positive home preg tests and neg doctors test

D

dmestiza

i went to c a doctor because i had 3 preg tests show dark positive lines(i showed the doctor my preg test results), he said i was definitely pregnant and to do a blood test, but he didnt do a urine and probly kuz the tests i showed him were very positive tests... but i wanted to confirm if i was really pregnant and went to another doctor, had a preg test and it was negative... so i didnt do a blood test...
When i got the 3 distinct positive lines i had some blood in my urine... could this have made my tests positive??? and does blood in the urine effect preg tests??? i have pcos so my periods are very wack and irregular... so thats why i tested... too see if i could possibly be pregnant... the positive tests came up within 5 mins...

Any help will dooo...!!!!! thanks in advance :)

I dont know about the blood effecting tests, but the tests my doctor uses are not very sensitive, so your home tests could have been more sensitive so showing a line? have you taken another test at home since then?
If another positive pops up id go see your DR and ask for a blood test (my doctor is really nice and it seems like i can ask for something like this without too many questions) Good luck!

I dont know about the blood effecting tests, but the tests my doctor uses are not very sensitive, so your home tests could have been more sensitive so showing a line? have you taken another test at home since then?
If another positive pops up id go see your DR and ask for a blood test (my doctor is really nice and it seems like i can ask for something like this without too many questions) Good luck!

thanx for your reply... i got the 3 positive really dark lines in one day and then the next day i did a first response test (with not enough urine in my cupp)-- silly me... hehehe... and it was negative... the 3 positive tests where the cassette type i purchased of ebay-- the unitest brand... i will see my doctor if i get another positive, thanks again...

I had 4 home positives then a doctors negative 2 days later. Waited a week (obviously knew I was pregnant !) then got positive at doctors. Their tests aren't as sensitive.

The doctor's urine tests aren't as sensitive, but if you want to know for sure, go back and have a blood test done...a pregnancy isn't considered 'confirmed' until you get that positive blood test!

i went to c a doctor because i had 3 preg tests show dark positive lines(i showed the doctor my preg test results), he said i was definitely pregnant and to do a blood test, but he didnt do a urine and probly kuz the tests i showed him were very positive tests... but i wanted to confirm if i was really pregnant and went to another doctor, had a preg test and it was negative... so i didnt do a blood test...
When i got the 3 distinct positive lines i had some blood in my urine... could this have made my tests positive??? and does blood in the urine effect preg tests??? i have pcos so my periods are very wack and irregular... so thats why i tested... too see if i could possibly be pregnant... the positive tests came up within 5 mins...

Any help will dooo...!!!!! thanks in advance :)

Hiya, sorry no help with regards to test results, but as other posters have said they've experienced the same thing, as drs tests aren't as sensitive I have my fingers crossed for you :thumbup:

I just wanted to say I'm not sure blood in urine is a normal thing, I think you should get that checked out at the drs, best to be safe.

Good luck :thumbup: xxx

Blood wouldn't interfere with the antibody reaction of a preg test.
How do you know there was blood? How much was it?
Was your urine slightly pink, bright red? Or was it vaginal blood?

I just want to share my recent experience with you. I ovulated on September 26th, and got positive tests from October 6-12th. I went in for a doctors appointment on the 14th and when the doctor did a pregnancy test their was a faint line, but not dark enough for a confirmation so she told me to wait a week and come back if I didn't start bleeding. It really freaked me out so I did another hpt the next morning using first morning urine and it came back negative. The next day I started bleeding very heavily (20dpo). I went back into the doctors and they confirmed an early miscarriage at 5 weeks 4 days.

I was absolutely devestated, but the doctor explained to me that their test was inconclusive because it was detecting the drop in hcg. She went on to explain to me that while early tests can be a good thing if you find yourself to be pregnant, but it is a doubled edged sword. She said up to 75% of all pregnancies end in a miscarriage before a standard pregnancy test would be positive, but because the hormone is able to be detected earlier more people are aware of the loss.

I hate to say it and sound like a Debbie downer, but if the doctors test came back negative, and the home test you took also came back negative, you are most likely not pregnant. It seems to me if you had the positives then you may have had a fertilized egg try to implant, but it wasn't able to properly attach and therefore stopped producing hcg.

I think the main thing to find out is WHY was there blood in your urine? The only things aside from pregnancy that can make a test a false positive is certain cancers and kidney/ liver failure so blood in urine is probably something to get checked out.

The doctor's urine tests aren't as sensitive, but if you want to know for sure, go back and have a blood test done...a pregnancy isn't considered 'confirmed' until you get that positive blood test!

Well my doctor doesn't do hcg bloods if you've got clearly positive urine tests, so I guess my 9 month old son isn't "confirmed" then!

Completely false! I have never had a doctor order a blood test unless they suspected dropping hcg (MC on the way) or their urine test was BFN and they want to make sure. If they get a positive urine test it IS confirmed.

