Poll - how do you make yours?!? (bottles up!)

In the morning I make up all my bottles for the day. Boil kettle leave for half an hour pour into bottles add formula and leave on the side and when needed I just boil the kettle add the bottle to a jug of the boiled water for couple mins and all done. I do the same for the night aswell. All my friends and family have done it this way for years and no problems

Im sorry I dont want to sound harsh but they way you are making your baby's bottles up is dangerous and could potentially make your baby very ill! Once the formula has been added to the water it needs to be thrown away after a MAXIMUM of 2 hours and alot of HCPs are avtuallt suggesting a 1 hour maximum. Made up formula is a perfeft breeding ground fo bacteria which can be very harmful especially on a baby's less developed immune system.

If you want to premake your bottles for the day all in one go then I suggest that after you have added the powder to the water and mixed, you cool the bottles down in a basin of cold water for 10 minutes and the store them in the fridge as opposed to just on the side. The cold temperature in the fridge will delay the growth of bacteria and provide a safe feed for your baby.

Just to clarify. The way you currently prepare feeds is not safe.

That's your opinion. I've taken advice from all the people closest too me who have all done exactly the same for many many years and not once did it cause their baby any problems. Others on here also do the same. Its down to personal choice

I do the same as Lavendel. Microwave tap water, add formula to the bottle, then add the water. Shake and feed. DD's doctor says it's fine, but I'm also in the States and have different regulations regarding boiling water and sterilizing.

That's your opinion. I've taken advice from all the people closest too me who have all done exactly the same for many many years and not once did it cause their baby any problems. Others on here also do the same. Its down to personal choice

Its not just my opinion it is FACT!

For the sake of your baby please consult your midwife or HV on this issue. They will most likely be as alarmed as me and insist that you use a safe method to make bottles up and show you how to do so.

Im not saying this to be horrible or put you down. Im just genuinely worried about you baby potentially getting very sick after drinking formula that has been left out on the side all day. X

And please let me know the others on here who do the same as you (i have not seen any) and I will give them the same advice!

If using boiled water kills all the bad bacteria, surely it will kill all the good bacteria too? I personally think people sometimes go a bit over the top with worrying about what 'could' happen.

I sterilise my bottles once a day, to make 6oz I use 3 1/2oz of fresh boiled water and 2 1/2oz of cold water from the fridge to get the correct temp, then add the formula. Or I use cooled boiled water, microwave for 30 secs then add formula.

However, I would not feed my baby with formula that has been left out for more than 2 hours. I would not drink milk that has not been refrigerated, so it's definitely not for bubs!

That's pretty gross, I wouldn't drink milk thats been out all day, nor feed it to my lo. How much harder would it really be to make the bottles, put them in the fridge, then feed? An extra two minutes to warm up? Bacteria can multiply rapidly, leaving them out is not worth the risk of your lo getting very ill or, heaven forbid, dying from contaminated formula.

We use bottled nursery water room temp and give it at whatever temp it is (either room temp if fresh or cold if premade).

In the morning I make up all my bottles for the day. Boil kettle leave for half an hour pour into bottles add formula and leave on the side and when needed I just boil the kettle add the bottle to a jug of the boiled water for couple mins and all done. I do the same for the night aswell. All my friends and family have done it this way for years and no problems

Im sorry I dont want to sound harsh but they way you are making your baby's bottles up is dangerous and could potentially make your baby very ill! Once the formula has been added to the water it needs to be thrown away after a MAXIMUM of 2 hours and alot of HCPs are avtuallt suggesting a 1 hour maximum. Made up formula is a perfeft breeding ground fo bacteria which can be very harmful especially on a baby's less developed immune system.

If you want to premake your bottles for the day all in one go then I suggest that after you have added the powder to the water and mixed, you cool the bottles down in a basin of cold water for 10 minutes and the store them in the fridge as opposed to just on the side. The cold temperature in the fridge will delay the growth of bacteria and provide a safe feed for your baby.

Not true at all! The directions on the formula say it can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. It's only one hour once used.

Not true at all! The directions on the formula say it can be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated. It's only one hour once used.

Yes but my point was this member was not refridgerating her baby's bottles, just leaving them ready made out on the side all day! I agree once prepared feeds can be stored in the fridge for upto 24 hours. Xxx

I boil the kettle fill the pre sterilized bottles with boiling water. And leave at room temp. When i need I put dry formula in and shake. Microwave for how ever long dep on microwave or if I'm going somewhere with no microwave I time it so I heat the bottle before I leave home to fairly hot and when iget there ( less then 20 mins) it's the perfect temp. And when using the microwave shake the crap out of it. I have a dry formula dispenser container and it's great.

I make them fresh each time with boiled water, add formula and then rapid cool in bowl of cold water. I also discard after 2 hours. This method is hard going for night feeds as she usually screams the house down in hunger but i don't want to risk her getting sick from bacteria doing it any other way.

I make them fresh each time with boiled water, add formula and then rapid cool in bowl of cold water. I also discard after 2 hours. This method is hard going for night feeds as she usually screams the house down in hunger but i don't want to risk her getting sick from bacteria doing it any other way.

For making night feeds from fresh maybe you could try this method that ive seen other ladies use:

First boil some water, allow it to cool before decanting into a jug and chilling in the fridge.

1. (for a 4oz bottle) Boil kettle and add 2oz of the water to a sterilized bottle.
2. Add 4 scoops of powder and mix.
3. In another sterilized bottle measure out 2oz of your chilled water from the fridge.
4. Add it to the hot formula and shake.
5. This should make a 4oz bottle that is just warm and reay to feed, although always check the temp before feeding. Xxx

I make the bottles up each night before I go to bed. I boil the kettle, let it cool down for half an hour, make the bottles up and then put them store them in the fridge until they are needed and then I use a bottle warmer to warm them up.

I boil kettle, add to bottles and than just leave till needed (no more than 24hrs). When she wants one I dont warm it up I just add powder x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->