Plus size ladies?

I just read through all of these posts and I can't believe there are so many people here in the same boat as me, so I thought I'd share my story.

I've struggled with my weight my entire life due to a sluggish thyroid. I've been on the medication Synthroid since I was 12 years old and while it keeps me from gaining weight, it doesn't help me lose it.

When I got pregnant with my first baby, I weighed 250lb at 5'10" and wore a US size 24. When I gave birth, I weighed 274lb, and lost 30lb as a result of giving birth. So, I ended up relatively close to where I started. Five months later, my baby went to heaven in her sleep. The depression of losing her left me doing nothing but sleeping and eating. Its been 3 years, but I haven't tried to lose the weight. It just wasn't a priority to me. When I got pregnant this time, I weighed 285lb. At my last doctor's appointment, which was over a month ago, I weighed 292. The last six weeks or so, I've gone through a period of having absolutely no appetite. I've never had morning sickness as far as being nauseated, even last time, but this is what I get instead. I would go 2 or 3 days without eating anything because I just didn't want to eat. I haven't weighed myself in the last week, but the last time I did weigh, the scale said 278.

I really don't want to gain any more weight, but I know it will end up happening. I just hope I can avoid going over 300lb. That's kind of a scary milestone, especially when I'm already at the heaviest I've ever been. I've been trying to be active and go for walks, but I'm afraid it wont be enough. But I do know that my last pregnancy, in spite of my weight, I had fewer complications that most normal weight women do.

Oh some of these posts are awful- I wonder whether smokers/drinkers etc get the same treatment. I doubt it- I knew someone who was smoking 40 a day the medical practitioners were supportive and tried to help!!!

I'm 5'10 and a size 18. I had a BMI of 34 and am high risk due to essential hypertension (since age 17 when I was a skinny minnie!) and type 1 diabetes since age 10.

I was weighed at my first appointment and I have NOT been weighed once since. My BMI was mentioned on booking and initial scans weren't so good as thinner women but now they are amazing. I felt LO from about 18 weeks and could see him kicking from about 21 weeks. OH also felt for the first time at 21 weeks.

I am so sorry that so many of you have had hideous appointments and have been made to feel bad- its inexcusable. Don't worry about scans to make you all feel better I have them once a fortnight!! ARGH!! I am always terrified and yes initially I could feel consultants attempting to negotiate my food-baby to try and get a good picture of human baby but they never mentioned anything. The scan pics do say "obstruction by raised BMI" and that makes me feel sad but there is nothing I can do now except try and get on with nurturing my LO. Chin up ladies I am sure you are all radiant and beautiful! I've had a super round bump since 18 weeks fully clothed ;) (but only due to those bands you wear to keep on wearing your normal trousers! naked my baby bump has displaced my poor food-bump and I'm a little wonky looking..... oh well.... as long as LO is doing well I guess I'll have to put up with it!!

big hugs to you all and wishes of happy and healthy pregnancies:hugs:

I'm a size 22/24 - but my body frame is such that I can carry a lot more actual weight than I look - meaning my BMI is around 45 (don't flame me). I had lost three stones to get pregnant - but then hit a run of miscarriages, and massive massive depression my GP refused to treat unless I consented to get a coil fitted and give up trying for a child - and probably regained a lot of the weight I'd put on (but hell, if chocolate got me through those dark days - the medical profession sure as heck didn't).

Hence I'm officially classed as a walking liability where pregnancy is concerned. Thankfully everyone I've come across so far has done their best to maintain a "ok, you're here now - let's do what we do with what we've got" and not made me feel too dreadful. The hospital consultant after the scan made me feel a little bad telling me I had to have all these glucose tests and see the anesthetist in advance so they could look at my spine in advance in case I need an epidural - but considering in the past I've been yelled at by doctors over my weight (I'd only gone in there for a smear test!) - so far they've been better than expected.

Still feel bad since my bump's appeared and just pushed my spare tyre upwards so I look like an utter freak of a michelin man though.

I have read through some of the posts and infuriates me that people have the nerve to judge just because of our body size
I was a size 6 my whole life untill my last pregnancy, I gained 50lbs during the pregnancy and never lost an oz after ( I actually gain a bit). I now a size 16..
I actually like myself better now. Sure, I look in the mirror and see a cubby women but I also see my curves as a badge.
I don't need to be a stick to be happy, or a rock hard tummy to feel good about myself..
Like everybody else I hate wearing a bathing suit and trying on clothing in a store makes me sudder. BUT
I love food !!
It was drilled into me from friends, family, media ect that I had to be a certian size to be "pretty"..
I have learnt that at the end of the day, who cares what the scale says.. will my children look back and say.. that was my momma who weighed 200lbs.. no, it will be.. remembering baking cookies ( the high fat kind) family meals together ( not ones with mom picking at her plate because she was worried about the calorie intake) a grumpy mom because she was hungry.
Going for ice cream on a hot summers day ect..
Just because I am not 100 lbs doesn't mean I can't do the things I like to do.. Hubby and I are avid campers and hikers which we do as often as possible.. I enjoy the camping food.. s'mors, hot dogs ect...
I agree that we have to be healthy, but who says 100lbs is healthy for me ??
Lets hold our double chins up high and teach the world that beautiful women aren't always a size 0 ( Look at Marilyn Monroe, she was a size 16 and to this day she is a icon):hugs:

I am about to go shopping for a coat, some jeans, undies and some leggings as I have aquired a bump over night, be on stand by for a tantrum later!

I officially love this thread and all us beautiful ladies on it

Future... i love your post it just put the biggest smile on my face and it is all sooo true :) .... hope all you ladies are doing well and havent any more bad experiences :) i have gained yet another few pound and am now well into the 19 stone category :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->