Positions you gave birth in at home on dry land

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
Hi

Following on from my wobbles post, I was wondering what positions and where in your home you gave birth. I was hoping for a waterbirth but it's looking less and less likely so I'm looking for ideas of where to give birth on dry land as I don't want to give birth on my bed (not really sure why, it just doesn't appeal to me, I feel I'd rather be downstairs for some reason).

I gave birth to DS on dry land in the birth centre, I was in a squatted position in front of hubby who was sat on a chair supporting me. I don't really want to do that this time as I couldn't keep pushing myself back up and down and I have spd this time so it'd be too painful on my legs/pelvis to be going up and down all the time.

I've an idea how I'll be comfortable during the first stage, but for the second stage I'm not sure where I'll want to be and I like to have an idea of how things will go before they happen iykwim. I know you can't say "oh yes I'll want to be x y or z." but if I had some ideas to try out before b-day I think it might help me relax about it a bit more.

Thanks in anticipation if anyone can help :flower:

xx

I gave birth on a birth stool in my dining room. My friend laboured till she knew it was 'time' then got on her recliner chair as it was a nice position. All fours is a popular one too - leaning into sofas and footstools.

It was in water, but I can't see that it would be any different on dry land;
Leaning out over the pool side, (could use a chair, or the sofa) with one leg bent to the side (foot on the floor), and the other with my knee on the floor. I could be semi upright, and have my legs spread a bit when I wanted, and sway, swoosh and rise up and down a bit using my thighs.
XxX

During the last hour of labour I was mainly sitting on my birth ball in the sitting room. For pushing, I alternated between standing and kneeling with my arms on the back or seat of the sofa for support.

Leaning out over the pool side, (could use a chair, or the sofa) with one leg bent to the side (foot on the floor), and the other with my knee on the floor. I could be semi upright, and have my legs spread a bit when I wanted, and sway, swoosh and rise up and down a bit using my thighs.
XxX

Thought I'd add my artists (I use the word very loosely!) impression!
Hahaha!
xXx

Attachments

• Birth position.GIF
    Birth position.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 73
:haha::haha: Love the picture!! :rofl:

I have no idea about positions I haven't thought about it as I'm hoping to be in the pool but I guess I'll just go with whatever feels right at the time if I have to get out of the pool for any reason.. on all fours sounds like the most comfortable I would think. x

XxX

Hahaha!
xXx

:rofl: :rofl:

I gave birth in my living room standing and squating.

Thank you. I'm thinking this will probably be a popular one, and positions I will most likely consider for Skippy's delivery. I just need to make sure hubby follows me round with the waterproof sheeting:haha:

xx

I gave birth on a birth stool in my dining room. My friend laboured till she knew it was 'time' then got on her recliner chair as it was a nice position. All fours is a popular one too - leaning into sofas and footstools.

Thank you. I'm thinking leaning into the sofa/dining chairs will be something I definitely consider as it seems to fit with how I wanted to move around in previous labours.

xx

XxX

Thank you. I remember when in labour with DS that on dry land there wasn't the weightlessness that there was in the water with DD. I was looking for places and positions I can use in and around my home as our bath is tiny so only my bum and feet are actually covered by the water at the moment lol :haha:

I'm thinking leaning forward is something I'll most likely want to do when pushing as it's definitely how I was feeling when I was in the first stages with DS and DD.

xx

During the last hour of labour I was mainly sitting on my birth ball in the sitting room. For pushing, I alternated between standing and kneeling with my arms on the back or seat of the sofa for support.

Thank you. I've got a birth ball so I suspect I'll be on that for quite a while during labour. Standing/kneeling resting on the sofa or dining chair is something I think I'll definitely feel comfortable doing.

xx

XxX

Hahaha!
xXx

Lol, love your drawing!! :haha:

xx

:haha::haha: Love the picture!! :rofl:

I have no idea about positions I haven't thought about it as I'm hoping to be in the pool but I guess I'll just go with whatever feels right at the time if I have to get out of the pool for any reason.. on all fours sounds like the most comfortable I would think. x

Thank you. All fours is something I think I'll consider as leaning forwards is how I feel comfortable at the moment and also what I wanted to do in labour with DS and DD.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->