Poll - how do you make yours?!? (bottles up!)

My LO is only 11 days old so I'm still experimenting. At first I did the premake, fridge and microwave option but found I was wasting lots of formula or not making enough bottles as he's an unpredictable feeder and I've been trying to breastfeed as well... So the past few days I've filled bottles with boiled water and left them to cool to room temp on the side and added the formula after (LO isn't fussy what temp he has his milk). This option seems easier for us. I think it's a personal choice and as long as your not leaving milk out for hours and hours then feeding and LO is tolerating it then it's upto the individual!

Hey i personaly never microwave. ( i did like 3 times with breastmilk) but i feel microwaving breastmilk alredy looses nutrience so if u microwave formula. and that looses nutrience what exactly will u be left with lol . thats just my opinion but i dont mind others who do it my friend prefered i microwaved her babys bottles when i watched him so i did it how she wantd.

what i do.

Put kettle on. When boiled put it in flask.

When needed. Pour 6 ounces of boiling water in a bottle.
6 spoons of leveled formula.
Lid on shake shake shake.
Then cool the bottle in a cold container.
Done

xx

UK current guidelines are for a fresh bottle each time when needed - no storing etc.

If you want a 6 oz feed then this is the quickest way to make a fresh feed to the correct standards....

-pour 2oz freshly just boiled water from kettle into a bottle
-add 6 scoops
-add 4 oz cooled boiled water

this makes a 6oz bottle to the correct temperature, and it is ready to go in the time it takes the kettle to boil:flower:

i was wondering if this would work also as you say how my mum used to do it for me. but i wondered will the scoops not add volume to the 2 ounce so when u add the 4 ounces you may not add enough? so i was thinking maybe measuring equal 4 ounces into another bottle first before ppouring into the other botle to make sure it for sure is 4 ounces :)

Question for ladies who add formula to room temp water.

Do you find that the powder is harder to mix when the water is cooler? Do you ever get clumps or blocked teats? x

Do you find that the powder is harder to mix when the water is cooler? Do you ever get clumps or blocked teats? x

Not really. It doesn't auto dissolve like it does with hot so when you move to large quantity bottles (7oz upwards) it can be awkward as you might need to shake some powder in before you can add the rest as it sits on top of the water so no space if that makes sense? Also we did find the first stage teats blocked this time round, but never did with our son and was same range bottles etc (same range teats too but new rather than reused from him). I think that was more from the fact we realised after we needed a new kettle as the fliter was a bit buggered.

It just needs a jolly good shake, but even then it is SO much easier and less traumatic for babe doing it that way as it can be ready in a minute rather than havign to wait for heating/cooling etc. Made night feeds easier and baby settled quicker too as we had teh bottle ready and in their mouths before they had a chance to get worked up and ask for it you know? xx

I chose option two but instead of using the microwave which is very occasionally I have a bottle warmer so we mix of formula with boiled water, usually just one feed or one big bottle at a time then once cool we place it in the fridge then warm in the bottle warmer
when we go out we take freshly made bottle so it stays piping hot even though the guidelines tell you take a cold bottle along. We have been using hot boiled water as it kills all the germs rather than heat it to room temp with pre made cold water as it attracts bacteria so yeah the midwife suggested mixing formula with boiled water is good as it kills the bugs and dissolves the formula powder quickly :)

Other!

I use cooled boiled water, add formula, leave to cool, put in the fridge then heat up when needed :)

UK current guidelines are for a fresh bottle each time when needed - no storing etc.

If you want a 6 oz feed then this is the quickest way to make a fresh feed to the correct standards....

-pour 2oz freshly just boiled water from kettle into a bottle
-add 6 scoops
-add 4 oz cooled boiled water

this makes a 6oz bottle to the correct temperature, and it is ready to go in the time it takes the kettle to boil:flower:

This is what we do but just a different number of scoops. We put the required amount of powder into the bottle, add a third of the required amount of water using freshly boiled water, then shake to dissolve the powder. We then top it up to the correct amount using cooled boiled water that we store in a sterilized bottle in the fridge. It kills the nasty things living in the powder that can give your baby food poisoning and produces a freshly made bottle that is the right temperature.

It is really important that the water that hits the powder is at least 70C in temperature to make sure it kills off the nasty things that lurk in the powder (see the World Health Organisation's website for further details). It is extremely rare but babies have died because the milk powder was added to water that is not hot enough.
hey i was told never to put the powder first. always the water first so you can make sure the volume is right something like that :shrug:

From reading this tread I am wondering....

Boiled water + formula is bad because it kills nutrients
Boiled water with added cold water + formula is bad because of the risk not all bacteria being killed.

