Positive test at home, neg. at doctors?

jwilly

TTCAL
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have a question for you all & I am hoping to find someone who has been in the same boat (hopefully with positive results :) )

Friday, Saturday and Sunday I took an internet cheapie, and received a faint positive that got increasingly darker each time (still faint but definitely there as of sunday). Sunday I also took a FRER with FMU and got a very obvious positive at 15DPO. I proceeded to make an appointment with my dr to confirm. This morning I also took a Clearblue digital test (I had one at home already and figured why not). Positive 1-2 weeks.

I went to the doctor this afternoon and my urine test there was negative. She has sent me for blood work, but I don't get the results for 24-48 hours and I am so impatient and nervous!

Has anyone had this happen? I am assuming that their test is not as sensitive as an FRER, but even I got a positive on Sunday on my cheapie. My temps are still up so I am assuming that is also a good sign, but it is my first pregnancy and I am not sure what is "normal"!

Attachments

• IMG_8386.jpg
    IMG_8386.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 35
I had this with my 6 year old, you're right, the tests
Just aren't as sensitive- you're definitely pregnant, congrats!

Thank you LoraLoo! I was hoping that was the problem. I haven't had any unusual bleeding or anything either, but it was very disconcerting to have a negative at the doctors (you would think/hope that their tests would be as sensitive as our HPTs)!

I know, I think they literally wait 10 seconds and discard it too! They had me worrying so much- they were suggesting ectopic and alsorts even though my tests were clearly positive! I'm sure everything is absolutely fine x

I thought that too! From the time she took my urine sample to the time she came back to tell me it was negative, she was only gone about 30 seconds. Thank you so much, I do feel better now :)

When I went to hospital they tested negative but I'm still pregnant trust me! :haha:
The lady said it's probably because of the time of day/how dilute your urine is at the time of testing.

Ah Kiki, thanks, that makes sense as well! I am a huge water drinker, and all other tests I had taken were with fmu. This was probably the first test I had done with diluted urine.

I was nearly 5 weeks (4w6d) when I went to see my midwife for the first time. I wasn't supposed to see her so early, but there was a mix up and the office referring me went ahead and made an appointment right away. I went to the appointment nervous but without reason to be. My tests at that point (literally two hours before going) were finally dark enough that the control line and test line matched (these were cheap tests, too, not super sensitive FRERs.) When the midwife walked in, I knew something was wrong. She seemed irritated and was rambling on about how she wished things were like they were "40 years ago" when women weren't "allowed" to come in until they had missed at least 2 periods-- and they certainly couldn't test at home. Then she told me that my test was very, very light. She said she doubted that it was a viable pregnancy and suspected it may be ectopic!

I had my betas drawn that day and my hcg was at 664. I could not believe that she was giving me a hard time about having to "squint" to see the line when my betas were that high. They must have pregnancy tests that read clear positives at hcg levels of 1000, or something. I went one week later to have an ultrasound done to rule out an ectopic pregnancy, and I saw a perfect gestational sac. The sac was empty, but I was only 5w6d, so that can be normal for that stage. I had an HCG level taken the same day as my ultrasound and it was 7654 (or so), which meant it had doubled perfectly since the last test. While I haven't had another ultrasound yet to confirm a baby w/ heartbeat, I am now 8 weeks along and still pregnant. My midwife called me personally after the results of the second beta to tell me that my pregnancy was officially "viable". I'm still pretty upset about it, though. All that stress and worry simply because they have the crappiest tests know to man? Ugh.

I hope you end up in a similar situation. Definitely don't give up yet. :hugs:

Isme, congratulations on your little one and so sorry for all the stress! I know exactly how you feel. I don't understand why as a doctor they wouldn't want to try and decrease the stress that we feel in early pregnancy already. Not once did she bring up the fact that my urine could have been diluted, or that she didn't wait the full two minutes, or that she was considering it negative because it was faint (I would only be 4w4d).

Thanks for your help, i look forward to getting my blood work back to confirm that everything is okay O:)

My doctor very patronisingly told me " I am sorry, you are mistaken, you are not pregnant..." Well my 9 year old is in bed now and i can assure you he is here :thumbup: Sometimes the doc's keep the tests so long that they go off......

Happened me this time too
But my tests were more sensitive than hers
And she waited 2 secs like others said.
Bloods came back pos and fine :)
They r used to people waiting till 6 weeks or later to go to them
I g early cos of past history
Xx

Thanks liles. I don't think she really took into account the fact that I am only 4.5 weeks. I wouldn't have even made an appointment but when I called the drs office (basically to ask I'm pregnant what next) they booked me in. Now i am wishing I never bothered! Tomorrow morning I am going to take another test at home anyways just to make sure my line is still there.

Yes me!!! My second pregnancy. Drs office test was total negative. She told me I wasn't pregnant. Luckily I brought my 20 positive frers to show her in a ziplock bag lol. So she sent me for a beta. My hcg was 117! And her damn tests didn't pick it up. She explained to me that their urine tests are not sensitive at all. That was with my 2.5 year old. Don't even worry xox

Why do Drs worry us .
No fair.
I'm sure alls fine.
Their tests are soo crappy!!!
Xxx

Thanks ladies! It seems so silly for them to even bother with urine tests if theirs are so horrible anyways!

I did take another IC this morning (thought it was the same brand as the one I had done before, but it was different). Comparing the lines, I dont think that it is any darker than the one that I took on Sunday. I should have the results of my blood work back today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed but I am worried it will be bad news.

Attachments

• IMG_8406.jpg
    IMG_8406.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8408.jpg
    IMG_8408.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 22
I think it's a lot darker- but I will say IC are rubbish for showing progression and FRER are the best for it. X

When I went in for my urine test at the doctor's office the nurse didn't even let the dye settle before she called it negative. I brought 3 very positive at home tests with me to show them the positives i had gotten so she went back and rechecked the tests she did after a couple minutes and they were both positive. I don't think they give them enough time to develop. I'm now 12+2 with twins. Good luck!

This happened to me this time ! Called her back the next day saying I can bring my very positive pregnancy test with me ... She ended up drawing betas and bam guess what , she Called me the next day apologizing:) in now almost 11 weeks

These were taken day after Drs negative.
Two different brands.
Same urine.
Stronger line is a less sensitive test.
I stopped progression testing then.
I threw the 5 tests I had left in the bin , opened
To stop me testing :)

Attachments

• WP_20160325_07_01_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160325_07_01_11_Pro.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online