please help with timing

andalusi

Reaction score
After much thought about the different options offered by the fertility clinic I decided that since I have no physical problems, even though I am almost 39, I am going to try IVI at home for a few tries. My gynecologist is very supportive and signed the papers so that I can have it delivered to my home… amazing what you can have delivered over fedex! I need help timing this. I use a clearblue fertility monitor and opks. I read online that when I get the egg on my fertility monitor or a smiley face on the opk it just detected LH surge and I wasn’t ovulating yet, but ovulation was imminent in 12-36 hours. Considering that I heard frozen sperm live only 12-24 hours and that it takes 6 hours for it to reach the egg. When should I inseminate? I was thinking of doing it 12 hours after the LH surge. What do you think? I will only be using one vial per month for the first few tries. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

the only way to be sure to know when you ovulate is to temp. The problem is that you find out afterwards, so it is to late for that cycle.

The norm is to ovulate 12 to 36 hours after getting a peak or +opk, but it is not always the case. I always ovulate late afternoon, and that of the day of my peak. Ideally, I should bd the evening before, and in the morning, but don't forceably know the night before and mornings in the week is a rush for us, OH usually leaving for work at 7am.

I think leaving it 12 hours after the surge is taking a risk unless you are certain you ovulate later. It is better to do a bit earlier even if some sperm has already started to die, than later and the egg has shrunk before the swimmers even had the chance to get there.

Good luck :hugs:

I can tell you my timing for IUI - it did the trick for me! I use CBFM, too, and was getting high's for several days. I also used OPK's during the day so I could see when I was getting close to a peak.

* We BD'd the night before the peak.
* Nothing the day of the peak, but scheduled IUI for the following day.
* IUI at 10AM on the second peak day.
* BD again evening of the second peak.

I was TTC naturally for over 3 years, and this was my first IUI. So I have to assume it was the IUI and not our natural attempts. The timing is how my clinic (and most others) do it - test with second day's urine & schedule IUI the day after the surge.

Good luck.

FBbaby thanks for the advice... so true we are not always the norm. I tried temping but gave up before finishing the cycle... should probably start again and maybe this time will have better results. Considering my cycles are so irregular who knows how I ovulate.

lola13 congratulations! I am so happy that you are finally expecting after so much trying! I think the timing with the IUI is different because they kind of get a head start lol. I appreciate the advice because I might start IUI's next year if this doesn't work.

I am going to start with IVI for at least three cycles with one vial, then move on to two per month and then if that doesn't work IUI's. This way I have a while of trying and if something doesn't work I still have something new to try for a while before giving up. Ironically I started out thinking IVF just to have the best chance of getting it over with quickly... but I can't stand the idea of the leftover embryos being tossed and I couldn't just give them away either... so best to avoid that. Thanks again for answering I appreciate the advice :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"