Poor Kids on BBC1

i watched this last night it made me feel really sad.

the tv they had in one of the houses they have to put £1 in the back of it to actually be able to watch it, shops that give credit are the only way some family can afford normal furniture that some including myself take for grantage (sp).:cry:.

but i have to agree, they may have very little money but their is no excuse for the state of the houses on there, when the little boy sam was in the bathroom the piles of clothes all over the floor was shocking and the state of the carpet, if they cant afford a hoover why not just pick the big bits of rubbish up and sweep the rest :shrug:.

what really gets me though is i understand we have to send foreign aid abroad, but how can the goverment send so much money when there are families living in housing conditions like that in their own country, why not sort out problems here and send whatevers left abroad :shrug:. that was my first thought when i saw the little girls living in them tower blocks full of damp!.

this programme really made me feel bad about choosing a exspensive pram and carseat for LO, when the little boy sam can't even have nice school trousers :cry::cry:.

xx

Know the expression "Give a man to fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life"?

We have too much fish giving and not enough fish teaching. I am not against social assistance programs, but they should be a temporary measure to help someone get on their feet, not an easy way to stay off of your feet for life.

Know the expression "Give a man to fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life"?

We have too much fish giving and not enough fish teaching. I am not against social assistance programs, but they should be a temporary measure to help someone get on their feet, not an easy way to stay off of your feet for life.

Totally agree!! Unless there is a genuine reason why someone cant work (medical reason/they are a stay at home carer for someone etc), then they should at least be trying to find work. I know MOST people want to work but they just cant find any, which is out of their hands, if there are no jobs thats not their fault.

What DOES annoy me though is people who WONT work, because they will be better off not. I fume when I read things in the paper about people being given houses and thousands a month in benefits, and when asked why they dont work, they say "why would I when I can claim?" and saying how soft our country is.... and they are right!

I know these people are the monority, but what kind of example does it set to their kids when their parents have no work ethic and send the message that you are better off not working and claiming from the state?

xx

I agree with fish giving and teaching to fish! My oh new nothing about bugeting money because he had afew grand in the bank everymonth he was spending over his wages without even knowing about it, his parents never taught him because they had/have enough money to just buy whatever they want where as i was taught about money because my parents where on a low income/no income.

I totally agree with some people being on benefits as every circumstance is different, my sister is on benefits because she split from her very violent partner and has one child already and one on the way, but this lady on the TV has blatantly taken the p*ss !

At the end of the day unfortunately I blame the government for giving as much money as they do - a lot of people on benefits say they will be worse off working which is true. If the government lowered how much they give to these people they would have to go out and find work, it's too much of an easy option to just claim benefits !

I totally agree with some people being on benefits as every circumstance is different, my sister is on benefits because she split from her very violent partner and has one child already and one on the way, but this lady on the TV has blatantly taken the p*ss !

At the end of the day unfortunately I blame the government for giving as much money as they do - a lot of people on benefits say they will be worse off working which is true. If the government lowered how much they give to these people they would have to go out and find work, it's too much of an easy option to just claim benefits !

Yep, agree 100% with you!

The benefits system is good for people who are in genuine need of it, like your sister by the sounds of it, and it is needed, noone knows how safe their job is, and I like to think if my life changed dramatically in anyway and I was in dire need, I could get some sort of help if absolutely needed.

But yes, def the government not being stringent enough with people. A girl who used to work with me had a little girl, and had to go to the CAB to discuss her benefits for some reason or other, and they said to her "Do you realise if you left your job and stayed at home full time, you would actually be better off..... and if you told the benefits people you and your OH have split up, you will get even more"...... erm how is this helping?!?

x

this programme really made me feel bad about choosing a exspensive pram and carseat for LO, when the little boy sam can't even have nice school trousers :cry::cry:.

xx

Holly, I know what you mean. When I went in to wake my daughter this morning, I looked at all the stuff she has. She was cuddled up warm in her bed, snoring her head off surrounded by too many pillows on a double bed, with books and toys all around her. Seeing what Sam had was so sad-of all them I felt most sorry for him. Yet, as many said, I still can't understand why the house was as bad as it is.

