Please help! Spelling and pronouncitation

Momof3plus1

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have an issue with the way my daughter’s name is constantly being mispronounced and would really appreciate your input/ help.

The correct pronounciation is UH-lie-ya.
I spelt it Aliyah and this is commonly associated the the pronunciation of Uh-lee-ya (which is pretty but not what I want).

My question is how would you spell the name with the pronounciation i intended (uh-lie-ya)?

Is my spelling of the name correct?

I would pronounce it exactly as you intended if I saw her name for the first time. I'm in the US, raised in the Southwest and lived all over, so not representative of any particular region. Would be curious if others pronounce it differently depending on where they're from!

I would pronounce it exactly as you intended if I saw her name for the first time. I'm in the US, raised in the Southwest and lived all over, so not representative of any particular region. Would be curious if others pronounce it differently depending on where they're from!
Im so glad to hear that! Thanks for you response! I’m from California, my daughter’s teacher was calling her uh lee ya and thought something was wrong with her becasue she wouldn’t answer until I corrected her (and my daughter started answering ). At doctor’s appointments I get uh-lee-ya as well so I thought maybe I should change it to better represent the pronounciation.

Same, I would have pronounced it like you intended to be pronounced. I love that name btw!

I would actually pronounce it Uh-lee-ya, I know a few who spell and pronounce it in this manner. I would pronounce Alyah uh-lie-ya. Either way that name is a classic, it's beautiful. :flow:

I would pronounce it Ah-lee-ah. I'm in the UK though.

I would have pronounced it Ah-lee-yah. I have a similar issue though with my daughter's name. My oldest daughter's name is Riya pronounced Rye-yah but a lot of people pronounce it Ree-yah. I know it bothers you, it bothers me too but I just end up correcting them politely. Some people even ask how I pronounce her name just so they get it right.

I'm in the US, I would pronounce your daughters name, without knowing the intended pronunciation, Uh-lee-ya.
Alaiya- I might pronounce this as uh-lie-ya
I don't think what you have used is "incorrect" though. There was a girl in my high school who went by Ma-lee-sa instead of Ma-liss-a but spelled Melissa.

I would assume the Li was pronounced “lee” also.

The boy’s name Ali, for instance.

I'm in the UK and everyone here would pronounce it as A-lee-ya. I don't think I've ever heard of an A-lie-a before but it's really nice.

This thread just reminded me of a quote from the great and hilarious movie Clueless -- when Cher is held up at gunpoint and told to lie down on the ground, she says imploringly "You don't understand. This [dress] is an Alaia!"

So maybe that would have been a better spelling. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->