Please help ladies with a massive decision VBAC?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Tommee, Jun 3, 2011.

  1. Tommee

    Tommee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Ladies,

    This is a massive deal to me and decision that I need to make.

    I've been to the Hospital today for a scan to check on bubs position to my disbelief she was head down I was convinced another oblique baby like DS which was the reason for my last planned C Section.

    I've also suffered several early losses and in medication and aspirin for both babies also I've had surgery to correct a uterine septum.

    I'm a massive worry wart and are scared of VBAC due to scar rupture and worried about babys health. Then a VBAC would mean I wouldn't have to gave major surgery and back on my feet quicker, but what if??

    I don't know my head is pounding it's making me I'll I'm so scared if making the wrong choice. I just want DD to here safe and well. I need to phone the Hospital early next week to let them know.

    Pleasssssse any advice? Everyone at the hospital wouldn't give me any just said we can't influence you either way, also I have a high BMI if that makes any difference?
     
  2. caz81

    caz81 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2009
    Messages:
    7,188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Im having to make this decision at the moment as well and its a tough one! I think I am going to go for a planned c-section instead of the VBAC; these are my reasons:

    1.If I have a VBAC I will have to have constant monitoring
    2.They like you to have an epidural which will slow things down and therefore make a c-section (emergency) more likely anyway
    3.Im scared of risk of rupture & dont want to risk that
    4. I failed to progress last time and so dont have a lot of faith I will manage this time

    Those are just my reasons for my choice and I know a lot of people have had a successful VBAC and would want to go for it, I just dont think I do!

    My biggest thing I guess is I dont want to end up trying for a VBAC and failing and ending up having an emergency c-section; where I am a VBAC is a very medicalised birth which has a much higher risk of ending in a section, if im going to have a c-section I would rather it was planned rather than emergency

    Good luck with whatever you decide- its such a hard decision, I have been swaying back & forth with my decision the whole pregnancy but I think this is my final choice xx
     
  3. SmokyJoe78

    SmokyJoe78 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Messages:
    600
    Likes Received:
    0
    There's still time for the baby to turn - have you been trying anything?
     
  4. nugget80

    nugget80 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    2,160
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had a successful VBAC with dd2 and will be doing the same thus time round. Personally I would say a VBAC is far better than a section as the recovery time is quicker and when I had mine I was home next day which was important. will be going for a second VBAC with this one and having more info and experience I will be trying to avoid an epidural and also realise I do not need constant monitoring. I am seeing consultant on Tuesday but midwife does not forsee any problems, only issue I have is raised blood pressure so will be given a sweep on Tuesday as consultant does not want me to go over and cos of previous csec they can't induce...
     
  5. littleblonde

    littleblonde kacey and sophie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Messages:
    7,209
    Likes Received:
    0
    im hopin to vbac. My dd was breach! My consultant has said she will interven as little as possible!its my choice if i have an epi. I do need constent monitoring but can move around!sure im nervous but im doin this for kacey. She still needs to be picked up by mummy. And if i have a section i wont be able to. Dont want her to see her sister in my arms and not her
     
  6. littleblonde

    littleblonde kacey and sophie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Messages:
    7,209
    Likes Received:
    0
    and the risks with section is higher than risk with vbac
     
  7. Tommee

    Tommee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah bubs has turned she's head down already I've been offered a Section due to already having a previous one it was DS that was oblique, although I often thought would he have turned if I'd would have waited? I'll never know now.
     