Also, I hate seeing people use things like the coin TV. Go somewhere like Ikea and you can get furniture for dirt cheap. Ok, the bed may not look great but you could get one and own it outright for £50. Yet they pay four times that price for the same type and quality of goods because they can't find the money up front. It's criminal that companies like Bright House can rip people off so badly.

i agree ive just watched it on i player, and the bloke on his pS3 but yet couldnt afford to put food in the fridge, and i dont mean to sound harsh or anything but there not as poor as they make out, they'll be getting a lot of tax credits and living rent and council tax free my friend has 3 kids and doesnt work and she is quite well off with benefits its disgraseful and really annoys me when im payin 450 a month mortgage 100 council tax etc yet still manage to feed my son healthy food and buy him nice clothes and presents and i can guarantee theyve got more left than me at the end of the month,but yeah i did feel really sorry for the kids living in squalar like that and the boy havinbg to weargirls clothes you can get a pack of 3 school shirts for £4 from asda for goodness sake, bet the parents still manage to buy their ciggies judging by their yellow paintwork and black teeth x

xx

Holly, I know what you mean. When I went in to wake my daughter this morning, I looked at all the stuff she has. She was cuddled up warm in her bed, snoring her head off surrounded by too many pillows on a double bed, with books and toys all around her. Seeing what Sam had was so sad-of all them I felt most sorry for him. Yet, as many said, I still can't understand why the house was as bad as it is.

Also, I hate seeing people use things like the coin TV. Go somewhere like Ikea and you can get furniture for dirt cheap. Ok, the bed may not look great but you could get one and own it outright for £50. Yet they pay four times that price for the same type and quality of goods because they can't find the money up front. It's criminal that companies like Bright House can rip people off so badly.

i agree hun, the little boy sam got to me the most. but i have no idea why their house was as bad as it was, their was no excuse for the hygeine of the house either IMO. i didnt think of ikea, its so cheap there and they do some lovely stuff. me and OH have brought so much there as its great looking stuff at great prices.

it really does make me feel so lucky xxx

I just felt really sorry for they poor kids, I'm not going to judge anyone on it as I don't know there circumstances. my oh was laid off a while ago and it took him about 2 month to find an other job, its not easy he applied for loads and most don't even get back to you.
its easy to say they should find a job but its harder getting one especially if they are single parents and need 9-5 jobs.

that show made me extremely grateful for what I have

im sorry but im halfway through this and so far all the parents ive seen are negligent.

mould and damp are preventable and cheap to deal with. A bottle of bleach (which kills mould) costs as little as 20p and a summer with all the windows open would dry the place out. theres no point painting over mould. crisis loans are available for this type of thing.

The guy who is out of work- fair enough he is out of work... has he considered a job in macdonalds, or cleaning or god forbid- both. He looks a mess and cant even look after the house he has got (again a cloth to wipe down those disgusting blackened walls costs a quid for 20) i see they have the internet? why not ebay the sisters shirt and buy a boys shirt or sell it in a local jumble sale and buy a boys one that fits the poor lad? take the ripped trousers up so theyre shorts and sell them as school shorts to buy a second hand pair of trousers that fit.

And the single mum... allowing a toddler to have a lollipop? that will do wonders for her diet. if that bed was in my hosue id sew that bed lining back up and tell those girls off, thats lack of respect. And whyis she allowing them to roam the streets to get in to abandoned houses... the library is free, the park is free, swimming is free for kids, there are free playschemes, going on a long walk is free, getting a cardboard box and turning it in to a dolls house or building a den is free (or near enough) asking around for peoples old clothes so the girls can play dressing up is free, spending 2 hours making a pizza costs the same as buying everyone a pasty and getting the kids to help clean the garden and house is free (hey! a busy kid is a happy kid!)

with the tv thing as well... can the parents really not work out that its better to not have a tv or just have a teeny one from a chairty shop or freecycle than that monstrosity that is draining their electric? 480 pcm for a family of four is a lot.

these parents are all making excuses for their own lack of interest in life and their dirty ways.

480pcm for electric?? OMG!! id die haha unless i was like some millionair living in a 10bed mansion

Like a lot of you and I really felt for the kids.

The one young girl who was cutting the mould off her blinds to make her room a bit nicer was so sad. And with other little things like, she did her hair nicely, you could see she was trying to improve her situation/surroundings. I think she had a strong character and I bet she can break the cycle. But her mum looked like she had given up and I guess she was late 20s/early 30s and she had already lost her teeth... I just hope this little girl continues to strive for something better.

I also agree it costs nothing to be clean and tidy. In fact I was saying to my OH last night, we've lived in a bedsit and had a mixture of cheap and mismatching furniture. But we still tidied up and put things away properly. I've also lived in an ex-council flat which was also prone to mould and with cleaning and ventilation it can be controlled. It's horrible, don't get me wrong, but with a bit of effort and positive attitude, things can be better.

