Plus size and pregnant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by RedBreeze5, Apr 14, 2009.

1. RedBreeze5

RedBreeze5 2nd Trimester

Hello, I am 15 weeks and new on the block! I can't seem to find any threads for the plus size ladies. If there are any that I overlooked please direct me to them.

Right now my main concern is I am not showing nor have I ganed any pounds. I would also like tips from other plus size and pregnant ladies ion how to keep my pregnancy healthy and happy.

Best Wishes to everyone! :dance:

2. starah

starah Well-Known Member

3. kaygeebee

kaygeebee Mum & Cautiously Pregnant

We have a few threads that pop up when one of us has a question!

I'm a size 22, and started to show at about 16 weeks - I'm now showing properly at 20 weeks, but I'm pretty sure to some people I will just look fat as the bump isn't defined. (I am also lucky to be carying out front - you could be carrying further back in which case you may not show until a bit later)

As for not gaining pounds - don't worry. Us plus size ladies shouldn't put on as many pounds as the ladies at an ideal weight in any case, and most of your weight goes on between 20 - 28 weeks from what I've heard.

4. Vici

Vici Mum to a LTTC princess!!

Hi there and welcome, i'm a plus sized gal, there are def a few of us. Don't worry about not putting on weight, seems most of us don't in the early days. I am now 21 weeks and def showing, could have def got away with it until I was about 17 weeks :)

5. Sam_Star

Sam_Star Mummy to a Battle Maiden

Hello hun im 21 weeks and a size 20 and barely showing (except laying down lol) it gets me really down but i'm trying my best to cut out the really bad food so i know im doing best for my baba at least xx

6. NewlywedTTC

NewlywedTTC Well-Known Member

I was a size 24 pre pregnancy and am 5'7. At my 12 week appt I lost 4 pounds and at my 16 wk appointment I gained 2. I am now 17 weeks but not quite showing. Although clothes are tighter and I just ordered my first maternity clothes. I haven't felt baby yet. Actually, I think I may have today but I'm not sure. It's my first

7. cs22

cs22 Mum and ttc# 2

I was a uk size 14 - 16 before i got pregnant. I started showing i think at about 20 weeks.

8. djgirl1976

djgirl1976 Expecting our 1st

I'm a 16. I have a little bump, but not obvious to anyone else but DH yet. I had gained 6 pounds at my last visit on Friday. None before that. I was a little put off by it, but Dr. didn't say anything and nurse said..."well, you're tall, and you're pregnant..." lol...sounds logical, I guess.

9. golcarlilly

golcarlilly Proud mum of 2

I am a 14/16, I think when ladies are really skinny it shows so soon cos there is nowhere to hide LOL I look at some pics of 'skinny minnies' and their bumps just jut out from nowhere and I am sure it must be harder to carry the baby too! I am now glad for my wide child-bearing hips cos I think it helps to support the weight of the baby a bit too.

I have so far gained 12 pounds and although I do look pg in some outfits I could still potentially pass for just being 'a bit fat' sometimes!!

10. NuttyJester

NuttyJester Brand new little boy! :o)

I've lost a stone due to m/s. Sort of glad I'm not a skinny chick as I probably couldn't have stood to lose that much. So, I'm showing, but only in OH's eyes as have been pretty much house bound for 8 weeks now, and so haven't benefitted from showing off the new slimmer me! The bump's there, but to anyone else it just still looks like I've lost weight!

11. elley_baby248

elley_baby248 Mummy to Ben and Pregnant

I'm a size 20ish and started to show at about 18weeks but now at 25weeks i'm def showing and it's gone from looking just like i'd ate a bit to much to being a definate am pregnant belly.

Is it just me or do some of you feel as though your missing out on bits of being pregnant that smaller woman get like being able to see your belly move etc? I'm worried i'm never gonna see a little foot or hand sticking out or be able to feel them through my belly and things like that because of my size.

12. claire23

claire23 Well-Known Member

Hi girls :hi: sorry I am not supposed to be in your thread. :nope:
    Well, I am size 8, and I don't think I have that many advantages because I am small (the only one I can think of is being able to hear baby's hb on doppler from week 10). I am almost 15 weeks, my tummy is flat, there is no even a tiny tiniest bump! I thought that by being so small I would be able to have at least some sort of bump by now! I am wearing my normal jeans and clothes. My midwife says that I will probably start showing only when I am 30 weeks!
    :hug:

13. kaygeebee

kaygeebee Mum & Cautiously Pregnant

I do worry that it will take ages for hubby to be able to feel anything because my fat will cushion the movements. :hissy: I also don't think I will see my belly move. :cry: so no - it's not just you.

14. elley_baby248

elley_baby248 Mummy to Ben and Pregnant

I was worried about OH not being able to feel him move around but he has and quite easily as my kicks are still really low down so that was on worry out the way i just want to see my tummy move like everyone else seems too!

15. louise1988

louise1988 Well-Known Member

iam a size 22 and 17+5 weeks preg and am worried bout not seein he/she move. i want to have a lovely big bump but dont no i carry most my weight on my legs and bum but still got a fatish belly i wish i was smaller so i can c a bump. x

16. Pippin

Pippin Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum

Hey hon I'm over weight and amazonian like :rofl: and I have a BMI of 34. I'm a size 22 and nearly 6 foot tall. I'm 21 weeks and this is my first and I'm just showing and I mean just, I don't think a stranger would notice really unless I make it obvious and wear the right top. I felt movements from very early about 14 weeks and proper kicks and flips at 18 weeks. I'm very grateful for this and it has made up for not having a bump. I have put on about 8-10lbs :blush: which I shouldn't really have done as I should only put on 15lb in total, the fact you haven't put on any is great try and keep it that way. I eat too much sugar and I know that but try not to worry to much about the weight side.

17. Pippin

Oh and I heard the heartbeat at 11 weeks and hubby has felt lots of movements including little ones like the arm/hand moving around the wall of the uterus so don't worry about not seeing or feeling movements as you will. Remember you belly will grow LOTS in the end!! It may just take a few more weeks for us.

18. lisa_33

lisa_33 Well-Known Member

hey hun, i am a plus size to....i am not sure how much weight i have put on...my dh is the only one that really notices my expanding bump. infact last night my mum asked if my tummy was getting bigger, as she hasnt noticed...then added she has noticed i have got wider!! haha made me feel great! i have beeb feeling movements for a while, and have seen my tummy move a few times, dh has only managed to feel them a few times. thankfully my scans have been really clear. must admit tho i feel rubbish and breathless alot, and find it much tougher being pregnant than when i was slimmer when i had my other 2 xxx

19. TheNewWife

TheNewWife In love with my girls

I have been really frustrated with my lack of bump! I have gained 20+ (oops) but all of it seems to be fat ... so I look like a phony in maternity clothes and I look ridiculously fat in regular clothes. Either way, I don't look pregnant. I want to look pregnant !!! :hissy:

My stomach is definitely sticking out more, just in the same lumpy shape as before. Everyone promises me that it will come ...

20. Pippin

Aww hon don't worry it will come I promise. We put on weight because we tried so hard to lose it before we got pregnant. We'll lose it again. :hugs: