Plus Sized Moms

MoldyVoldy

Khaleesi
Reaction score
Any plus size women? I was told I am automatically considered high risk and will have more scans (which I don't necessarily want) and stress tests later on. Anyone else been told this?

Forget it. I really heavy. I'm thankful that I go to practitioners who don't give me all the "doom and gloom" over my weight. I wouldn't tolerate it. I have several issues (PCOS and hypothyroidism, which caused my weight issue in the first place, along with a naturally-treated autoimmune disorder) and am not considered high risk. All of my pregnancies have been 2-12 months apart, too. I've had nothing but perfect pregnancies, easy (although long) labors and vaginal deliveries, with the last 3 being pain relief-free as well.

Seriously, I'd find a different practitioner if it was your practitioner that told you this. There are plenty who won't make a big deal over your weight.

Forget it. I really heavy. I'm thankful that I go to practitioners who don't give me all the "doom and gloom" over my weight. I wouldn't tolerate it. I have several issues (PCOS and hypothyroidism, which caused my weight issue in the first place, along with a naturally-treated autoimmune disorder) and am not considered high risk. All of my pregnancies have been 2-12 months apart, too. I've had nothing but perfect pregnancies, easy (although long) labors and vaginal deliveries, with the last 3 being pain relief-free as well.

Seriously, I'd find a different practitioner if it was your practitioner that told you this. There are plenty who won't make a big deal over your weight.

This was the kind of response I thought i'd get. I am beyond annoyed. Thank you for your input. I'm going to try to look for a new dr. It's hard because of my insurance. :nope:

Im not big big but i am 2 stone overweight and a size 12/14 i am actually dreading my scans etc incase they make me feel bad about the fact i didnt loose weight last time. Ive actually tried all sorts and i am active! Just clearly not designed to be petite. Ive heard of it giving you more tisks like diabetes etc xx

My doctors haven't made a big deal of it at all so far. I'm about 40 pounds (3 stone) overweight and was still told to gain about 25 pounds. I'm only considered high risk because of my age and previous miscarriage.

I'm most definitely overweight but luckily the most my doctor has said to me is to watch what I eat (tried telling me I couldn't eat any of the things I had found in first tri that I could actually keep down because they were so carby - HA!) and to walk at least 30 minutes a day pretty much every day. I know both of those things were in an effort to get me to not put on a ton but I've pretty much ignored them and everything is going well. I had some blood tests for clotting factors to see if I'd need to be deemed high risk due to family issues but that's the only time that phrase has ever even come up. Best of luck finding a new practice or making your current one a little less weight worried, although I'd love to have more scans! :)

plus sized mum here but in the UK so maybe things are different?

I got an extra scan with my last pregnancy and will do so again this time, it's just one extra scan and it's at 36 weeks so right towards the end. Because my bmi is over 35 I had to have the glucose tolerance test but apart from that the rest of my care has been the same.

My bmi was 30-31 with my 1st. Had nothing extra except a snarky comment on my 12w scan saying view difficult due to excessive visceral fat. I was hardly massive though, just a grumpy scan lady I think.

My bmi is now 21-22 so they'll have to find other excuses.. oh, hang on my age :dohh: can't win lol x

plus sized mum here but in the UK so maybe things are different?

I got an extra scan with my last pregnancy and will do so again this time, it's just one extra scan and it's at 36 weeks so right towards the end. Because my bmi is over 35 I had to have the glucose tolerance test but apart from that the rest of my care has been the same.
Seems to be different over here :( That's so odd to me.

My bmi was 30-31 with my 1st. Had nothing extra except a snarky comment on my 12w scan saying view difficult due to excessive visceral fat. I was hardly massive though, just a grumpy scan lady I think.

My bmi is now 21-22 so they'll have to find other excuses.. oh, hang on my age :dohh: can't win lol x
lmao Dan-o :(

With my first my hospital made a very big deal over it. I was high risk so had to have extra hospital appointments, had to see consultants instead of midwives, was enrolled in a study without being asked, told I had to have an epidural (I was young and went along with it) and ended up with a really heavily managed birth as a result. It's one of the main reasons I've purposely looked for a different hospital this time.
So far at my booking appointment I was offered a weight management program and told I'll need extra growth scans. That I don't really mind. I had so much go wrong last pregnancy (unrelated to weight) that I got used to being called in for extra scans.

I'm about very overweight and I'm in the US. My dr has never made an issue of my weight and has just said I need to keep my weight gain to a minimum if possible. I have always had a glucose tolerance test but it's standard practice at my clinic so it's not because of my weight. And for the most part, I have done okay. I've never had GD, my labors are normal (12-19 hours), and I have kept my weight gain lower-I put on 20lb with DS and again with DD. I am only up about 8lb with this pg so far too and I'm nearly halfway so I'm happy with that.

I will say that I'm considered high risk but it's because I have a clotting disorder and a history of recurrent miscarriage, not my weight.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone.

With my first my hospital made a very big deal over it. I was high risk so had to have extra hospital appointments, had to see consultants instead of midwives, was enrolled in a study without being asked, told I had to have an epidural (I was young and went along with it) and ended up with a really heavily managed birth as a result. It's one of the main reasons I've purposely looked for a different hospital this time.
So far at my booking appointment I was offered a weight management program and told I'll need extra growth scans. That I don't really mind. I had so much go wrong last pregnancy (unrelated to weight) that I got used to being called in for extra scans.
I am worried about this hospital, to be honest. It isn't my first choice but the hospital I have to use. I'm feeling a bit down actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->