Also I thought it was sad to hear the older girl (14/15?) and her brother (Sam?) basically saying the same things their dad was saying ("there's no work/the government are rubbish, cos they haven't given me my benefits/are taking the jobs away" etc). This behaviour is learnt and they might struggle to break out of poverty now. I wish the schools helped these kids more, so they can see an alternative future. Poor Sam didn't even want to ever get married now... x x

Oh gosh that was awful wasn't it! That he now thinks that all women are like his selfish mum, and that he'll automatically end up a single father if he marries. I hope he has a better life when he grows up.

The little girl with eczema was just filthy. When she showed her leg at the end, her feet were black. It looks like she gets her bath oil for free, so they can't even claim to not able to afford soap. She needs a wash so bad!

I know! Poor girl. Also why was she putting on the cream outside with bare, dirty feet?? Surely her mum should have given her and bath and applied it for her. Poor kid was suffering, alone and outside. A bit of care and attention doesn't cost anything either... x x

I really think its too easy to judge these people when we really don't know the full extent of there circumstances. I feel heart sorry for the kids and really hope that their lives get better

I really think its too easy to judge these people when we really don't know the full extent of there circumstances.

That's very true, especially when these programmes are designed to make "good telly". I'm sure that they focus on the most extreme aspects... :flower: x x

I really think its too easy to judge these people when we really don't know the full extent of there circumstances.

That's very true, especially when these programmes are designed to make "good telly". I'm sure that they focus on the most extreme aspects... :flower: x x

exactly, they will have edited it to show all the worst bits, made me feel guilty for moaning when I don't have much money as I have everything I need x

wow just watched it, glad those flat blocks are being ripped down, the damp was obv a problem for the whole block so no amount of bleach would of stopped it from coming back again and again. I wonder to the single dad though he said the CB had not been paid for 2months for his eldest DD yet claimed it will be atlest a couple of £100 he is owed but its only £80 a month so at 6weeks its only maybe £100 he is owed.. My house is not the tidyist of all houses but if i was home full time with liek 8-10years olds who know better than to draw on walls etc i would make sure its bloody clean even if just for the tv crews coming in!! and why had that sam lad not been put on free school meals before?

I feel bad for the children but if the parents are not going to do anything about it where they can what chance do these children have of not following in the same footsteps

okay this is going to be long and rambling no doubt..

ive been in these peoples situation as a child, when i was tiny and my younger sister was born we ended up staying in a bedsit as my parents couldnt afford to rent anywhere, we lived off our familys BOGOF's and didnt do much in the way of going out etc..

we where then housed by council and had a realitively nice place, which my mum kept tidy at all times. we moved around a few times (im not sure of the reasoning behind all of our moves) we lived in places for 2 years and then moved on again.. when we where young we never had the chance to make friends as such because we would be moving again soon.. probably a good thing as everything we owned was second hand, we didnt have the gadgets everyone else got, we didnt have brand new clothes from trendy shops.

im the eldest of four, and my dad has on a few occasions gone out and got himself work, he delivered tvs for a while (whilst i stayed at home to baby sit the little ones) he worked as a mobile fish monger untill the loss at the end of the first year was too great, he helped his friend picking up cars from up and down the UK to be repaired, he worked as a mechanic and ran his own scrap yard.. untill someone burnt the yard down and my dad lost everything in it, insurance wouldnt cover anything inside because of the nature of the work, my dad has since suffered severe depression and is on incapacity benefit. he regularly thinks about hurting himself and recently went as far as cutting my mums name out of one of his tattoos with a stanley knife (money problems are ripping everything apart) my mum hasnt worked since i was born (20 years ago) as shes always stayed at home to look after the younger siblings.

weve never been on holiday, weve never had 'trendy' clothes, we dont have all the gadgets and things that everyone else has. my younger sister and brother recently needed new shoes, it actually got to the stage where there were holes through the bottoms before my parents where able to get shoes.

me and my younger sister (shes 18) work, i pay my parents £100 a month in rent etc and help out paying for things for the younger 2 as much as i can, my 18 year old sister gives her rent but then goes on to spend the rest of her pay on drink and drugs whilst fully taking advantage of everything within my parents house, i buy alot of my own food, i buy babys stuff and i help out with the siblings because my parents debt is getting bigger and bigger..

yes we have aot of our animals, and yes we probably would have alot more money as a family if we got rid of them, but its our way of life, its how we do things.

compared to the familys on this show we are now in a much better position than they are.. we have never missed a meal because we didnt have enough food ( we have had no snacks as they had all been eaten too fast but never missed a real meal) and if the 2 youngest wernt so spoilt then we would have alot more!
i didnt post this to be flamed or jumped on. just wanted to put it out there really...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->