poorly 5 month old

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by dizzymeg, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dizzymeg

dizzymeg Well-Known Member

Hi all
    Olly has a cold, it is 3rd. He has runny eyes, which become gungy, he is grumpy and a bit off his food. just wanted to check I am doing the right stuff
    - he has had some calpol as he had a very small fever yesterday, so we gave him 2 2.5 ml dose,and have done the same today
    - steamy shower/bath time
    - karvol on a hanky
    - saline solution for his nose- is there a limit to how many sprays he can have? on the bottle just says repeat as required, so not sure on that

any other things i can do to help him? should i take him to the dr? he started bring ill on friday evening. He is just over 5 months old

Thanks
    xxx

2. A3my

A3my I am so lucky!

It sounds like he might have conjunctivitus so I'd maybe take him to the doctors for that. You can clean his eyes with cooled boiled water and use cotton wool. Other than that you are doing all the things I would - I hope he gets better soon. xx

3. cw1975

cw1975 Mummy to Archie

Just keep an eye on LO temp. if it's the dreaded 'viral infection' Archie's had it for five weeks :(

4. dizzymeg

what 5 weeks?! how do you tell if they have that? we took his temp yesterday ( saturday) and it was only slightly high, we didnt take it again today, but will tomorrow.
    I have been wiping his eyes with cooled boiled water already, forgot that on the list.
    Do you think it would be ok to take him for a walk tomorrow? would the fresh air help, it is supposed to be pretty cold here though, about 3-5 degrees i think?
    Poor thing, looks so poorly. x

5. lindsayryan

lindsayryan Well-Known Member

If he is finding it hard to breathe when sleeping cos of blocked nose prop the matrass up with a pillow underneath it, i found this really helped....also used the room vapour for babies in some water about radiator. I would take him for a walk, just make sure he is nice and warm dont really think the cold gets to them when they are all wrapped up in the pram, if anything it will send him to sleep and they need plenty of it to help them get better x

6. dizzymeg

yea we went for a walk this morn, think the fresh air was good for the both of us. went to see the dr as his eyes still pretty gungy, he gave us some drops for them. also gave us drops for nose, just saline ones to help him feed.
    hopefully he will be better soon. poor thing is still so grumpy!
    x

7. FLUMPY1984

FLUMPY1984 Well-Known Member

Just give him plenty to drink hun and calpol (no more than 4 doses in 24 hours)
    Use the saline drops

Keep him propped up

If you want you can put a bit of the karvol or oil in a bowl of warm water in the room you are in as it helps humidify it. You can also put him in the shower room and let it steam up.

Keep using the drops for his eyes. Conjunctivitis is apparently going around so the drops should help. You can keep bathing them too xx

8. A3my

A3my I am so lucky!

great news, hopefully he will get better soon. Its horrible when they are ill isnt it! I think getting out for fresh air is good for them and good for you too :hugs:

9. cw1975

cw1975 Mummy to Archie

started off with vomiting, then he got a cold, then he got a hacking cough, then the cough started being so harsh it was making him vomit again.. stopped vomiting and the cold came back and now we are back to the cough and the entire time his temperature is hovering between 38 and 39.

The nursery asked me to take him to the doctors (again) to check it wasn't a chest infection that might spread through the nursery, doctor gave him antibiotics which he got an allergic reaction to :(

We still have the hacking cough, snotty nose, watery eyes, temperature up and down and the hospital told me nothing he could have to shift it and it would clear up in its own time x