  8. NOMORENUMBERS

    NOMORENUMBERS Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    Messages:
    3,543
    Likes Received:
    0
    i will give you my reason for wanting a c section over vbac.

    my son was incredibly ill when he was born and alot of that is down to the midwives "looking after me"

    i have zero trust in anyone birthing my baby naturally and also suffer from anxiety about the same thing happening again. for that reason i want a c section.

    if it was simply a case of didnt progress or positioning then i would actually want to attempt vbac because i wouldnt be so petrified from my previous experience.

    i say go with your heart, any type of birth can end in a c section so the excuse of it could end up being section anyway isnt massively valid as any birth could lol

    if you want a natural birth then you go for it! if there is something in your head, like you what if syndrom, that is making you doubt the safety to you or your baby then go for the c section! i know it is alot more accepted to want a vbac over another section but at the end of the day it is your choice and your reasoning.

    follow you heart, head and gut on this one. i had a gut feeling something was going to go wrong in my last labour and it did and i have that same gut feeling this time if i were to attempt vbac. only you can make this choice but make sure it is the one YOU are comfortable with not what you think people want you to say
     
  9. LaLaBelle

    LaLaBelle Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    867
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oh honey, whatever method you choose is the right choice! There's no "wrong" decision- whatever results in a healthy baby and a healthy you is fine- I think both options are equally right!

    (A high BMI doesn't affect your ability to push the baby out)

    Personally, if I were in your situation, I would try for a VBAC. If something goes wrong, you're in the hospital, you're being watched constantly, and you would immediately get the C-section if you needed it. It's kind of the best of both worlds. I would spend LOTS of time talking to my doctor, though, about the risks and benefits of both, and reading up as much as I could about VBACs and emergency cesareans. Make a list of questions to ask your doctor/midwife- every question that pops into your head!


    I don't think there's a right way or wrong way to birth, and you need to do whatever you're happiest with, and whatever leaves you and baby the healthiest. Both options are equally valid- it just depends on you personally and your choice.


    Good luck, and enjoy these last few weeks!
     
  10. Tommee

    Tommee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thanks ladies the clocks ticking and I have to phone the Hospital today with my choice..

    I have read up on VBAC until my head hurts spoke to DH until I'm sick if the sound of my own voice. Both he and my Dad think as bubs us head down then my body is ready to labour so maybe go down the VBAC route? Also my Consultant when I saw him at 26 weeks was pro VBAC.

    Anyway I was thinking should I allow and give my body a chance to labour then say at 41 weeks if nothing has happened then opt for a C Section? As I don't want to be induced as I know the risks increase and whilst in labour tell them I was little intervention?

    I'm just so scared if making the wrong choice my LO life could depend on it.
     
  11. littleblonde

    littleblonde kacey and sophie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Messages:
    7,209
    Likes Received:
    0
    thats what im doing. Vbac if go naturally. But no induction. So will be section if not. If vbacs where that unsafe then we wouldnt be allowed to have one. There are big risks with sections yet i guess cause we had 1 before we dont think of them. The risk of scar rupture is less than the risk of a complicated section
     
  12. Tommee

    Tommee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    285
    Likes Received:
    0

    How far over your due date will you allow before you have another C Section?
     
  13. Kittee

    Kittee Pregnant with #2!

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    Messages:
    1,785
    Likes Received:
    0
    I just actually talked to my OB about this this morning...

    I'm going to try for VBAC. If I don't go into labor naturally by 42 weeks, then I will schedule a C. They are not comfortable (neither am I) with inducing due to the increased rupture risk.
     
  14. littleblonde

    littleblonde kacey and sophie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    Messages:
    7,209
    Likes Received:
    0
    they havnt said. But im gonna ask for around a week i think. I have a sweep booked at 40+1 and see my consultant!if they can sweep and she engaged and things look promising so to speck i will wait a few more days. If they cant sweep i will probably just book a section asap after then!she is head down and on the brim. So is going in the right direction! I do feel positive for a vbac. Im scared but think its an unknown fear.kacey is only 15mth and this adjustment is gonna be huge. I dont want her to see me hold the new baby and not be able to hold her. I want as little resentment as possible x
     
  15. ellie27

    ellie27 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    Messages:
    10,839
    Likes Received:
    0
    Anna was breech and born by c-section.

    If this is another breech then I am going for a c-section.

    Assuming it is not, then I will be having a vbac. I was given the option, but they were all for vbac!!

    I hope baby turns for you!:flower:
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice