Portion Size for 1 Year Old

Juicyg

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm curious and can't find anything that is solid on the internet as to what sort of portion sizes I should be giving my 1 year old.

We have an issue with vomiting and I'm trying to eliminate things, one of them by reassuring myself he isn't eating too much.

So here is what he usually eats in a day:

Breakfast: 1 slice of toast with some margarine & marmalade or 1 weetabix with a splodge of jam

Lunch: Half a sandwich of either cheese,ham or chicken, sometimes a mix. Up to a half of a pack of some sort of little crisps, although some days he doesn't want any.
And some fruit for dessert, at the moment blueberries are his favourite.

Dinner: Usually a home cooked meal of some sort, typically he has a tommee tippee freezer pot size of a meal. If it has potato in the meal I leave it as it is and add some veg to it, if it doesn't have potato then I add either the equivalent to 1 roast potato or some cous cous.
He will then have something for dessert, either more fruit or sometimes he has a fruit puree pot, sometimes he has a barny bear cake or organix biscuit of some sort.

On top of this he has 2 6oz bottles a day, one at the start of the day and one at the end of the day. He doesn't always drink them all.

And sometimes but not every day he might have a snack at around 11am...usually fruit, like a banana.

Does this seem too much??x

Doesn't seem too much to me,my son has a big appetite and doesn't leave one bit of his food lol, a typical day for us:

Breakfast: bowl of Cheerios and blueberries/raspberries

Snack: rice cake ( doesn't always want snack)

Lunch: sandwich, half a bag of baby crisps( some days), cheese,cucumber and yoghurt

Snack: fruit or biscuit

Tea: spaghetti Bol or meat veg etc and fruit pot

My boy has a 6oz bottle in morn and bedtime

All babies are different and will eat different amounts,my boy jus loves his food and never plays with it.His cousin who's same age will least less

Aw thanks for replying that's made me feel much better.

I was worrying that the reason he is vomiting is due to over feeding. I don't think it is as he always shakes his head or spits food out if he has had enough.

He had reflux when he was younger so wondering if it's still that or something else. Just trying to figure it out as he doesn't vomit all the time...

May start a food diary and go from there :)

to be honest i just feed him until he starts losing interest / playing with his food.
the amount varies each day :)

I reckon my 13 mo has roughly the same as your lo including the same 2 6oz bottles, sometimes also a small snack mid morning and afternoon 😊

My almost 11 month old eats way more haha! She's a bottomless pit, but is still teeny! (Well, she's actually 50th centile, but she looks tiny.)

Today she had...

Breakfast - slice of buttered toast, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 box of raisins

Snack - handful of skips and some slices of Apple (in the trolley at tesco!)

Lunch - picnic type lunch (ham, cheese, sweetcorn, cucumber, Annabel Karmel biscuit) an she had a whole tangerine after.

Dinner - crispy sweet chili pork wth onions and noodles (she ate about 5 strips of pork and a big pile of noodles) with some baby corn and green beans.
Followed by grapes and a yoghurt.

She also had 6oz in the morning and same at bedtime.

Thank you all so much for replying...you have all made me feel alot better about what I'm feeding my little boy.
At least now I can head to the docs about his vomiting and confidently say that I'm not over feeding him. Xx

Definetely doesn't sound like too much, my kids had probably twice as much at 1. Good luck with finding the source of the vomiting.

No that's not too much at all. Iv even heard babies rarely over feed and if anything like mine she will push it away or throw it if she's had enough

Breakfast is a bowl of porridge with some fruit purée and a handful of dry cereal as usually she is impatient or wants to snack after

Lunch is half a slice of toast or half a sandwhich. She then has a handful of fruit either strawberries banana or peaches usually. She will then eat 2 small yoghurts the 50g ones and then maybe even a handful of crisps if she's still hungry.

Dinner is usually a bowl of what we are having or a small plate of food.

6oz bottle at bedtime.

She also has two snacks a day between meals. A portion size is a kiddie bowl usually filled right to the top as she has a big appetite. She eats the same of not more than my fussy 3yr old

If he is feeding himself, he really can't be overfed. I would say that amount sounds perfectly fine and probably less than my daughter was eating at 1 (and she's on the smaller side). She could easily eat a full adult sized bowl of porridge plus a whole banana for breakfast! They know what they need so I wouldn't worry about overfeeding as long as he's happy to eat it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->