Plus size Home Birth!

bunnyg82

Mum to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
Hey ladies,

well for those bigger mamas to be, I thought I'd let you know about my midwife appointment today.

I always assumed from things I had heard before that being a plus size girl, I wouldn't even get the option of a home birth.

Well I had the final bit of my booking in appointment today and my midwife asked me where I planned to give birth (arghh! I had been trying not to think about that bit :haha:) anyway, I hesitated and she went on to say that because of it being my first birth she would recommend hospital but that it was up to me. I then said to her that I assumed I wouldn't be able to have one cos of my BMI (which was 48 at booking :dohh:) and she said that yes, my BMI means I am classed as a higher risk pregnancy but that if there were any problems they would just transfer me to the hospital!

So, now I have that to think about! I think I am more likely to go for hospital as hubby doesn't seem too keen on the idea of a homebirth but at least I can have a proper think about this and have a proper choice.

I thought that cos I was gonna have consultant care that it meant I would be constantly monitored at hospital and not able to move around much. But at least now I know I have the option of homebirth, then I will a least be able to have an active birth at the hospital and possibly even a waterbirth.

I am so pleased!! So I thought it might be worth sharing :) xx

That is exciting news! I am also hoping for a home birth with transfer to the hospital only if needed! So far my hubby has been hesitent but he seems to be coming around!

One book I really enjoyed is Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth. It was nice getting to read various birth experiences including plenty of home births (in the first half of the book). The second half of the book was informative but I had to take ignore a lot of the stats as they are based on the US.

:wohoo: I'm so glad you got a choice!!! Well done hun, now it's you're time to think about it!!! xxx

Alot of women go with the home birth, but I am a worry wart. I would be too worried something would go wrong and I wouldn't make it to the hospital in time. I think this must be even more daunting with your first as you don't know how long you will labour for, if your will full dilate, if you need medication etc etc.
I had a birthing room with my own shower etc and I had hubby and 2 girlfriends of mine in there with me, and I was resricted to the bed, I was walking around, having a shower and doing what I wanted to do. I felt safer being in a hospital. I have 3 sons and now pregnant again, you would think I would be an old hand at it, but the same concerns are still there and we will hove our beans in a hospital.

Home birth, hospital birth all comes down to personal choice, good luck with what ever you decide.

Oooh yeah, I heard about this book as I watched something with Davina McCall and she recommended it. I might get it! I really want as natural birth as possible and today is the first time I have really believed it could actually happen, even if that doesn't mean having it at home :) x

I'm so happy for you! You must be relieved now that you know you have a choice. :)

Hi,

I'm glad your able to get the home birth if you want it.

I'm planning on a home waterbirth too, going in to hospital is something i have always been relucant to do, i hate hospitals. My OH will suport me no matter what i decide as its me that has to go through the birth at end of the day. Satisically home births are much safer because there are les interventions then hospital, women tend to be more relaxed & you get 2 midwifes tending just to you & baby where as in hospital you just tend to be left.

I havent had a child yet so in a way i cant comment on most stuff but my sisters have had nemourous children & i helped my sister find info on homebirths when she had her last one. She found that the website https://www.homebirth.org.uk/ to be most helpful with lots of information & stories about various home births.

Unforutnatly my sister couldnt have the home birth in the end as my nephew was born with his bowels on the outside of his body & had to be taken straight to SCBU as soon as he was born.

Wishing you a happy & healthy preganancy & birth.

Glad you can plan the birth you want, I have heard that the midwife should support whatever decision you make and that they should only stray from your birthplan if necessary, but I think sometimes (I know I'm guilty of this!) I just go with what other people say is best rather than sticking to my guns! I'd really like a waterbirth, but think it would be better for me in the hospital as I'll probably be a worrier and I'll definitely want to know I have access to drugs IMMEADIATELY if I want them LOL!!! (Plus I think if you have a waterbirth you can only have the gas & air, and I want to have as many options as poss!!!)

i'm overweight and have had three amazing midwife attended home births. weight should not be an issue at all in if you want to have a natural birth. the most important thing is making sure that you are eating healthy, getting out in the fresh air lots and keeping things like your blood sugar even and your blood pressure at a good place. these are issues for any woman who is pregnant..not just woman who are "plus sized"

Sorry for sounding dumb, but what problems would someone plus size have? I thought that there was increased issues during pregnancy, but didn't realize the actual birth would be different. Does anyone mind sharing what those risks are, just for curiosity sake?

