Positive 10+ Years Vasectomy Reversal Stories???

Hopesfor2013

Reaction score
Hellooo

I am new to here and would really appreciate any information / success stories out there.

I am 30 years old, never been pregnant, never tried to get pregnant. My partner is 38 years old, has a child from first marriage (13 years old). He had his vasectomy 10 1/2 years ago.

We are booked in for the reversal in January 2013 with Dr Dawson at the Hartlepool Clinic (UK).

I am a little anxious about the whole thing as I have read that our chances are quite slim as he had his vasectomy over 10 years ago.

Anyone had success after 10 - 11 years?

Many thanks for your time

xx

Hi,

I'm also new to this site but came across your post and thought I would share my story with you.

Like you I'm 30 never been pregnant, never tried to get pregnant. My Husband has 3 children from his first marriage and had a vasectomy approx 10 years ago.

A few years ago we decided that we wanted to start a family and in Dec 2010 he had a reversal. Like you I was extremely anxious and was devastated when the results came back showing no sperm present at the 3 month analysis. We waited until 12 months and got retested but sadly the results were the same.

We opted to have the Reversal redone in July 2012 by a different clinic), this time with a retrieval (so we are now 10 years since vasectomy. The surgeon was only able to reattach one side but we were also able to freeze 5 attempts should we need to go down the IVF/ICSI route.

In October 2012 my husband went for his 12 week test and two weeks later the Doc confirmed that there was sperm present (around 2 million per ml, I believe the normal range is around 20 million per ml.......so not fantastic but miles better than our first attempt). Following these results it was recommended to freeze more sperm so that resulted in another 4 attempts being frozen.

The Doc discussed either trying IVF/ICSI now or waiting a few months and trying naturally. Given the cost associated we decided to wait a few months and get retested in Feb 2013 to see if there was any improvement.

I'm so glad that we opted to try naturally rather than jumping down the IVF/ICSI route. I took a pregnancy test this week (Well 6!!:thumbup:) and it turns out I'm pregnant!!!

Still can't quite believe it given we only have been trying this time for a couple of months but I hope this provides you with some sort of encouragement that it can and does happen.

Wishing you all the luck in the world. It doesn't matter how slim your chances are, it only takes 1. I hope that you get the results you hope for.

xxxx

That's really encouraging to me...My DH has really low motility and I think what you say is right...it only takes 1 good one! We continue trying naturally and keep hoping for a little miracle!!

LizzyRose I'm so glad that my story is of encouragement to you. I know only too well the highs and lows of the whole process and at times it can be extremely hard.

I was a bit niave going for our analysis results so don't really know all the in's and out's of our results, I guess it's one of those things that as soon as we heard there was something there all the questions we should have asked went out the window!

I really hope that things work out for you, wishing you all the best through this emotional rollercoaster!

xx

Hi sweetie82

Thank you so much for your reply. Your story has given me hope.

Congratulations to you and your partner, the best Christmas present ever I bet!

xxx

Hi

Just looking for some advice please ladies...

..we had the vasectomy reversal in Januuary 2013. Dr Dawson was only able to connect one side but felt that the op had been successful.

We went for first semen analysis 9 weeks after the op and it showed nothing - not one sperm, dead or alive. I have been absolutely devastated by this and I am thinking that the operation has failed. Dr Dawson said to come back in 2 months time for another test.

Has anyone had this happen to them? If so has the sperm magically appeared or do I have to listen to my heart and accept that this has failed?

Many many thanks for your replies.

xxxx

9 weeks seems fairly early to be tested and I believe a negative result after a year is classed as a failure. Our first attempt showed nothing at both 12 weeks and 1 year but our second VR was a success with only one side attached. I'm not sure of the statistics but I'm sure there's still a chance that your next test could show something.

With both we were never tested as early as 9 weeks, the earliest was 12.

I know how hard it is to stay positive but I wouldn't admit anything until the doc tells you it's failed, everyone recovers differently.

I really hope your next test results are more positive and you get your hopes for 2013.

Please keep me posted xxx

Thanks sweetie82 for your kind reply. We have another SA booked in for the end of May so hopefully there will be something there. We have been using a microscope at home but to be honest haven't got a clue what we are looking for!

Reading your reply I see you had a re-do reversal, who was that with if you don't mind me asking? We were just going to go straight on to ivf if it has failed.

Thanks again for your reply xxx

Hi Hopesfor2013

Sorry for not responding to you question sooner, we went to spire shawfair in Edinburgh, Dr Donat performed the op.

Hav you had you next analysis? If so hodid you get on?

Xxxx

Hi Sweetie82

Thanks for your reply.

We went for second SA and still zero - as expected as we have been scoping at home. We had the SA done at Dr Dawson's surgery. His only explanation was that "something must have gone wrong with the plumbing" and he advised a re-do before we look into IVF. Anyway, long story short, lots of crying, lots of stress, we had the re-do two weeks ago with Dr Dawson. There was a blockage after all but this time there was no sperm present, only "scanty clear fluid".

I am thinking this has also been a failure and another £2,600 taken from the IVF fund. Life is not nice sometimes!!!

I don't blame Dr Dawson as he only has what's on the table to work with. Maybe vasectomy reversal wasn't for us after all.

Thanks again for your reply.

xxxxx

Hi Sweetie82

Thanks for your reply.

We went for second SA and still zero - as expected as we have been scoping at home. We had the SA done at Dr Dawson's surgery. His only explanation was that "something must have gone wrong with the plumbing" and he advised a re-do before we look into IVF. Anyway, long story short, lots of crying, lots of stress, we had the re-do two weeks ago with Dr Dawson. There was a blockage after all but this time there was no sperm present, only "scanty clear fluid".

I am thinking this has also been a failure and another £2,600 taken from the IVF fund. Life is not nice sometimes!!!

I don't blame Dr Dawson as he only has what's on the table to work with. Maybe vasectomy reversal wasn't for us after all.

Thanks again for your reply.

xxxxx

Sorry its not worked for you, I heard Dr Harriss in Nottingham is amazing with reversals and re-do's. My dh recently had his vr and we decided to go with Spire as id seen so many failures from dr Dawson, dont get me wrong he certainly had some good results too. Dh also just hates Hartlepool in general so it was a no as soon as I mentioned it :)

Anyway, dh has his first sa next week so im praying for something, even if its small.

Hope things work out for you x

Thanks.

Fingers crossed for your SA next week. I am sure you will be fine, think we were just one of the unlucky couples out there.

xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->