I have always just added freshly boiled water into the bottle, then added formula to be cooled in a bowl of cold water. She is gaining weight, sleeping well and seems like a happy baby. I dont think I need to change anything but STILL I now got this little voice in my head telling me I should be worried that she might be missing vital nutriants because the hot water might scold it away....BAH. There is no "right" way really?
? I have no clue were your getting boiled water plus formula is bad lol :shrug:

it kills nutrience they say when u use a microwave. you are doing it the perfect right way to do with guidlines etc good on u if u make it fresh every time lol i did my husband does but i did make 3 bottles in one go yesturday coz i was tired lol but ignore how others do it u said shes gaining etc ur way is great and yes there is a right way really . for example if u made it in ice cold water left it on the side for hours. thats a wrong way lol not to be padantic or whatever lol :hugs::haha:

Why don't you all buy a jug for the fridge (for those of you that boil and cool) boil lots of water, fill it up, put it in the fridge and wollah, water on hand :D

Because this won't kill The bacteria in the powder.

That's the whole point of boiling the water. It's not about water quality in developed worlds it's about the powder being contaminated.

Well don't leave your formula in a contaminate place? :
:haha::hugs:

Thought I would bump up this thread as so many new ladies have joined us here recently xx

thanks for bumping ive just joined lol its intresting reading what other people do some of it makes me cringe , there are so many different rules and guidlines that all of us of heard from medical proffesionals etc. were all tryna do the right thing lol but it can be confusing

I boil the kettle in the morning, fill up 3 9oz bottles with cooled boiled water and store at room temperature in sealed steralised bottles.

Each time she wants a feed i use 5oz of the cooled water, add 5 scoops and then heat in bottle warmer. Then throw away any unused feeds after 2hrs.

From what i am reading this is not a good idea due to the bacteria in the formula?

I am new to this as I EBF until about 12wk then combi fed for a week, then now EFF as i have been put on tablets and i am not comfortable with the research about it being in breast milk.
" throw away any unused feeds after 2 hours" if the bottle teat has touched her mouth discard after 1 hour. 2 hour rule only applys when she hasnt drank any of it. but you said unuesed so just checking incase u ment not finished lol:hugs:

i sterilise the bottles and pour boiled water into them. i then leave them at room temperature and add the formula when needed. DD doesnt need her milk heating up either.

Hmm, I just boil the water, fill the bottles with boiling water and add the powder when he wants a bottle so the water is usually room temp when the powder is added. I have only been bottle feeding though for 3 weeks and would not have felt comfortable doing this when he was a newborn.

This thread has made me reconsider. I will now make every bottle fresh but use cartons for the night feed and if we are out.

With my first son I used to make up all the bottles first thing in the morning, stick them in the fridge while they were still hot and then he would have them straight from the fridge. He is fine but I guess we were lucky. The guidelines were very different 9 years ago.

No it mixes fine and also I find it is smoother, when it is mixed with warm water I find it goes really bubbly.

Hmm, I just boil the water, fill the bottles with boiling water and add the powder when he wants a bottle so the water is usually room temp when the powder is added. I have only been bottle feeding though for 3 weeks and would not have felt comfortable doing this when he was a newborn.

This thread has made me reconsider. I will now make every bottle fresh but use cartons for the night feed and if we are out.

With my first son I used to make up all the bottles first thing in the morning, stick them in the fridge while they were still hot and then he would have them straight from the fridge. He is fine but I guess we were lucky. The guidelines were very different 9 years ago.

its good this thread has made you think abotu how you do it i was gonna put it in the fridge hot too but i found out its a huge nono and can cause alot of issues with the milk getting bacteria etc what i find intresting is even though the guildines have changed and people are fully aware your not supposed to make bottles with room temp water because it is a serious health risk people will stll say " ohwell they did it years ago and i was fine" its like well thats great but wouldnt u be pleased that new research has shown you away thats even safer than the way u were doing it? , i would change my ways with the guildlines :) i also use a carton for the night feed as she is usualy to hungry to wait!:hugs:

Tap water, formula, microwave, swirl, feed.
Wash bottle in hot, soapy water.
Repeat as needed.

Boil the kettle, leave for 30mins, make up a few bottles, rapid cool, leave in fridge! I use a jug of boiling water to warm it up with.

The formula we are using isn't meant to be mixed into water any hotter than 50C. so we have a container with cooled boiled water and mix that with freshly boiled water and then add the powder.

When I am on holiday at my parents in Austria I use tab water at the right temperature as it comes right out the mountains - as good as shop bought mineral water.

Right so what I have been doing since last reading this thread is, putting 3oz of boiling water cooled for half an hour in the bottle, adding 6 scoops of powder, mixing and then adding 3oz of cooled boiled water that has been in a steralised bottle in the fridge to that which equals the perfect temp for drinking and steralised formula. Do people think this is ok?

My 2 year old used to be on Neocate and the guidelines for that let you store made up bottles in the fridge. That had no milk in it though so the risk of Salmonella etc probably wasn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->