Positive pregnancy test 5 weeks after blighted ovum?

KarunaSindhu

Reaction score
This is my sister. I wanted to refer her to all you kind ladies for help, but her internet is spotty, so I am asking her question for her.

My sister was diagnosed with a blighted ovum on January 12. She just took a pregnancy test a few days ago, and it came up positive. Is it possible that this could be from leftover hormones from the blighted ovum?

Of course we are hoping she is actually pregnant, but don't want to get our hopes up. She currently has no health insurance (working on that) so going to a doctor is not an easy option.

A few more details: her last period was in the end of October, and she got a positive pregnancy test in November. Went along to January 12, then started light bleeding. Went to ER and was diagnosed with blighted ovum. Started bleeding heavily (like a normal period) around January 20th, this lessened by the 27th, and then it was just small amounts of old blood for a few weeks. And that brings us to yesterday, when she decided to take another pregnancy test, because she had been having some cramping, but no period.

Anyone have experience or knowledge of this? I know you can get positive pregnancy tests for a while after a miscarriage or blighted ovum, just not sure for how long.

Thanks, everyone!

Its a sticky sort of question that doesnt have an exact place.

Now did she ever have a negative test? If not then it will be a little harder to work out. Was it a faint line on the test or a strong positive one? I would be likely to say a new pregnancy as its very possible to conceive immediately, I think an ultrasound scan may be the only diagnosis in this case, good luck to your sister x

No real experience of this but I'm pretty sure I've read before that you can be extremely fertile right after a loss. And it seems like those dates would add up for your sister?

I'd say test at the same time of day for a few days and see if her line gets any darker x

Thank you to both of you! I read your responses to my sister, and she said it really helped.

She never did a pregnancy test after the blighted ovum (until a few days ago) so we don't know if it would have been negative. Guess this is a "wait and see" situation, as she can't get to the doctor right away.

She'll probably buy some digital tests (the ones that tell you roughly how many weeks you are) and take them a week or 2 apart (if she can't get to a doc before then). If she keeps getting positives, and the numbers go up, then she'll know it's something new, not just the old hormones.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->