Please Read - Obstetric Cholestasis

Jo

I'm an old bag!
Reaction score
Hiya girls/ladies,

I thought it important that i start this thread as I had this condition when i was PG with Jack and there was very little information about it.

We all know the signs to look for with Pre Eclampsia but non of the baby books i was given explained about this.

This condition can be a threatening one to both mum and baby if not treated correctly (please don't be scared).

I started with mild itching on my arms at about 30 weeks, my MW sent me for blood tests and it was OC.

Basically it is a blood/ liver disorder flow of bile is restricted as the liver is not fuctioning properly which leads to a build up of bile acids in the blood which is what causes the itching.
I was given steroids and various other pill and potions (15 a day in all!!) and monitered very closly and the delivered Jack at 37 weeks

The main signs to look for are ITCHINESS, TIREDNESS(i know we are more tired anyway!) and FEELING INCREASINGLY HOT

I thought it important to post this now as it could be confused with the warm weather and it would be better to be safe than sorry.

I am going to put some links up for you if you have any questions please feel free to ask either on here or PM me

https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/content/diseases/obstetic_cholestasis.asp
https://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068933/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/obstetriccholestasis1.shtml

www.itchymoms.com

https://www.ocsupport.org.uk/

Hiya, since i was about 14/15 weeks i have been having all of these signs at first i thought it was heat rash, as i was itching when i was hot and also getting alot of bumps where i was itching, then it, just started happening everyday and still now i am itching like mad and getting very hot all though my flat it not warm, i have made a doctors appointment for today as i read on another page that it can be in 2nd tri aswell so hopefully its not but dont know what it is other thatn that.

well good luck hun, you did the right thing making an appointment
Its normally more in 3rd tri but i suppose it can happen earlier

This is really scary i get itchy on my upper body all the time but i think it is just dry skin it happens to me when i am pregnant

i went to the docs he said he cant tell at the mo he has given me some fexofenadine for now to see if that helps coz he thinks that it maybe n allergic reaction to sumthin if it dnt help to tell my MW and she will do the test for me

during my pregnancy with my son, i would always get very itchey hands and arms, i mentioned this to my mw who didnt seem to take any notice and so i did my own research and i came across info all about what it could be and one thing was this! i think reading it made me itch even more - so more than anything i think it was me panicking and it being in my head, everytime i saw the mw i was adement she check me for this but she just kept tellin me i was fine - and i was!

but i do agree that there should be more info out there about this as other than the odd info i could find online - i dont think many people get told about it!

Thanks for this thread!! as u said....better safe than sorry!! xx

hmmm. I have itchy boobs sometimes but i did get the hand thing and over heating which was nasty and my doc said it was normal. Its cleared up now though i hope that was just normal itching as i am nervoous reading all that now.

Your post is really helpful honey, so thank you! Saw GP today because of Itching! Have a blood tests tomorrow

C x

erm hi evry1 i have been itching for a few weeks now and its driving me nuts on my back bottom half of my legs my bbs and my arms i am only just touching 14 weeks though is this too early to have it?????????? no lotions and potions seem to work

It does seem to be early but check with your MW or GP just to be on the safe side

try cool flannels it seems to help with itching

Just found out yesterday that i have this lovely thing i am ripping myself to bits scratching away :cry:

This has got me worried now. For a few weeks I've been extremely itchy. It's extremely bad on my legs and arms at the moment. As soon as I start scratching my skin turns very very red and all these bumps start appearing.

I wish I would've read this before my last doctors appointment so I could have mentioned what I've been experiencing.

Thanks for posting this!

Please note that if you are itching when you get hot and get bumps or hives this could also be something completly different. This could be chronic urticaria, I know some mothers who would get this onset by their hormones. Also this could be a sign of dry skin. I'm sure we all lather ourselves up as much as possible, but its winter here and its very dry air. I cover myself up in lotion and I still itch. I put a humidifer in our house and it helps some.

thanks for the post, any information/advice of what to look out for is so helpful!

I was diagnosed with this at 37 weeks... i did experience some itching but nothing that worried me!
The oc plus pre eclamsia led to me being induced at 37.2 weeks!!!

i had Obstetric Cholestasis on my 3rd child (not on the other 2) i kept getting fobbed off because my itching was on the backs of my hands and feet (mostly feet) and not palms as they were so insistant it would be!!!! NOT THE CASE i had a blood test 4 a raised bp at 36 weeks where they realised i infact DID have Obstetric Cholestasis and was induced straight away

also please take note...........
new studys are showing that Obstetric Cholestasis does not infact cause stillbirth and the junior dr was going 2 send me home!!! but then said they wanted 2 do fetal monitering 2 daily "just incase" i was like UHHH NO, if theres NO risk as u say why the fu*k would you want 2 moniter my baby???????? so i demanded 2 see the senior consultant, so off toddled the jr doc and guess wat????? emergency induction!!!!

NEVER GET FOBBED OFF IF YOU HAVE THIS CONDITION BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY X

thanx for ur concern...i really appreciate this...anyone can have dry skin and it may be confusing...i have dry skin too...

I'll be 14 weeks tomorrow, so am fairly convinced its too early for OC to show up, but my feet and the palms of my hands have been driving me mad all week. After reading some of the posts above think i will get checked out :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->