Well my doctor doesn't do hcg bloods if you've got clearly positive urine tests, so I guess my 9 month old son isn't "confirmed" then!

Mine either, I was thinking the same thing!

That's not exactly what I meant.... If you are just finding out you are pregnant, hcg is in your blood before urine, and if it is a chemical or miscarriage it leaves your blood first. You can get a light line on a hpt but get a negative blood test because of this. That's what I meant when i said it isn't confirmed until you get a blood test. I have also seen plenty of women on here get negative hpts, but go ahead and get bloods done and have them be positive...again, it's because the hcg is in your blood before your urine.
I think it's different here in the states. If you ask for a blood test, a doctor will do it (especially if you have insurance) because there is no reason not to. It takes the guesswork out of trying to read faint lines on hpts.

Completely false! I have never had a doctor order a blood test unless they suspected dropping hcg (MC on the way) or their urine test was BFN and they want to make sure. If they get a positive urine test it IS confirmed.

I've actually never heard of that before. Your doctor doesn't do 2 quantitative bloods to make sure you hcg is raising properly? How do you know if a pregnancy is viable? I don't think i'd want to wait until the first ultrasound to find out. Kind of cruel of the doc to let you think you're pregnant for 6-7 weeks only to find out you aren't on an ultrasound :(

I guess i'm amazed that a woman wouldn't just have it done. You are paying the doctor for a service...he/she is technically your employee. If you are asking for something as simple as a blood test and are paying for it, why would they refuse you the service? It's like hiring a lawyer...if they were giving you bad advice, would you just go with it solely based on the fact they were a lawyer? Same thing....they are your employee. You have the choice to follow their advice or not, but in the end you make the decision on what is going to happen and they have to follow it.

I've actually never heard of that before. Your doctor doesn't do 2 quantitative bloods to make sure you hcg is raising properly? How do you know if a pregnancy is viable? I don't think i'd want to wait until the first ultrasound to find out. Kind of cruel of the doc to let you think you're pregnant for 6-7 weeks only to find out you aren't on an ultrasound :(

I guess i'm amazed that a woman wouldn't just have it done. You are paying the doctor for a service...he/she is technically your employee. If you are asking for something as simple as a blood test and are paying for it, why would they refuse you the service? It's like hiring a lawyer...if they were giving you bad advice, would you just go with it solely based on the fact they were a lawyer? Same thing....they are your employee. You have the choice to follow their advice or not, but in the end you make the decision on what is going to happen and they have to follow it.
If there is no reason to suspect a MC then no I don't want repeat hcg. I did have them with my MMC but they suspected a MC because of no growth and lack of heartbeat at our second US. I think it's a waste of resources unless you have a reason to suspect a MC is coming. I never once had blood hcg levels done with my twins. They got the line on their test and said congrats you're pregnant.

I think all doctors surgerys are different, my doctor each time I was pregnant after getting a strong positive urine test in their surgery told me I was definitely pregnant but then sent me to nurse for bloods not to confirm hcg amount he just said to have it confirmed , but my friend at a different surgery in the next town didnt have to have bloods, but I know its standard at my surgery as others I know have had to do the same thing, they wonder why people get confused when things like this arent consistent with all surgeries xx

I think all doctors surgerys are different, my doctor each time I was pregnant after getting a strong positive urine test in their surgery told me I was definitely pregnant but then sent me to nurse for bloods not to confirm hcg amount he just said to have it confirmed , but my friend at a different surgery in the next town didnt have to have bloods, but I know its standard at my surgery as others I know have had to do the same thing, they wonder why people get confused when things like this arent consistent with all surgeries xx

I'm in England, crazy how things are different even within uk, on all 3 of my pregnancies I've never had any blood tests done for HCG. Nor urine pregnancy tests, I've gone to the drs told them I'm pregnant and then they book me in to see my midwife @ 8 weeks who then refer me for my 12 week scan!

:flower:x

Yup I'm in aus and we def don't do blood hcg here. It's not entirely accurate and can cause unnecessary worry

Here they don't even have you come in to the dr till 10 weeks pregnant unless you are high risk, bleeding, etc. But then they do an us to check everything.

Anyways I feel like this thread got a little off topic. I have no advice as for blood affecting the tests but I would keep testing with fmu and see if your dr might let you do bloodwork because of your testing situation. Good luck :flower:

My dr doesn't do blood tests for pregnancy. They certainly wouldn't do more than one to check hcg numbers are increasing. I'm in the UK so I don't pay for my healthcare (thankfully) When I was pregnant with ds I went to my gp and said I'd done a hpt and it was positive, she said congratulations, worked out my dates from my lmp and told me to wait for a letter with the date of my 12 week scan. I ended up paying for a private scan at 7 weeks pregnant cos I'm a worrier, but the nhs would never allowed one. Even if you think your mc my doctors have a wait and see approach, they wouldn't just send you for a scan straight away. I think that's the general approach in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"