I think blood pressure is one of the big ones...Not overly sure of the others, maybe more at risk to diabetes, which can cause a higher birth weight

Sorry for sounding dumb, but what problems would someone plus size have? I thought that there was increased issues during pregnancy, but didn't realize the actual birth would be different. Does anyone mind sharing what those risks are, just for curiosity sake?

i think that the medical assumption is that "bigger" woman are less healthy which i know for a fact isn't true. there are many skinny folks who are very unwell, and i have know many average sized woman ho had many MORE pregnancy/birth issues than woman who were plus-sized. that said, like the previous poster said, things like gestational diabetes, pre-eclapsia and the likes can be a higher risk for pregnant woman who are overweight, or so they say.

This was exciting to know. As I am a 14-16 U.S. size and that is sorta plus. But I may be in the same spot as you my MW said because this is my first pregnancy the hospital would be best.. so hey good to know there are options.

Oh fantastic news!

When I booked in with my mw with Nathan (such a long time ago now:haha:) they point blank said no home birth to me as my BMI was 40. Was just their rules I guess....plus I couldnt have a water birth at hospital either (I think they had a weight limit incase you needed helped out quickly:blush:) so I would check about the waterbirth part!

I think I would have loved a home birth but I developed diabetes (it runs in my family!) so the docs scared me saying he would be over 10lb and I would need to have an epidural and assisted birth...I went into labour naturally was doing fine on gas and air but because they had scared me I got an epidural asap (which didnt really work/kept wearing off) so felt it all and did it myself.
Damn sure it would have been a much better experience at home but I had to be wired to a michine for babys sake so couldnt really not.

I hope you get the birth you want and as you said you can take your time to think about it.....well not too long!

Emma,.xx

I am so happy for you. Sound like you have had a wonderful experience. I have a lower bmi than you and feel like I'm being treated like a second class citizen. I have been told that I can't birth in the mid wife led unit which is in the hospital as pretty much I'm too fat!! I'm size 18. I really want an active birth I've read up all about it and it's what my partner and I want. I came home from my appointment in tears yesterday and just feel totally depressed at the moment. The consultant sent me to see the anesthestist so they could check back etc before I go into labour " incase I need drugs". But she, although being nice about it pretty much told be that I couldn't have a normal vaginal birth cause of my weight that I should have an epidural done straight away so that I could have it topped up when I needed the section.
I know I'm at higher risk I understand that I might end up having a longer labour and I would never risk my sons health if he became distressed I of course would agree to a section but surely surgery shouldn't be the first option!! I might be heavier but I'm healthy I've put on very little if any weight throughout in fact I'm 32 weeks and still able to wear my normal jeans!! I've not drank alcohol I don't smoke I eat lots of fruit and veg I don't touch liver soft cheese or anything that could hurt my boy. If I've had back ache I have had a bath no pain relief don't even have heartburn. My bp is text book as us his heartrate my glucose levels and iron levels are perfect but still I'm not allowed to carry my own notes and I noted they have a big orange at risk sticker on them. What should be an amazing time is turning into the worst experience of my life.

Sarahni : They cannot refuse you a homebirth (as long as you're in the UK), it's your right to birth how you like. You also have to give consent for ANY medical procedure. If you're determined to have a natural/home birth then go for it. Just tell them that's what you're doing. Some women have found it helpful to talk to the head of midwifery. And a higher risk is just that - a RISK. You're more likely to have all those interventions if you're not able to move around etc.
Good luck.
Ceri xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"