Poor Weight Gain Week

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by indy and lara, Aug 27, 2009.

1. indy and lara

indy and lara Well-Known Member

Hi there

wondering if anyone has experience of this?

Emma is 10 weeks old now and is 10lbs 4. She was 4 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs 13. After intitial probs (down to 5lbs 2) she has gained weighed well- between 7 and 13 oz each week. This week however, she gained just 2 oz.

Now the nurse at the baby clinic said not to stress and that was totally fine for a bf baby to have a slow week- but of course I am stressing big time that I am not producing enough milk. The neo natal unti quite brutally told me that was the problem when Emma went down to 5lbs 2- it wasn't, she was jaundiced- but this has haunted me ever since and i only feel confident when she puts on weight. Emma has reflux and has a rough few days until her meds have been adjusted again today.

Just wanting to hear anyone else's experiences with this. Does it sound ok to you?
    Thanks

lesley
    x

2. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I've had and am having similar issues with weight gain but to be honest, 2oz in one week isn't bad at all and you'll probably find she'll gain more over the next few weeks to make up for it. My LO only gained 2oz in a 2 week period but gained about 8oz the next week. It's now slowed down again (0.5 oz in the last 2 weeks!) but she's happy and healthy and thriving and I've been told not to worry at all by the HV. This after a previous HV telling me my milk mustn't have enough calories :grr:

As long as you're getting wet and dirty nappies and she seems happy and alert to you, I wouldn't worry. I honestly think your instincts will tell you if there's a problem. You're doing great!

3. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I've had and am having similar issues with weight gain but to be honest, 2oz in one week isn't bad at all and you'll probably find she'll gain more over the next few weeks to make up for it. My LO only gained 2oz in a 2 week period but gained about 8oz the next week. It's now slowed down again (0.5 oz in the last 2 weeks!) but she's happy and healthy and thriving and I've been told not to worry at all by the HV. This after a previous HV telling me my milk mustn't have enough calories :grr:

As long as you're getting wet and dirty nappies and she seems happy and alert to you, I wouldn't worry. I honestly think your instincts will tell you if there's a problem. You're doing great!

4. mari72

mari72 Well-Known Member

my little girls weight gain slowed down at about the same time, she went from gaining about 8oz a week to 2/3oz and like you i got stressed about supply etc however i'm still feeding her at 7 months+ and while her weight gain has never been as dramatic as it was in the initial weeks she has gained steadily. At birth she was 8lb4oz and at her 6 month hospital review she was 14lb9oz. The paediatrician who saw her was more than happy with her weight.
    When Ellis' weight gain slowed i looked it up and it can be quite common with bf babies to slow down. I have to say that all the health professionals i came into contact with were all very supportive and said as long as she was gaining thats all that mattered.
    Important thing for you to do is to look after yourself-try not to stress as that doesn't help and make sure you're taking plenty fluids and have a good balanced diet-and as much rest as baby will allow!
    Keep up the good work and have faith in your body xx