience but i couldnt. I think its rare and is no indication of real problem.
How long will you gave to wait for lap?

Oh hon, I'm so happy lap showed no blockages.:happydance:

I was thinking about it yesterday. A failed test doesn't necessarily mean blocked tubes. The purpose of the test is to show whether the dye goes through or not, so the test fails when the job doesn't get done. The doctor that performed my HSG didn't seem too worried (and neither was my FS, although he did mention we still don't know what's going on and that the lap is the only way to find out) and said that it's possibly due to cervical insufficiency. I could feel the dye running back out the very minute he inserted it, so it wouldn't have time to even attempt to travel to the ovaries.

I'm not sure when I'm going for a lap. I may have endo on my left ovary too, but the FS said this isn't necessarily stopping me from conceiving. Basically my left ovary is stuck underneath my uterus, but it seems to be functioning properly. I had two ultrasounds done in two different cycles and they both showed what the doc referred to as 'a really nice follicle'.

I'll be meeting the FS and discussing plan B in the next few days.

How long have you been trying, may I ask?

:flower:

18 months. I'm going through iui this cycle. Just had my fourth injection of Gonal f.

Thanks. It's not much fun so far. Scan on Tuesday. I'll let ya know. Let me know when u get date for lap.

O
I'm not sure when I'm going for a lap. I may have endo on my left ovary too, but the FS said this isn't necessarily stopping me from conceiving. Basically my left ovary is stuck underneath my uterus, but it seems to be functioning properly. I had two ultrasounds done in two different cycles and they both showed what the doc referred to as 'a really nice follicle'.

My RE said my left ovary was also under my uterus. Did your doc say why this happens, and if it is a problem?

18 months. I'm going through iui this cycle. Just had my fourth injection of Gonal f.

I think an iui will probably be in the near future for me as well. I had an inconclusive hsg as well. Some of the ink went through my tubes, but some of it pooled at the top of my uterus and went through the blood vessels. :saywhat: Doc didn't know what to make of it, so we're scheduling a lap for next cycle. Awesome. He suspects a little endo. After that (assuming my tubes aren't blocked, but he doesn't think so, since some of the ink went through), we'll schedule an iui.

Keep us updated on your iui! Good luck! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"